Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I expect pro abortion protests will quickly die out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I expect pro abortion protests will quickly die out.

I don't have a number, but a few week to a few months with a flare up when the final opinion comes out.

While many are passionate, its going to be difficult to keep it focused. In the bluest states, nothing changes and its residents won't have much to complain about. In red states, there's no symbolic places like clinics to protest at. Without those, I expect the protests to lose steam.

It will be interesting to see the long term implications. Making 'liberals' or those slightly centre or centre left vote in their own interests is like herding cats. They tend to have a social conscience so often allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Maybe this will get the vote out- what they don't want to happen is the numbers of people voting in already blue states to go up, as it doesn't effect the overall result due to your voting system, only the size of the popular vote.

If the numbers of people with a conscience voting goes up in red or purple states where the abortion laws are likely to take effect, then it'll be more interesting and impactful.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      It will be interesting to see the long term implications. Making 'liberals' or those slightly centre or centre left vote in their own interests is like herding cats. They tend to have a social conscience so often allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Maybe this will get the vote out- what they don't want to happen is the numbers of people voting in already blue states to go up, as it doesn't effect the overall result due to your voting system, only the size of the popular vote.

If the numbers of people with a conscience voting goes up in red or purple states where the abortion laws are likely to take effect, then it'll be more interesting and impactful.
      Voting wise, yes. But the take to the streets protests? It'll go away, heck, even the active anti-trump protests quickly died away when the left realized they were stuck with him. (Though they did their darnedest to try and overturn the election).

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Voting wise, yes. But the take to the streets protests? It'll go away, heck, even the active anti-trump protests quickly died away when the left realized they were stuck with him. (Though they did their darnedest to try and overturn the election).
        Quite right, he was awful and you don't want to normalise it.

But on the issue of protests, I am less sure. This is a topic which is harder hitting and way more impactful to people even than a deplorable person in the oval office.

Comment

I don't have a number, but a few week to a few months with a flare up when the final opinion comes out.

While many are passionate, its going to be difficult to keep it focused. In the bluest states, nothing changes and its residents won't have much to complain about. In red states, there's no symbolic places like clinics to protest at. Without those, I expect the protests to lose steam.
          Yet we had several months of nightly rioting after the Floyd incident -- and not very many people were truly vested in that like they are abortion. A lot will depend on the professional protestors and professional rioters as well as their financial backers, and if their actions are hurting the left's chances at the ballot box.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I expect you are right, though there may be sporadic flare-ups as stories come out about women dying because they were too poor to get an abortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I expect you are right, though there may be sporadic flare-ups as stories come out about women dying because they were too poor to get an abortion.
              Are you talking about the wholly false claim typically repeated by abortion proponents?

Screenshot 2022-05-08 112217.png
              Which earned her

Screenshot 2022-05-08 112318.png
              The solidly pro-abortion Washington Post awarded her
              claims "Four Pinocchios." That's the maximum negative rating.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Are you talking about the wholly false claim typically repeated by abortion proponents?
                No, I'm talking about the fact that pregnancy is not 100% safe. Some women die because they are pregnant (about 700 per year in the US), so it stands to reason that some women will die because they are pregnant even though they would have had an abortion if they could.

I don't expect it to be very many, but there weren't very many George Floyds, either.

Comment

No, I'm talking about the fact that pregnancy is not 100% safe. Some women die because they are pregnant (about 700 per year in the US), so it stands to reason that some women will die because they are pregnant even though they would have had an abortion if they could.

I don't expect it to be very many, but there weren't very many George Floyds, either.
                  Floyd also had a video showing the situation, which shocked everyone. Good luck with that.

Comment

Perhaps the abortionists should consider lowering their prices, or perhaps they should offer such a necessary procedure for nothing.

Follow the money.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Floyd also had a video showing the situation, which shocked everyone. Good luck with that.
                      I think all it will take to spur further protests will be a story of a woman who wanted to have an abortion, but couldn't, and died because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Perhaps the abortionists should consider lowering their prices, or perhaps they should offer such a necessary procedure for nothing.

Follow the money.
                        It doesn't matter how much abortion clinics charge, if the woman can't afford to get to a state where it's legal.

Comment

It doesn't matter how much abortion clinics charge, if the woman can't afford to get to a state where it's legal.
                          Maybe she can afford condoms. Or better yet, don't sleep around so as not to get pregnant.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Maybe she can afford condoms. Or better yet, don't sleep around so as not to get pregnant.
                            And definitely don't get raped.

Comment

And definitely don't get raped.
                              Oh, I know full well that you or another liberal would bring up the very, very low number of abortions due to rape or incest. That old canard won't fly for the vast majority of abortions performed.

Comment