Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The New Authoritarians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    That is just part of being in a free country where people can express their ideas and the ideas that are embraced by the majority become the ideas that define the course of the nation.
    Can and should are two very different things. Free speech and freedom of expression can be used to shout out racial slurs. Boycotts can be used to refuse to shop at a black-owned business. A small town can choose to shun gays and blacks and transgenders. You might decide to look at every way people can express their ideas and shrug your shoulders as simply people exercising their rights, even if they are in the majority, but I say that you can look at those things and still judge them to be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Can and should are two very different things. Free speech and freedom of expression can be used to shout out racial slurs. Boycotts can be used to refuse to shop at a black-owned business. A small town can choose to shun gays and blacks and transgenders. You might decide to look at every way people can express their ideas and shrug your shoulders as simply people exercising their rights, even if they are in the majority, but I say that you can look at those things and still judge them to be wrong.
      But we don't do that. We make laws that prevent that sort of behavior.

What you are complaining about - really - is the use of the mechanisms that are legal and sanctioned by law and the constitution to affect change. Now that is always fine when the change is in the direction we want. And it is very uncomfortable when it is not.

The difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that the good guys do what they can within the system to change people's minds, but they recognize that violating the basic principles this country is founded on is worse that trying to used Invalid means to stop said change..

The bad guys are the ones willing to cheat or out and out illegally take from the people their right to affect change by the mechanisms so prescribed.

Notice I'm not talking red and blue here. im always for the good guys,, red or blue,, and I'm always against the bad guys,, red or blue.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But we don't do that. We make laws that prevent that sort of behavior.

What you are complaining about - really - is the use of the mechanisms that are legal and sanctioned by law and the constitution to affect change. Now that is always fine when the change is in the direction we want. And it is very uncomfortable when it is not.

The difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that the good guys do what they can within the system to change people's minds, but they recognize that violating the basic principles this country is founded on is worse that trying to used Invalid means to stop said change..

The bad guys are the ones willing to cheat or out and out illegally take from the people their right to affect change by the mechanisms so prescribed.

Notice I'm not talking red and blue here. im always for the good guys,, red or blue,, and I'm always against the bad guys,, red or blue.
        Actually, we don't. I can organize a boycott of a business for any reason I want and its legal. I can call for the shunning of anyone for any reason. All of those things I mentioned are perfectly legal if bad things to do. Which is exactly my point.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Actually, we don't. I can organize a boycott of a business for any reason I want and its legal. I can call for the shunning of anyone for any reason. All of those things I mentioned are perfectly legal if bad things to do. Which is exactly my point.
          and?

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Can someone cite a few examples of the "authoritarian leanings" of the GOP?
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

and?
              You said we pass laws to stop that. We didn't. So, that puts all of the stuff back to people just using their rights.

in other words we are back to more obvious examples of the sort of x-ian control tactics, only using an easier to see target. Do you still shrug your shoulders and say "they are just exercising thier rights"?
              Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 04-04-2022, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I take it the answer is "No."
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Can someone cite a few examples of the "authoritarian leanings" of the GOP?
                  They are currently not in charge of either House of Congress nor the presidency, which tend to make any such inclinations far less visible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment