Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The end of Roe v. Wade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of Roe v. Wade?

A draft Supreme Court opinion overruling Roe v. Wade has been leaked to the press, in one of the greatest scandals to ever hit the nation’s highest court and a possible attempt to intimidate one or more justices to reverse their vote or to ignite a liberal brushfire to pack the Supreme Court before Democrats lose Congress in November.

“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives,” the possible draft opinion by Justice Samuel Alito reads, making the case that where the Constitution is silent, the American people govern themselves through elections and elected leaders, not federal judges. It quotes the late Justice Antonin Scalia, who said, “The permissibility of abortion, and the limitations upon it, are to be resolved like most important questions in our democracy: by citizens trying to persuade one another and then voting.” It then adds, “That is what the Constitution and the rule of law demand.”

The document published by Politico that claims to be a draft opinion appears to be legitimate, but it is not a binding decision of the court unless at least five justices sign it, and this looks like a transparent and unprecedented betrayal by one of the 45 or so people with access to a draft Supreme Court opinion to prevent this decision from becoming law by scaring off moderate justices and attempting to whip the political left into a frenzy.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ng-roe-v-wade/

Johnathan Turley says the draft appears genuine, and that leaking it was "a malicious act" that constitutes "one of the greatest breaches of security in the history of the Court."

I've read elsewhere that barricades have already been erected around the Supreme Court building, and that angry liberals thirsting for the blood of unborn children have started to gather.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    A draft Supreme Court opinion overruling Roe v. Wade has been leaked to the press, in one of the greatest scandals to ever hit the nation’s highest court and a possible attempt to intimidate one or more justices to reverse their vote or to ignite a liberal brushfire to pack the Supreme Court before Democrats lose Congress in November.

“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives,” the possible draft opinion by Justice Samuel Alito reads, making the case that where the Constitution is silent, the American people govern themselves through elections and elected leaders, not federal judges. It quotes the late Justice Antonin Scalia, who said, “The permissibility of abortion, and the limitations upon it, are to be resolved like most important questions in our democracy: by citizens trying to persuade one another and then voting.” It then adds, “That is what the Constitution and the rule of law demand.”

The document published by Politico that claims to be a draft opinion appears to be legitimate, but it is not a binding decision of the court unless at least five justices sign it, and this looks like a transparent and unprecedented betrayal by one of the 45 or so people with access to a draft Supreme Court opinion to prevent this decision from becoming law by scaring off moderate justices and attempting to whip the political left into a frenzy.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ng-roe-v-wade/

Johnathan Turley says the draft appears genuine, and that leaking it was "a malicious act" that constitutes "one of the greatest breaches of security in the history of the Court."

I've read elsewhere that barricades have already been erected around the Supreme Court building, and that angry liberals thirsting for the blood of unborn children have started to gather.
    Very disturbing to see such a leak. Whoever it was, if they find them, just ended their career to leak something that would likely have been coming out in a month or two anyway.

Comment

lj6px1h546x81.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Very disturbing to see such a leak. Whoever it was, if they find them, just ended their career to leak something that would likely have been coming out in a month or two anyway.
        The thought is that its part of a pressure campaign. One of the 5 might change their opinion, and outcry over the draft will help that effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Oh goodness - is another insurrection coming?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            Thank you for providing an example of just the sort of over-the-top, totally unhinged, and unmoored from reality view that the left immerses themselves into in order to get themselves all worked up and rationalize whatever month's long spree of violence and mayhem they are planning to unleash this year.

If they attack the SCOTUS and start issuing their death threats by the score, I wonder how much of "fiery but peaceful""-like claims we'll hear from the MSM as they explain how the "mostly peaceful" rioters have a right to be upset and this is nothing at all like Jan6.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
              The thought is that its part of a pressure campaign. One of the 5 might change their opinion, and outcry over the draft will help that effort.
              They were able to intimidate Roberts wrt Obamacare so naturally they're going to try what has worked before.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Oh goodness - is another insurrection coming?
                We have reached the point that the mob could seize a SCOTUS judge and execute them on live TV and the MSM would insist that the "protest" was mostly peaceful.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  We have reached the point that the mob could seize a SCOTUS judge and execute them on live TV and the MSM would insist that the "protest" was mostly peaceful.
                  Well, provided the politics went in the right direction....

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                    No more of this nonsense. Either contribute to the discussion or stay out of the thread.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Seems that Turley might have coined an applicable term for the current era to be widely used 50 years hence:

“The fact that some are praising this leak shows how utterly craven we have become in our politics,” he concluded. “There appears no ethical rule or institutional interest that can withstand this age of rage.”

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

SCOTUS-leak.jpg
                        Not necessarily "the government" but definitely some of the leftwing elements within it.

Comment

This is an issue that could reshape the mid-terms and energize the Democrat's base. The problem for the Democrats is if they react as they are prone to, then more rioting, looting and killing will do them far more harm than good.

Comment

At least liberals aren't the type to dress up in "silly costumes" when they protest:

Comment

Umm.... Do they not realize that would just put abortion back to just being legal in the states that want it? So, the blue states can keep slaughtering helpless developing human organisms.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment