Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Because covid threads always go viral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because covid threads always go viral

In the last week, the US covid death count passed the one million mark, a round figure with a significance warped by appeal to the random draw of digits assigned to our species. But still, a big number. World-wide death rates are continuing to fall, dropping in March for the first time under the lowest death rates recorded since the first wave hit its first dip. With the development of surprisingly successful vaccines and effective treatments, combined with natural resistance, it’s a good time to refocus on accountability.

Opinion: As the pandemic exploded, a researcher saw the danger. China’s leaders kept silent.
    By the Editorial Board
    The morning of Dec. 26, 2019, began as usual at Vision Medicals in Guangzhou in southern China. This commercial laboratory, a private start-up barely a year and a half old, was also known by its Chinese name, Weiyuan Gene Technology. It specialized in next-generation sequencing, called mNGS, and offered applications that can identify most infectious agents — viruses, bacteria and others — in a single test.

A researcher browsed through the latest test results, as she did every day, before turning to her other work. She was proud of the laboratory’s metagenomic sequencing capabilities. Only a month before, her company played a key role in quickly detecting a plague outbreak in Beijing.

The previous day, her laboratory had received a bronchoalveolar lavage fluid sample from Wuhan, a city of 11 million people and a major transportation hub, where a 65-year-old man was hospitalized with a pneumonia-like respiratory ailment. When she checked the test results that morning, they indicated the man was infected by a virus similar to the one that causes SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which was first identified in China in 2002 and ultimately killed 774 people worldwide. The researcher was alarmed. She wrote to a co-worker on WeChat, a messaging service, at 9:28 a.m., saying the sample was brimming with something that looked like SARS.

And so it began. There’s no question the virus was already in circulation, but this was the first known confirmation that the “unusually vicious flu season” was due to something other than a variant of seasonal flu.

Surviving the Outbreak
    By Russell J. Westergard
    When the Chinese government announced on December 29th that the new and novel coronavirus (COVID-19) had been identified and traced to a live animal market near the U.S. consulate, it caught the team’s attention. Four hectic weeks later, ConGen Wuhan closed under ordered departure with the consulate team pulling off what some people involved have since described as a minor miracle. Consulate staff found themselves at the airport of a paralyzed city preparing to evacuate family members and other U.S. citizens from what would turn out to be ground zero of a deadly global pandemic.

And with that, we lost our last eyes on the ground at the epicenter of the eruption, leaving the leaders of a paranoid honor/shame culture to do that thing they do so well.

I take a baseline position informed by the last update posted by the DNI in August 2021.
    The IC assesses that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, probably emerged and infected humans through an initial small-scale exposure that occurred no later than November 2019 with the first known cluster of COVID-19 cases arising in Wuhan, China in December 2019. In addition, the IC was able to reach broad agreement on several other key issues. We judge the virus was not developed as a biological weapon. Most agencies also assess with low confidence that SARS-CoV-2 probably was not genetically engineered; however, two agencies believe there was not sufficient evidence to make an assessment either way. Finally, the IC assesses China’s officials did not have foreknowledge of the virus before the initial outbreak of COVID-19 emerged.

Two origins hypotheses are still supported by evidence, but not enough evidence to definitively declare for either one.
    After examining all available intelligence reporting and other information, though, the IC remains divided on the most likely origin of COVID-19. All agencies assess that two hypotheses are plausible: natural exposure to an infected animal and a laboratory-associated incident.

Three preprints released in February add strength to the market hypothesis.

Do three new studies add up to proof of COVID-19’s origin in a Wuhan animal market?
    Preprints unlikely to end debate over how SARS-CoV-2 began the pandemic, but some scientists say lab-leak hypothesis has taken a “blow”
    Three new studies offer one indisputable conclusion about the origin of SARS-CoV-2: Despite the passage of 2 years and the Chinese government’s lack of transparency, data that can shed light on the pandemic’s greatest mystery still exist. And although these new analyses don’t all reach the same conclusion for how COVID-19 was sparked, each undercuts the theory that the virus somehow escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, long a focus of suspicions.

The studies examine different aspects of the viral spread at the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, the city where the first cases were detected. Two international efforts build the case that SARS-CoV-2 jumped to people from infected animals—a zoonotic leap—at the market, likely twice, at the end of 2019. A third, largely Chinese effort details early signs of the coronavirus in environmental and animal samples

Yes, it’s moved the needle, but not enough to move me off what is still my working hypothesis: that SARS-CoV-2 is a variant of the bat-virus RAtg13 collected by WIV in 2013 and released into Wuhan in a spillover accident.

I still believe it escaped a lab too. I don't think it was on purpose though. Just carelessness.

Also I am upset that the treatments for Covid are still very hard to get. I just called my doctor about a treatment called Evusheld, which are basically injecting you with premade antibodies to help protect those like me who are immuno-compromised and the vaccines don't work right. She told me that they have a very limited supply and are only using it on severely compromised people (like those in the hospital after a transplant) so I can't get it.

So this weekend I went and got a 4th shot. First two didn't do anything, no antibodies. Third show gave me some antibodies but it was 8 months ago, so now I took a 4th shot. I felt nothing though, not even a bit sick, other than a sore arm for a few hours. So I am not expecting this one to work on me either. I will do an antibody test in a month to see. First two shots were Pfizer, third was Moderna, this one was Pfizer again. If I get no antibodies I might have to get a 5th shot, this time Moderna again.

Going by MM's conspiracy, I should be dead from the vaccines by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeahhhhhhh. 'Bout that.

c8f9507af283a8fd1feccf6aa6471ef3.jpg

Some of your crew has noticed that you've begun to reek even worser than usual.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And according to the COVID Cultists, I should have succumbed to the China flu by now.

But regardless of any individual case, by all accounts, there are still a significant number of people who have been harmed by the vaccines. I read an article recently that found that over the past six months, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of vaccinated who are being hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated. I'm not talking raw numbers, either, but an apples to apples comparison per 100,000 of each group.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And according to the COVID Cultists, I should have succumbed to the China flu by now.

But regardless of any individual case, by all accounts, there are still a significant number of people who have been harmed by the vaccines.
          Not significant compared to the number of people who have been harmed by NOT being vaccinated.

I read an article recently that found that over the past six months, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of vaccinated who are being hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated. I'm not talking raw numbers, either, but an apples to apples comparison per 100,000 of each group.
          As immunity wanes, the number of vaccinated being hospitalized will increase, assuming they don't get booster shots. But they are still less likely to be hospitalized than the unvaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
            Not significant compared to the number of people who have been harmed by NOT being vaccinated.
            No, the number of those harmed by the vaccines are very significant, even compared to the China flu numbers, especially when you make a point of distinguishing between "died from" and "died with" the China flu.

As immunity wanes, the number of vaccinated being hospitalized will increase, assuming they don't get booster shots. But they are still less likely to be hospitalized than the unvaccinated.
            You're right that the vaccinated have to get "topped up" every few months because of how the vaccines negatively affect their immune systems, but based on all available information, there is no evidence to support your claim that the vaccinated are less likely to experience serious symptoms. In fact, by all accounts, the opposite seems to be the case

Comment

I still believe it escaped a lab too. I don't think it was on purpose though. Just carelessness.
              The only firm conclusion from the IC is that China didn’t know about it beforehand, which pretty much rules out any kind of engineered or deliberately released scenario. I still think it’s entirely possible that it came in through the market, it’s just that I think a lab leak is more likely.

Also I am upset that the treatments for Covid are still very hard to get. I just called my doctor about a treatment called Evusheld, which are basically injecting you with premade antibodies to help protect those like me who are immuno-compromised and the vaccines don't work right. She told me that they have a very limited supply and are only using it on severely compromised people (like those in the hospital after a transplant) so I can't get it.

So this weekend I went and got a 4th shot. First two didn't do anything, no antibodies. Third show gave me some antibodies but it was 8 months ago, so now I took a 4th shot. I felt nothing though, not even a bit sick, other than a sore arm for a few hours. So I am not expecting this one to work on me either. I will do an antibody test in a month to see. First two shots were Pfizer, third was Moderna, this one was Pfizer again. If I get no antibodies I might have to get a 5th shot, this time Moderna again.
              Keep me updated on that if you could. Of the TWebbers I know most at risk, you’re pretty much at the top of the list. And yes, trust the antibody test most, but still, I’ll note that my reaction to my first booster was a lot milder than my reaction to either of the two regular doses. I’m authorized for a second booster, but it looks like nobody local is offering them, so I might have to make a trip to Savannah to get double-boosted.

There’s an old testament prescription for false prophets, but I’d be satisfied to see him held down and forcibly injected with a placebo.

Comment

No, the number of those harmed by the vaccines are very significant, even compared to the China flu numbers, especially when you make a point of distinguishing between "died from" and "died with" the China flu.
                Of the 995,980 deaths attributed to covid-19 on death certificates (as of today), at least 90% listed covid-19 as the underlying cause.

Compare that to the 9 deaths attributed to covid-19 vaccines.

You're right that the vaccinated have to get "topped up" every few months because of how the vaccines negatively affect their immune systems, but based on all available information, there is no evidence to support your claim that the vaccinated are less likely to experience serious symptoms. In fact, by all accounts, the opposite seems to be the case
                Well, by this account, and this account, and this account, the vaccinated are less likely to experience serious symptoms.

Do you think you could come up with one account where the opposite seems to be the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

The only firm conclusion from the IC is that China didn’t know about it beforehand, which pretty much rules out any kind of engineered or deliberately released scenario. I still think it’s entirely possible that it came in through the market, it’s just that I think a lab leak is more likely.
                  Given China's nearly successful attempt to have a number of early genetic sequences/profiles deleted (only by luck did some get saved in the cloud and a researcher managed to dig them up) that indicate the virus was going around well before the market and evolving well before the market, the market hypothesis is simply not likely or possible at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                    Given China's nearly successful attempt to have a number of early genetic sequences/profiles deleted (only by luck did some get saved in the cloud and a researcher managed to dig them up) that indicate the virus was going around well before the market and evolving well before the market, the market hypothesis is simply not likely or possible at all.
                    Scientist Finds Early Virus Sequences That Had Been Mysteriously Deleted
                    Published June 23, 2021
                    Updated July 22, 2021
                    About a year ago, more than 200 data entries from the genetic sequencing of early cases of Covid-19 in Wuhan disappeared from an online scientific database.

Now, by rooting through files stored on Google Cloud, a researcher in Seattle reports that he has recovered 13 of those original sequences — intriguing new information for discerning when and how the virus may have spilled over from a bat or another animal into humans.

The new analysis, released on Tuesday, bolsters earlier suggestions that a variety of coronaviruses may have been circulating in Wuhan before the initial outbreaks linked to animal and seafood markets in December 2019.

I remember that, and it’s enough to show the sampled market strains weren’t original. At the same time we don’t know how long it was circulating in the market before the later samples were taken. The market samples were taken in late December 2019 thru early January 2020. And if it was the market it came in much earlier than that, I’m guessing, because they never found an infected animal. I’m no epidemiologist but the earliest strain had to have been less contagious, by mathematical necessity, which made it ripe for replacement.

I did some massively deep dives into the literature at the onset with the results scattered across a bunch of threads around here. My personal opinion is informed by the fact no one has found a virus closer to Cov-2 than RAtg13, and we know how RAtg13 got to Wuhan, and when. There’s still a big gap, but I suspect seven years is enough time for selection pressure to bridge the gap if it was preserved in the cells it likes best, those with abundant ACE2 receptors like those found in humans.

Comment

Of the 995,980 deaths attributed to covid-19 on death certificates (as of today), at least 90% listed covid-19 as the underlying cause.

Compare that to the 9 deaths attributed to covid-19 vaccines.

Well, by this account, and this account, and this account, the vaccinated are less likely to experience serious symptoms.

Do you think you could come up with one account where the opposite seems to be the case?
                      I don't care what the death certificate say, because we know for a fact the US medical system had its proverbial thumb on the scale and didn't take pains to distinguish between those who died from the China flu and those who had the China flu but died from other causes, which is to say that the one million number being celebrated by liberals is an exaggeration. And only nine deaths attributed to the vaccine is a joke. There have been tens of thousands of deaths recorded in the VAERS database alone, but the CDC likes to pretend not to know things. Heart problems caused by the vaccines are another major problem being reported around the world, especially in children (even The New York Times concedes that the incidences are "higher than expected"). The vaccine has caused other significant health issues. One you don't hear much about is tinnitus and a loss of equilibrium. There are many more, but that's an exercise I'll leave for those who are curious and open minded to research on their own.

And when I say "by all accounts", I'm talking about studies based on real world data and not the "sanitized for your protection" press releases you linked to. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to recent study conducted in Europe (I came across it two or three weeks ago), but it found that when comparing per every 100,000 individuals, those who were vaccinated were significantly more likely to be hospitalized than those with immune systems that have not been compromised by the experimental medications.

Comment

I don't care what the death certificate say, because we know for a fact the US medical system had its proverbial thumb on the scale and didn't take pains to distinguish between those who died from the China flu and those who had the China flu but died from other causes, which is to say that the one million number being celebrated by liberals is an exaggeration.
                        Doctors use their best medical judgment to determine the cause of death that they put on the death certificate. Is that 100% reliable? Probably not. But errors are as likely to go in the direction of understating the number of covid-19 deaths as overstating them.

And only nine deaths attributed to the vaccine is a joke. There have been tens of thousands of deaths recorded in the VAERS database alone, but the CDC likes to pretend not to know things.
                        I'm sure you already know that a death entered into VAERS is not necessarily due to the vaccine.

Heart problems caused by the vaccines are another major problem being reported around the world, especially in children[/URL] (even The New York Times concedes that the incidences are "higher than expected").
                        Higher than expected, but lower than the rate caused by covid-19 itself.

The vaccine has caused other significant health issues. One you don't hear much about is tinnitus and a loss of equilibrium. There are many more, but that's an exercise I'll leave for those who are curious and open minded to research on their own.
                        You can compare that to the long term and/or permanent problems caused by covid-19 itself.

And when I say "by all accounts", I'm talking about studies based on real world data and not the "sanitized for your protection" press releases you linked to. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to recent study conducted in Europe (I came across it two or three weeks ago), but it found that when comparing per every 100,000 individuals, those who were vaccinated were significantly more likely to be hospitalized than those with immune systems that have not been compromised by the experimental medications.
                        I'm sure you think it was a good study, because it told you what you wanted to hear.

Comment

But regardless of any individual case, by all accounts [on conspiracy websites], there are still a significant number of people who have been harmed by the vaccines. I read an article [on a conspiracy website] recently that found that over the past six months, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of vaccinated who are being hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated. I'm not talking raw numbers, either, but an apples to apples comparison per 100,000 of each group.
                          FIFY n/c

Comment

FIFY n/c

Right, because anything that doesn't support the narrative of the COVID Cult is a conspiracy theory.

Comment

I'm sure you think it was a good study, because it told you what you wanted to hear.
                              In my experience, arguing with folks who get their medical studies predigested by partisan political blogs is on par with getting involved in a land war in Asia.

Comment