Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

$40 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $40 Billion

Skyrocketing inflation, porous borders, oil shortages, greenies and globalists running the show. Yeah, we're doing just fine.

Oh, and $40 billion approved for a country that the Biden family has been shadily milking for their family fortune. Hmmm...

https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...437b50e829bbb2

hunter.jpg

The most cynical take is that the billions of dollars in aid being funneled to Ukraine is a massive money laundering scheme, and that prominent Democrats like Shifty Schiff, Nutsey Pelosi, and, of course the Biden crime family are in line to make millions. Thing is, this theory can't be entirely discounted.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The most cynical take is that the billions of dollars in aid being funneled to Ukraine is a massive money laundering scheme, and that prominent Democrats like Shifty Schiff, Nutsey Pelosi, and, of course the Biden crime family are in line to make millions. Thing is, this theory can't be entirely discounted.
      What are the Republicans getting out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It can when one realizes most of it is material, not actual money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

There are a lot of unaccounted dollars being thrown around. Also potential kickbacks from defense contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

What are the Republicans getting out of it?
            Who knows. Their pushback to the Democrat party's lavish spending sprees during this time of economic crisis have been disoncertingly muted.

Comment

Excess material that would otherwise have been sold (I hope).

I can't help but wonder if Biden would be so determined to keep Moldova's government afloat if it was invaded, or Belarus, or Georgia, or some non-European state. In a cynical take, it's almost as if he doesn't want Kyiv's government to collapse - because of what might be revealed if a new group takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Excess material that would otherwise have been sold (I hope).

I can't help but wonder if Biden would be so determined to keep Moldova's government afloat if it was invaded, or Belarus, or Georgia, or some non-European state. In a cynical take, it's almost as if he doesn't want Kyiv's government to collapse - because of what might be revealed if a new group takes over.
                I don't recall us making an agreement to protect those countries from invasion and infringement on their borders if they gave up their nukes. We did with Ukraine, when they agreed to give up their nukes.

Comment

I don't recall us making an agreement to protect those countries from invasion and infringement on their borders if they gave up their nukes. We did with Ukraine, when they agreed to give up their nukes.
                  Unless I'm mistaken, the U.S. only agreed to respect Ukraine's then-current national borders, and that the U.S. wouldn't infringe upon them. As far as I know, we haven't.

This was also agreed upon by the U.K., Russia, France and China. I didn't see anything about offering military assistance (or money or weapons) or to "protect" them if they were invaded.

Comment

Clarification: I'm not saying the U.S. should stand by with our hands in our pockets, but I think U.S. support for Ukraine is WAY overboard. It is verging on direct confrontation with Russia, and that would be bad news in the extreme.

As it stands, the U.S. is hogtied by Zelensky's government, about how they wish to conduct the war and where they will go in negotiating peace. Zelensky's statements about not giving up an inch of territory worries me, because that drags the U.S. into dangerous waters because of some foreign ruler's obstinance. I don't like it.

Comment

Skyrocketing inflation, porous borders, oil shortages, greenies and globalists running the show. Yeah, we're doing just fine.

Oh, and $40 billion approved for a country that the Biden family has been shadily milking for their family fortune. Hmmm...

https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...437b50e829bbb2

hunter.jpg

Careful. Criticizing this absurdity will label you a Russian propagandist.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        Nah. Russia does a pretty good job of propaganda without any assistance from me. I was just cynically entertaining the idea that Biden's unquestioning, no-end-in-sight support for Zelensky's government doesn't include ulterior motives.

If I was President, I would offer support with strings attached. I'd tell Zelensky "Be prepared to sacrifice some territory. It may seem unfair to you, but 'Might Makes Right' in this world, and the U.S. isn't prepared to go to war with Russia just because you want to preserve every square inch of real estate." But I would offer enough support to keep the entire country from being blitzed.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, the U.S. only agreed to respect Ukraine's then-current national borders, and that the U.S. wouldn't infringe upon them. As far as I know, we haven't.

This was also agreed upon by the U.K., Russia, France and China. I didn't see anything about offering military assistance (or money or weapons) or to "protect" them if they were invaded.
                          Nope, we agreed to provide assistance if they "should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression".

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Nah that's saved for particularly virulent Kremlinites like yourself and MM who have your nose so far up Putin's rear we can see you when he opens his mouth

Comment

Nope, we agreed to provide assistance if they "should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression".
                              I can't find the actual "Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances" online, except for references to it. Do you have a link?

ETA Never mind, I found it.

https://www.pircenter.org/media/cont...3943175580.pdf

Memorandum on Security Assurances in connection with Ukraine’s accession to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons Budapest, 5 December 1994 The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Welcoming the accession of Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons as a non-nuclear-weapon State, Taking into account the commitment of Ukraine to eliminate all nuclear weapons from its territory within a specified period of time, Noting the changes in the world-wide security situation, including the end of the Cold War, which have brought about conditions for deep reductions in nuclear forces. Confirm the following: 1. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the CSCE Final Act, to respect the Independence and Sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine. 2. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in selfdefense or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations. 3. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the CSCE Final Act, to refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind. 4. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a nonnuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used. 5. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm, in the case of the Ukraine, their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against any non-nuclear-weapon State Party 2 to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a state in association or alliance with a nuclear weapon state. 6. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will consult in the event a situation arises which raises a question concerning these commitments.

(emphasis mine)
                              Last edited by Ronson; 05-11-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment