Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elon Musk, Great...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elon Musk, Great...

...defender of free speech? I bet the long knives will be out soon...

New York (CNN Business)Elon Musk recently purchased 9.2% of Twitter stock, according to a filing Monday, making him the largest shareholder in the company.

News of the purchase sent shares of Twitter soaring 22% in early trading. Musk did not disclose what he paid for the shares, but his stake was worth $2.9 billion as of the close of trading Friday, and $3.5 billion after the spike early Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/04/inves...ake/index.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

He applauded the Freedom Convoy, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      He applauded the Freedom Convoy, too.
      He had been talking about forming his own social platform

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've been compelled to reevaluate my opinion of Elon Musk.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I wouldn't get too excited. Musk is an opportunist foremost, not a crusader. I'm sure he saw a profitable investment.

He has defended civil liberty in the past, so he may make some difference. I'm just not convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              I wouldn't get too excited. Musk is an opportunist foremost, not a crusader. I'm sure he saw a profitable investment.

He has defended civil liberty in the past, so he may make some difference. I'm just not convinced.
              Let's see...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There is certainly something unsettling about hoping a billionaire will be able to defend our basic freedoms. Isn't that what our government is supposed to be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There is certainly something unsettling about hoping a billionaire will be able to defend our basic freedoms. Isn't that what our government is supposed to be doing?
                  The buzz is he's going to reinstate all of the accounts that were politically suspended, like Trump's.

I never did think that Americans have the right to be on Twitter or Facebook and Instagram or anything like that. That's not First Amendment material.

Comment

He also likes to shake things up. He is kind of like a billionaire troll. He was playing with people's crypto a while back, making tweets about dogecoin and bitcoin, making the prices jump up and fall down on his whim. And he got into trouble with the SEC for tweeting stuff about Tesla stock.

News: Twitter is saying they invited him to be on their board of directors now. So he will have some influence.

Comment

The buzz is he's going to reinstate all of the accounts that were politically suspended, like Trump's.

I never did think that Americans have the right to be on Twitter or Facebook and Instagram or anything like that. That's not First Amendment material.
                      I would normally agree since Twitter is not a government agency. But it has become such a large public forum that it really does need some regulations to prevent them from influencing politics by banning certain views. They have become a defacto public square, almost like a common carrier which are not able to discriminate against a person, such as a phone company is not able to ban certain viewpoints or speech.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        He had been talking about forming his own social platform
                        Hope he does.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I would normally agree since Twitter is not a government agency. But it has become such a large public forum that it really does need some regulations to prevent them from influencing politics by banning certain views. They have become a defacto public square, almost like a common carrier which are not able to discriminate against a person, such as a phone company is not able to ban certain viewpoints or speech.
                          I can't agree. I don't subscribe or use Twitter and don't feel cheated by not using it. It is not taxpayer funded. I am not forced to subscribe to it, and it isn't a monopoly. No matter how I slice it, it just doesn't qualify as a platform protected under the First Amendment. The free market (which does need protection, and should be the real issue) will eventually adjust to a company with bad product or policies. Sometimes it takes a while.

Comment

Those companies try to have their cake and eat it too. They claim to be merely platforms, but when they start censoring things, they become editors and lose all the protections afforded to them as a platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              News: Twitter is saying they invited him to be on their board of directors now. So he will have some influence.
                              Isn't that rather like saying, "Come in and make yourself at home," after someone has already pushed his way past you and is sitting on your couch smoking your cigars?

Comment