Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL To Require All Teams To Hire Minority Offensive Assistant Coach For 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL To Require All Teams To Hire Minority Offensive Assistant Coach For 2022

Saw this pop up, figured I'd share it for whoever still watches the nonsense that is the NFL.

Report: NFL To Require All 32 Teams To Hire Minority Offensive Assistant Coach For 2022 Season

In February, former Miami Dolphins Head Coach Brian Flores sued the National Football League and several teams, naming the Denver Broncos, the New York Giants, and the Dolphins, for racial discrimination in the NFL’s hiring process.

“Because we need change,” Flores said when asked why he filed the lawsuit. “That was the number one reason. And I know there is a sacrifice, there’s risk to that. But, at the end of the day, we need change. I know many very capable black coaches, some on my staff, who if given an opportunity, are going to go and do a great job on their interview.”

“We need to change the hearts and minds of the people making those decisions,” Flores continued. “That’s why we filed the lawsuit.”

Following news of the suit, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell vowed to evaluate the league’s hiring process.

“We’re not having the success we want with head coaches,” Goodell said. “How do we evolve that rule, or do we have to have a new rule? Do we need to find some other way of being able to achieve that outcome? I think we’re not going to rest until we find that, until we get those outcomes that are mandatory for us to move forward and have an inclusive league.”

On Monday, the NFL announced that every team will be required to hire a minority assistant coach on the offensive staff, according to NFL.com. The individual can be a minority or a female, and will be signed to a one-year deal, partially paid from a league-wide fund.

“It’s a recognition that at the moment, when you look at stepping stones for a head coach, they are the coordinator positions,” said Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II, chairman of the NFL Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee. “We clearly have a trend where coaches are coming from the offensive side of the ball in recent years, and we clearly do not have as many minorities in the offensive coordinator [job].”

Earlier in the day, Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin — who hired Flores to his staff during the offseason — expressed doubt that the new measures would have an impact on increasing the number of diversity hires in the NFL coaching ranks.

“I haven’t been in any discussions, and, no, I don’t have a level of confidence that would lead me to believe that things are going to be better,” Tomlin said. “I’m more of a show-me guy as opposed to a guy that sits around and talks about things.”

Also on Monday, the league announced the creation of the NFL Diversity Advisory Committee.

“Today, the National Football League (NFL) announced the creation of the NFL Diversity Advisory Committee, following its pledge last month to retain outside experts to review the league’s diversity policies and practices,” the NFL said in a press release. “The six-member committee will lend its expert, external perspective on industry best practices and will evaluate league and club diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategies and initiatives, including all hiring processes, policies and procedures, with a primary focus on senior-level coach and front office personnel positions.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/repor...or-2022-season
    Looks like a pretty egregious violation of basic Civil Rights law (Title VII among others) to me.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Saw this pop up, figured I'd share it for whoever still watches the nonsense that is the NFL.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/repor...or-2022-season
    Looks like a pretty egregious violation of basic Civil Rights law (Title VII among others) to me.
    Given all of the various assistant coach positions there are, is there even a team that doesn't have a black coach? And if there are a few teams, will any merely create a coaching position in order to fill it with an affirmative action hire?

Moreover, why just a quota for blacks? Why not other ethnic groups? Why not a quota requiring at least one Hispanic coach or an Asian coach? Or Native Americans?

There is a reason I quit watching sports (although I did watch a few innings of last years World Series where the Braves won), and this sort of crap is the reason. When I want to watch a sporting competition I want to be able to relax and enjoy it rather than wonder what will be the next thing the woke scolds will do to turn it into a grim lecture.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I hope a team has the guts to hire the straightest whitest white guy they can find, and then when someone accuses them of not hiring a proper minority, they respond with, "Well, we're not biologists."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I hope a team has the guts to hire the straightest whitest white guy they can find, and then when someone accuses them of not hiring a proper minority, they respond with, "Well, we're not biologists."
        Don't do that! I almost spit out my orange juice.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Given all of the various assistant coach positions there are, is there even a team that doesn't have a black coach? And if there are a few teams, will any merely create a coaching position in order to fill it with an affirmative action hire?

Moreover, why just a quota for blacks? Why not other ethnic groups? Why not a quota requiring at least one Hispanic coach or an Asian coach? Or Native Americans?
          I don't see anything about a specific "black quota" in the article. The requirement only speaks of "minorities" (not sure exactly what definition they have for that) which could include various other groups. Actually, the requirement isn't specifically minority either, you just need to have at least one minority or female assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I don't see anything about a specific "black quota" in the article. The requirement only speaks of "minorities" (not sure exactly what definition they have for that) which could include various other groups. Actually, the requirement isn't specifically minority either, you just need to have at least one minority or female assistant coach.
            If you are required to have at least one black coach on staff then there is a quota.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you are required to have at least one black coach on staff then there is a quota.
              But where is the requirement for one black coach on staff? The requirement, as far as I can see, is to have at least one minority (or female) coach on staff. That could be fulfilled by a black coach, but you could use as Native American or Asian as well to meet the quota.

Obviously it's a quota, but it isn't a specifically black quota.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                But where is the requirement for one black coach on staff? The requirement, as far as I can see, is to have at least one minority (or female) coach on staff. That could be fulfilled by a black coach, but you could use as Native American or Asian as well to meet the quota.

Obviously it's a quota, but it isn't a specifically black quota.
                You're correct. I was going on what I had heard om a news channel. Oddly enough, the guy saying it was black.

Comment

You're correct. I was going on what I had heard om a news channel. Oddly enough, the guy saying it was black.
                  Probably because "minority" has traditionally meant "black". I think black folks in the US are going to be in for a rude awakening when they realize that they are no longer the preferred minority.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment