Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should this worry Australia and New Zealand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should this worry Australia and New Zealand?

I think of all the Marines who died to rid these Islands of the Japanese threat...

China Takes Over the Solomon Islands — And the Pacific
    • China, after years of persistent commercial, diplomatic, and military efforts, is taking over the Pacific.
    • Beijing is moving from island group to island group, and soon the People's Liberation Army will be in striking distance of Hawaii.
    • The five-year deal, subject to automatic renewals, will allow Beijing to use the islands to base its military and to do pretty much what the Chinese military wants.
    • If implemented to its full extent, the Framework Agreement will give China the ability to sever shipping lanes and air links connecting the U.S. with its treaty ally Australia and partner New Zealand.
    • For decades, Washington allowed Canberra and Wellington to manage the Solomons and its region.... Beijing, through payoffs now detailed in public, essentially owns Sogavare's government.
    • There is now talk that China will ink a security agreement with Papua New Guinea, just north of Australia.
    • Moreover, China wants to upgrade an airstrip in Kiribati. Beijing says the improvements are for civilian purposes only, yet the military uses are apparent and no one believes the Chinese assurances.
    • The facility is just 1,900 miles south of Hawaii. In Pacific terms, Kiribati is America's next-door neighbor.
    https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...olomon-islands
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I'm sure star is eagerly looking forward to kowtowing to his fellow travelers

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm sure star is eagerly looking forward to kowtowing to his fellow travelers
      I was wonder if he would embrace Chinese rule?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

We should send Trudeau over.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I assume "neutral island nation" is not in China's vocabulary.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I suspect Australia, and especially NZ, are too far away to interest China.

Comment

More indications that Biden's weakness is emboldening our enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                You are joking right? What exactly do you think they are doing in the Solomon Islands? That is at Australia's front door.

Comment

China is trying to do what Japan tried in WWII. They want to dominate the Pacific Ocean. Australia and NZ are directly in their sights.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

China is trying to do what Japan tried in WWII. They want to dominate the Pacific Ocean. Australia and NZ are directly in their sights.
                    Thankfully we are selling Australia more nuclear subs...

Comment

That doesn't sound like China to me. It's not a country that has historically been expansionist, though it does want to control Pacific trade routes.

I have no idea what it sees as important in the Solomon Islands, but I'll bet the farm it has no designs on Australia or NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        More indications that Biden's weakness is emboldening our enemies.
                        Perhaps China is only planning a minor incursion.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That doesn't sound like China to me. It's not a country that has historically been expansionist, though it does want to control Pacific trade routes.

I have no idea what it sees as important in the Solomon Islands, but I'll bet the farm it has no designs on Australia or NZ.
                          I suggest you take a look at Chinese history. I think you are mistaking China's relative weakness in the 1800's and 1900's for their long term history. They have had periods of expansion in the past. I think Australia has been taking a more anti-China stance recently.

I think President Xi has this in common with President Putin: both want to make their countries major world powers. China wants to be number 1 in the world. Why not cut-off the US from its Australian and NZ allies besides already threatening Taiwan? I'll tell you another country that is probably really nervous behind closed doors: Japan.

I think if you made the bet, you'll eventually lose your farm.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

tell you another country that is probably really nervous behind closed doors: Japan.
                            The Chinese have not forgotten the Rape of Nanjing...

Comment

I suggest you take a look at Chinese history. I think you are mistaking China's relative weakness in the 1800's and 1900's for their long term history. They have had periods of expansion in the past. I think Australia has been taking a more anti-China stance recently.
                              China still never ventured far beyond its borders. Remember, this is a culture that built a Great Wall to keep others out, not to venture into the worlds of others.

I think President Xi has this in common with President Putin: both want to make their countries major world powers. China wants to be number 1 in the world. Why not cut-off the US from its Australian and NZ allies besides already threatening Taiwan? I'll tell you another country that is probably really nervous behind closed doors: Japan.
                              Of course China wants Taiwan. That's a whole different subject than general expansionism. They've been obsessed with Taiwan for decades.

I think if you made the bet, you'll eventually lose your farm.
                              Nah, I think I'm safe. China (Xi) would like to be #1 in the world as far as power, because power = freedom to do what you want without the interference of other nations, but not in geography. Most of the world realizes that guerilla warfare sucks; it can go on forever and can really drain your pocketbook and your resolve. Xi knows this, but he's willing to put up with it to get Taiwan. Not Australia and NZ. I doubt it would even be very interested in Japan, close as that is.

Comment