Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NY Lt. Gov. Resigns After Being Arrested And Indicted For Campaign Finance Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Lt. Gov. Resigns After Being Arrested And Indicted For Campaign Finance Fraud

Bad timing for Governor Hochul, going into the 2022 election with this hanging over her. Gonna have a lot of explaining to do and fast PR work to explain away her choice of Brian Benjamin as her Lt. Gov., and her vetting of him.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...urces/3619365/
    NY Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin Resigns Following Arrest in Campaign Finance Fraud Case

New York Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin has resigned after he surrendered to authorities to face campaign finance fraud-related charges in connection with a past campaign, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced.

"I have accepted Brian Benjamin's resignation effective immediately. While the legal process plays out, it is clear to both of us that he cannot continue to serve as Lieutenant Governor. New Yorkers deserve absolute confidence in their government, and I will continue working every day to deliver for them," Hochul said in a statement Tuesday afternoon.

Following news of his resignation, Benjamin's attorneys, James D. Gatta and William Harrington issued a statement calling his actions "laudable -- not criminal."

"There has never been a federal case like this in America," the statement said. B"rian supported a $50,000 grant to Friends of Public School Harlem. Every dollar was to buy supplies for public school students in Harlem. There was nothing inappropriate about this grant."

The statement continued: "After today’s charges, Brian will resign his duties as Lieutenant Governor and suspend his campaign. He will focus his energies on explaining in court why his actions were laudable—not criminal.

He looks forward to when this case is finished so he can rededicate himself to public service."

Benjamin, a Democrat, was charged with bribery, fraud, conspiracy and falsification of records in an alleged scheme to obtain campaign contributions from a real estate developer in exchange for Benjamin’s agreement to use his influence as a state senator to get a $50,000 grant of state funds for a nonprofit organization the developer controlled.

Facing charges including bribery, fraud, conspiracy and falsification of records, Benjamin pleaded not guilty Tuesday at an initial appearance in Manhattan federal court. He was released and bail was set at $250,000.

The lieutenant governor appeared in Manhattan federal court Tuesday afternoon, and left without talking to reporters.

His arrest comes after reports that Manhattan federal prosecutors and the FBI were investigating whether Benjamin knowingly engaged in a campaign finance fraud scheme. Subpoenas were issued in connection with the investigation, two sources familiar with the subpoenas said at the time.

The indictment said Benjamin, formerly a state senator from Harlem, and others acting at his direction or on his behalf also engaged in a series of lies and deceptions to cover up the scheme that stretched from 2019 to 2021.

They falsified campaign donor forms, misled municipal regulators and provided false information in vetting forms Benjamin submitted while he was being considered to be appointed as lieutenant governor, the indictment said.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney and a spokesman for the FBI both previously declined WNBC requests for comment regarding the investigation into Benjamin. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins also did not return requests for comment.

Benjamin was appointed lieutenant governor by Gov. Kathy Hochul in 2021, shortly after losing a primary bid for New York City comptroller. He previously served as the New York State Senator for District 30, which is made up of Harlem, East Harlem (El Barrio), the Upper West Side, Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights and Morningside Heights.

The investigation into Benjamin came after the FBI arrested his fundraiser, Gerald Migdol, in November. He is charged with wire fraud in connection with an alleged campaign fraud scheme linked to past Benjamin fundraising.

A lawyer for Migdol did not return requests for comment.

After the indictment was announced, the New York City Campaign Finance Board said in a statement that no public funds were issued to Benjamin's campaign.

"The CFB's audit reviews identified potentially fraudulent contributions prior to issuing any public funds payments," the CFB said. "Those contributions were not matched with public funds, nor did they factor into the campaign qualifying for public funds payments."

Following the confirmation that Benjamin was being investigated, the lieutenant governor's office referred questions to its Nov. 19 press statement issued at the time of Migdol's arrest in which it said it was prepared to cooperate.

"Neither Lieutenant Governor Benjamin nor his campaign are being accused of any wrongdoing and they are prepared to fully cooperate with authorities," it said. "As soon as the campaign discovered that these contributions were improperly sourced, they donated them to the Campaign Finance Board, pursuant to guidance obtained from the CFB."

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Bad timing for Governor Hochul, going into the 2022 election with this hanging over her. Gonna have a lot of explaining to do and fast PR work to explain away her choice of Brian Benjamin as her Lt. Gov., and her vetting of him.
    She'll just say, "I had no idea," and the idiot voters of New York will forget about it.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...urces/3619365/
      Only the seventh paragraph down until they mention his party affiliation. In the account I read it was in the second to last paragraph.

If it was a Republican that would have been part of the headline.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Only the seventh paragraph down until they mention his party affiliation. In the account I read it was in the second to last paragraph.

If it was a Republican that would have been part of the headline.
        I knew it was a Democrat when the first paragraph didn't specify his party affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I knew it was a Democrat when the first paragraph didn't specify his party affiliation.
          That is generally a good rule of thumb but there has been a time or two that this method didn't work. And I do mean "a time or two."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

splainin.jpg
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

She'll just say, "I had no idea," and the idiot voters of New York will forget about it.
              This didn't just pop up out of thin air. He has a history of shady dealings and questions about campaign financing irregularities.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                This didn't just pop up out of thin air. He has a history of shady dealings and questions about campaign financing irregularities.
                You think that'll matter?

Comment