Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justified shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justified shooting?

This happened a couple a days ago a few streets away, they hit him with a stun gun first, no help, and there were other people in the house. Justified?

WARNING: Strong language including F-bombs
    Last edited by rogue06; 03-28-2022, 08:56 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Most DEFINITELY shoulda been a warning for multiple F-bombs.

The guy was very aggressive, and as he came into proximity with the people at the top of the stairs, I think it became actionable.

Fact is, the guy's still alive to "F-bomb" and aggravate.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      This happened a couple a days ago a few streets away, they hit him with a stun gun first, no help, and there were other people in the house. Justified?
      It's not really clear to me why there wasn't more time between the taser and the shooting. But it looked a lot like an attempted "suicide by cop", and I wouldn't say the shooting was unjustified based merely on the video.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I do wonder why the officer with the taser was not downstairs for first contact - that should be the thing that is lead with (even if you have a backup with a gun right with you), not (just) a gun. But that's more a question of more training and better protocols in responding to mentally disturbed calls (training that police are very much lacking). The shooting itself, when and where it happens, I'd say is justified. At that point by the time the cop drew him upstairs and the taser cop had a split second to do anything as the man neared the other family members/housemates, he became a potential threat to everyone in the room, and at that point certainly it was justified IMO, though I disagree with the sequence of events and choices by the police that led him upstairs and near enough to threaten the people in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
          It's not really clear to me why there wasn't more time between the taser and the shooting. But it looked a lot like an attempted "suicide by cop", and I wouldn't say the shooting was unjustified based merely on the video.
          I'm not entirely sure but it seemed like the cop with the gun went downstairs and the cop with the taser stayed upstairs (or at least was a good way up the stairs when the cop with the gun confronted the man). Definitely should have gone differently in that respect, with the taser used when he was still downstairs, etc.. But the shooting itself seems justified given what we can see in the video, beyond that.

Comment

OK, I'm confused - I've watched this several times.

I don't see more than one cop --- he is speaking very calmly when he's going down the stairs, and encounters this EDP.

He begins to realize the EDP is far more agitated than he can handle, and the cop begins backing up the stairs from whence he came.
            It's not a taser - it appears to be a stun gun - or a non-lethal weapon, maybe rubber bullets.
            It's not really clear.

Even after shot, and on the floor, the EDP still has the knife, and is still a threat.

I really don't see anything wrong with the way the officer handled this.
            Not sure why he was using a "stun gun" (or whatever non-lethal weapon) instead of a taser, but I'm trying to find another source with more info than what's in the video.

EDIT:

OK, here's more info -- https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...neral/2748391/

The man shot by a Torrington police officer Wednesday afternoon came at two officers with a knife in his hand, according to the Office of Inspector General.

Police responded to a home on Tioga Street just after 4:30 p.m. to conduct a wellness check on 53-year-old Brian Dungan. Dungan was threatening to kill himself, according to the Inspector General.

Two arriving officers found Dungan in the basement of the home. Just-released body camera video from the officers shows Dungan begin to yell at the officers and walk towards them. One of the officers can be heard telling Dungan to drop a knife.

Officer David Kisiel discharged a stun gun, but it was ineffective in stopping Dungan, according to the Inspector General.

Officer Jeffrey Buzzi then shot Dungan three times.

Dungan was first taken to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital and then flown by LifeStar helicopter to Hartford Hospital. He is listed in stable condition.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment