Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Transition Surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Someone on this site once said "The time to be most suspicious of something is when you like it" (or words to that effect.)
    That’d be me.

As is only to be expected from the name, "TransSafety," the source is set up to provide assistance to Trans-sexuals. Have to wonder why the Swedish National Board of Health would decide to base a decision on a debunked study. Could it be that the study was in reality not debunked, or perhaps, that it was only one of many studies and considerations reviewed by the Swedish Board of Health.
    The answer is that it wasn’t thoroughly debunked as is clear from the first line of the supporting reference:

3Health Liberation now - Littman Tries to Prove ROGD by Surveying Detransitioners, Fails Spectacularly.
    Note: We are looking to connect with trans academics or researchers to develop a formal response to this paper. If this sounds like you, you can contact us here.

And also, that the ROGD study isn’t particularly relevant to the revised policy on puberty blockers. ROGD is rapid onset gender dysphoria, if you’re looking to let me save you time looking it up.

It goes on for a bit, pretty much just as frothily, starting with conspiratorial hyperbole that the questionaire supporting Littman’s study has been confirmed by Littman!

As if showing your data on request on a journal article isn’t the norm, and as if refusing to do so wouldn’t result in your paper being withdrawn from the journal. The “debunking” provides references as well, but they should have stopped at the opening note recognizing their incompetence at attempting a meaningful review.

There’s something in there about TERFs too, but that’s a rabbit I’m not gonna waste time stewing.

Bonus points that the contrary partisans to seer’s segm source by citing their supports are making an attempt at accountability, but what they’re saying isn’t true either.

Oh - sorry - there's no such thing as the Swedish Board of Health ... it is the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare.
    An apology is definitely due. Piling sheepcrap onto bullcrap just adds more crap to a discussion, akin to the idea that pitting extremism against extremism does anything more than support extremism. Which is wrong, and for which you should be ashamed. That’s what you should be apologizing for.

The ideal is no crap at all, and no extremism, either. In the unfortunate case that no purely objective information is available, go with the most objective source you can find. If none are available, just don’t go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

They, in this case, means the Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital ...
      Also in April the Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital in Stockholm, a part of the Karolinska Institute, announced that it would stop prescribing puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to those under 18, except in clinical trials.

... one of two children's hospitals administered by the Karolinska Institute, an organization linked with the Karolinska University Hospital formed by the merger of the Huddinge University Hospital and the Karolinska Hospital. They're second in size in Sweden after Sahlgrenska University Hospital, the largest by a considerable margin, and the second largest in Europe.

So as it turns out there is no Karolinska Hospital, and the entity created by its merger has no policy I can find on puberty blockers, and the actual hospital involved with the change in policy hasn't ended the use of puberty blockers, and the entity created by the merger of Karolinska Hospital isn't the largest in Sweden even after the merger. Everything seer has said about this case is a lie.

shocked.jpeg

The takeaway here is that once again, we're forced to slash and burn through layered and clustered bullcrap before we can even begin to have a meaningful discussion.

I don't know how I feel about the use of gender blockers, but their effects are said to be entirely reversible. If you've got something on this that passes a sniff test, you might want to try rescuing this thread, but otherwise, I'm scraping the crap off my boots on the way out, letting the pigs wallow in their own.
      I wish they were reversible, but a person I know from middle school who chose to transition now battles some of the most severe osteoperosis and heart disease I have ever know. At 38 this person is on permanent life long disability and that bone mass will never come back.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

I wish they were reversible, but a person I know from middle school who chose to transition now battles some of the most severe osteoperosis and heart disease I have ever know. At 38 this person is on permanent life long disability and that bone mass will never come back.
        Approximately how old were they when they began using puberty blockers and how old were they when they discontinued them?

Comment