Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trans Gestapo Lost First Round...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trans Gestapo Lost First Round...

    Biden transgender health mandate blocked by federal court in Christian alliance's appeal

    Judge says no government agency should evaluate 'sincerity of another's religious beliefs'

    A federal district court Monday temporarily blocked the enforcement of two Biden administration mandates forcing both nonprofit and for-profit religious employers and health care providers to pay for and perform transgender medical procedures and counseling even if these measures violate the employers' or providers' religious beliefs.

    District Judge Daniel M. Traynor of the U.S. District Court of North Dakota ruled that the Christian Employers Alliance "has shown a likelihood of success on the merits" in its case.

    "No government agency ought to be in the business of evaluating the sincerity of another’s religious beliefs," Traynor wrote.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ristian-appeal
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Biden transgender health mandate blocked by federal court in Christian alliance's appeal

    Judge says no government agency should evaluate 'sincerity of another's religious beliefs'

    A federal district court Monday temporarily blocked the enforcement of two Biden administration mandates forcing both nonprofit and for-profit religious employers and health care providers to pay for and perform transgender medical procedures and counseling even if these measures violate the employers' or providers' religious beliefs.

    District Judge Daniel M. Traynor of the U.S. District Court of North Dakota ruled that the Christian Employers Alliance "has shown a likelihood of success on the merits" in its case.

    "No government agency ought to be in the business of evaluating the sincerity of another’s religious beliefs," Traynor wrote.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ristian-appeal
    I was pretty sure that was going to be the result if for no other reason than precedent. Years ago when the I.R.S. took one of these mail order ministries to court they lost in part based on that.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I was pretty sure that was going to be the result if for no other reason than precedent. Years ago when the I.R.S. took one of these mail order ministries to court they lost in part based on that.
      It doesn't stop them from trying... We need a two state solution...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by seer View Post

        It doesn't stop them from trying.
        No. It doesn't.

        Look at all the times that something Trump did got taken to court that were things explicitly spelled out i the Constitution as being under his purview. I cannot believe that they thought they could win but it hardly stopped them.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #5
          Wait, how can they force any employer to pay for trans surgery? No employer has to pay for anyone's healthcare. They can provide insurance as a benefit and the insurance can "pay" for any needed surgery (or whatever proportion they agree to). But usually even insurance won't cover trans surgery, as it is considered "elective"


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Wait, how can they force any employer to pay for trans surgery? No employer has to pay for anyone's healthcare. They can provide insurance as a benefit and the insurance can "pay" for any needed surgery (or whatever proportion they agree to). But usually even insurance won't cover trans surgery, as it is considered "elective"
            They can try - and they do!
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seer View Post

              They can try - and they do!
              Virtually anything can be insured for (or against) if you have enough money.



              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                What confuses me about the judge's statement is that existing federal guidance allows employers to judge the sincerity of claimed religious exemptions for things such as vaccinations, thus "sincerely held religious belief".

                Per one NPR write up on a nurse seeking an exemption to her employee's Covid shot mandate:

                Genderson says that according to federal guidance and previous court decisions, employers may consider several factors when assessing the sincerity of a religious belief.

                "Those factors can include whether the employee's behavior is inconsistent with the professed belief; the accommodation constitutes a desirable benefit likely to be sought for secular reasons; the timing of the request renders it suspect; or the employer has an objective reason to believe the accommodation is not sought for religious reasons," she explains.
                Should the employee disagree, and this dispute ended up in court, we would have what appears to the mechanism for the federal government doing precisely what the North Dakota judge claims cannot be done.

                (I'm not actually arguing with the merits of the decision here, but this legal claim doesn't seem right. Though I can also appreciate that we can distinguish between a Christian doctor who plainly would not be falsifying his beliefs, and someone claiming to worship the Church of Satan or Flying Spaghetti Monster to make a point.)
                Last edited by KingsGambit; 05-17-2022, 04:53 PM.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                Comment

                Related Threads

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Gondwanaland, Today, 01:42 PM
                1 response
                30 views
                0 likes
                Last Post KingsGambit  
                Started by NorrinRadd, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                35 responses
                229 views
                0 likes
                Last Post NorrinRadd  
                Started by seer, Yesterday, 04:40 PM
                13 responses
                91 views
                0 likes
                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                Started by seanD, 08-14-2022, 12:30 AM
                32 responses
                278 views
                0 likes
                Last Post NorrinRadd  
                Started by Thoughtful Monk, 08-12-2022, 12:39 PM
                19 responses
                163 views
                1 like
                Last Post tabibito  
                Working...
                X