Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OK Groomer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland school board to adopt new flag policy after teachers ‘bullied’ into supporting LGBTQ pride flag

A Maryland school board has moved to adopt a new policy on political symbols that could ban items like the rainbow pride flag in public school classrooms after members said teachers were "bullied" into displaying pride flags that were recently donated by an LGBTQ group.

The Carroll County
    school board has voted to develop a new flag policy that may only allow the U.S. flag, Maryland state flag and Carroll County flags to be displayed in classrooms.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mar...ed-lgbtq-pride
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Professor Wins Lawsuit Against University Over Using Preferred Pronouns

Ohio professor was awarded $400K after suing the university over being forced to use student’s preferred pronouns

https://thegreggjarrett.com/professo...R3xAgebtO5eOEk
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• “Don’t say gay?” When Americans are presented with the actual language of the new Florida law, it wins support by more than a two‐to‐one margin.

Fully two‐thirds of voters believe it is inappropriate for teachers or school personnel to discuss gender identity with children in kindergarten through 3rd Grade. By a 67%‐21% margin, Americans say the discussion of gender identity is inappropriate for children in kindergarten through 3rd Grade, including 88% of Republicans, 68% of Independent voters, and a plurality of Democrats (47%). 

Fewer than 10% of Americans want to see gender removed from birth certificates. While just 8% of Americans believe states should remove gender from birth certificates, fully 79% of voters do NOT, including 93% of Republicans, 79% of Independent voters, and 67% of Democrats.  Finally, by more than a two‐to‐one margin, Americans believe transgender athletes should play on sports teams that match their birth gender. By a 60%‐

24% margin, voters believe “transgender athletes should only be allowed to play on sports teams that match their birth gender.” While Republican (85%‐7%) and Independent voters (60%‐23%) largely agree, Democratic voters aren’t as sure (39%‐36%).

https://pos.org/wp-content/uploads/2...lease-Memo.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          “Don’t say gay?” When Americans are presented with the actual language of the new Florida law, it wins support by more than a two‐to‐one margin.

Fully two‐thirds of voters believe it is inappropriate for teachers or school personnel to discuss gender identity with children in kindergarten through 3rd Grade. By a 67%‐21% margin, Americans say the discussion of gender identity is inappropriate for children in kindergarten through 3rd Grade, including 88% of Republicans, 68% of Independent voters, and a plurality of Democrats (47%). 

Fewer than 10% of Americans want to see gender removed from birth certificates. While just 8% of Americans believe states should remove gender from birth certificates, fully 79% of voters do NOT, including 93% of Republicans, 79% of Independent voters, and 67% of Democrats.  Finally, by more than a two‐to‐one margin, Americans believe transgender athletes should play on sports teams that match their birth gender. By a 60%‐

24% margin, voters believe “transgender athletes should only be allowed to play on sports teams that match their birth gender.” While Republican (85%‐7%) and Independent voters (60%‐23%) largely agree, Democratic voters aren’t as sure (39%‐36%).

https://pos.org/wp-content/uploads/2...lease-Memo.pdf
          Are you implying that the mainstream media (MSM) hasn't been accurately portraying the legislation?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Are you implying that the mainstream media (MSM) hasn't been accurately portraying the legislation?
            No, I never would suggest that!

Comment

No, I never would suggest that!
              Then are you out-right, clearly saying that the mainstream media (MSM) hasn't been accurately portraying the legislation?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is nonsense - Child rights go only so far, they can't vote, buy beer, drive a car, decide to get their privates cut off, consent to sex with an adult, or generally care for themselves. And again, no one knows or loves the child more than their parents. If that is narcissism then so be it. The fact is what my link pointed out was that they are using government agents (teachers) to spy on our children. Follow their Google searches, internet activity, and hallway conversations, etc... It is Orwellian to the max. The left needs to keep their hand off our kids. Civil wars have kicked off for less.
                I don't want to get too deep into this as the temperature has got too high. I would like to raise one thing though.

Someone I knew (deliberately vague) was raised in a mainstream Christian family. At college she got caught up in The Campaign for Christ or something similar and married a super fundie Christian. There are now five young women who were home schooled, have never socialized outside that circle, firmly believe that the world was made in six literal days 6000 years ago, any science that contradicts a totally literal interpretation of the Bible is a lie, and that everyone (including their grandmother) outside their group is "of the devil".

Now, are all parents the best people to have exclusive control over their children? Who is doing the brain washing in this case? That's an extreme example, but there's lots of it about.

Now, isn't your beef really not with schools telling kids stuff, but how they present it? How about if schools taught the plain facts about trans gender people without "taking sides" as you see it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alien View Post

I don't want to get too deep into this as the temperature has got too high. I would like to raise one thing though.

Someone I knew (deliberately vague) was raised in a mainstream Christian family. At college she got caught up in The Campaign for Christ or something similar and married a super fundie Christian. There are now five young women who were home schooled, have never socialized outside that circle, firmly believe that the world was made in six literal days 6000 years ago, any science that contradicts a totally literal interpretation of the Bible is a lie, and that everyone (including their grandmother) outside their group is "of the devil".

Now, are all parents the best people to have exclusive control over their children? Who is doing the brain washing in this case? That's an extreme example, but there's lots of it about.

Now, isn't your beef really not with schools telling kids stuff, but how they present it? How about if schools taught the plain facts about trans gender people without "taking sides" as you see it?
                  The questions would be -
                  "When does biology generally get introduced as schools?"
                  "How detailed is that introduction?"
                  "When is human reproduction introduced as schools?"
                  and
                  "Can a case be made for an earlier introduction?"

{{for "when" read "at what year level"}}

Children can be introduced to the idea of alternative (to the usual) choices; it is in fact necessary when they see other children with parents that don't follow the usual pattern.
                  Beyond that, the common times of introduction are soon enough.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Of course parents are the best care takers of their children. No one loves them more, and sure you are going to have exceptions - but that does not give the government the right to run rough shod over parental prerogative.

Should they teach them about bestiality, exhibitionism, sadism, masochism, paraphilic infantilism, sacofricosis, frotteurism, etc..?. And can we also teach that a trans person really can't change their sex?

Comment

There are worse things in this world than believing in 6 day/6000 year creationism and there are many a productive citizen in this world that interpret Genesis this way. I don't believe they are right but I can appreciate the unwillingness to compromise on scripture and morals even if it is somewhat misplaced in this case. I used to attend a church where this was the dominant belief. Numerous members were productive contributing citizens. The point is that you can believe and teach something, even if it's wrong and still be a productive member of society What you are talking about is brainwashing to allow physical and emotional harm by authority figures. How old the world is doesn't fit that level of harm.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

There are worse things in this world than believing in 6 day/6000 year creationism and there are many a productive citizen in this world that interpret Genesis this way. I don't believe they are right but I can appreciate the unwillingness to compromise on scripture and morals even if it is somewhat misplaced in this case. I used to attend a church where this was the dominant belief. Numerous members were productive contributing citizens. The point is that you can believe and teach something, even if it's wrong and still be a productive member of society What you are talking about is brainwashing to allow physical and emotional harm by authority figures. How old the world is doesn't fit that level of harm.
                        Yup. I have a good number of YEC friends (though their numbers are shrinking) who get along just fine in their day-to-day lives in spite of believing in a literal 6 day/6000 year creation. One owns a business where he employs around 50 employees. One recently retired from being a pharmacist for 40 years.

Comment

Many are not fit to have ANY control over ANY children (teachers who think it is acceptable to entice young children to engage in sexual activity, for example) - but I think that the "parents being the best to choose" concept is based on the idea that the parents are sane, or at least reasonable.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 04-20-2022, 07:18 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The questions would be -
                            "When does biology generally get introduced as schools?"
                            "How detailed is that introduction?"
                            "When is human reproduction introduced as schools?"
                            and
                            "Can a case be made for an earlier introduction?"

{{for "when" read "at what year level"}}

Children can be introduced to the idea of alternative (to the usual) choices; it is in fact necessary when they see other children with parents that don't follow the usual pattern.
                            Beyond that, the common times of introduction are soon enough.
                            That sounds reasonable, but I was not challenging at that level. There will always be debate about the details, and rightly so. My point was to oppose the assertion that has been made here that parents are always the ultimate and best people for deciding what happens to their children.

Comment

Of course parents are the best care takers of their children. No one loves them more, and sure you are going to have exceptions - but that does not give the government the right to run rough shod over parental prerogative.
                              Ideally, yes.

Should they teach them about bestiality, exhibitionism, sadism, masochism, paraphilic infantilism, sacofricosis, frotteurism, etc..?.
                              My you're well informed on deviant sexual practices, Seer! Groomer!

I don't see a problem in those things being covered at a later age, probably in an appropriately titled optional course. Or not.

And can we also teach that a trans person really can't change their sex?
                              Of course. All teaching should be factual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

You're missing the point, which is that the children are being isolated from as much contact with the "outside world" as their parents can manage, with the objective of shielding them from any other beliefs than those of their parents. How about if the parents were flat earthers? Or Satanists? or Jihadist Muslims? Even forgetting that level of bad stuff, even the best intentioned parents can't provide the full spectrum that a good school education can.

Comment