Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is a Woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moron View Post
    And Deuteronomy 14.3 has the deity stating

You shall not eat any abhorrent thing/Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing

In your "considered opinion" what other supernatural entity is this entity referencing concerning what is deemed to be abominable or abhorrent?
    The word means the same thing in both instances. The difference is in who the thing is considered an abomination to.

"This is an abomination to God" vs "This shall be an abomination to you", which is to say it is a difference between moral law and ceremonial law.

If you still don't understand then I suggest you go slam your head in a door a few hundred times and see if you can't knock some sense into yourself. It certainly couldn't make you any dumber.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The word means the same thing in both instances. The difference is in who the thing is considered an abomination to.

"This is an abomination to God" vs "This shall be an abomination to you", which is to say it is a difference between moral law and ceremonial law.

If you still don't understand then I suggest you go slam your head in a door a few hundred times and see if you can't knock some sense into yourself. It certainly couldn't make you any dumber.
      That's interesting. An abomination that God prescribes to you is not necessarily an abomination Him.

I'm still wondering why certain sins are considered abominations and others aren't. It just seems that murder is worse than a man wearing a pink lacey thong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I was just postulating a motive. I do know you are not shy in telling anyyone on tweb when you think they are sinning or not acting like a Christian, but you seem to be reluctant to point out that LBGT behavior is a sin because it might be perceived as "condemnation" and you want to "wait for God to reveal it to them" somehow. To me that sounds like you are reluctant to hurt their feelings with the truth.
        Perhaps God is waiting for ox to reveal it to them.

Or does ox think God will audibly speak to the person. Because, you know, God has used people all through history to tell others about Him. Why should this situation be any different?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          An adult biological female. Any questions? Any disagreement?
          Total disagreement. You forgot to include "human" in your definition. An adult biological female might be not a woman, but a mare, ewe, jill, vixen, sow, or bitch.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Total disagreement. You forgot to include "human" in your definition. An adult biological female might be not a woman, but a mare, ewe, jill, vixen, sow, or bitch.
            Of course, everyone else got the gist - save pedantic Roy... After all the title of the thread is what it a WOMAN.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The bottom line is this: the Bible clearly says it is detestable to God, so looking for loopholes is the wrong approach.
              So now you are back to it is wrong no matter why someone is doing it? So a woman wearing pants would be a sin, then.

I was just pointing out that it can be more complicated than that. Like I said, my mom's old church was very legalistic on such things and I think that is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It's not about hurting feelings. It is about making sure that they know we are not about trying to hurt or destroy them - a gay or trans person, even in our current society, must endure a great deal of very hostile behavior.
                In today's society people bend over backwards to accept them and even consider them "heroes" and applaud them.

And again, nobody is talking about hurting them or being mean to them or destroy them. Just telling them that homosexuality is a sin. Just like you would tell someone that stealing is a sin. I am not advocating just walking up to strangers and start preaching at them that they are sinners. I am talking about talking to people in your own circle of friends who might be on the wrong path. Or people who want to join your church. Telling them that homosexual behavior is a sin is simply telling them the truth. It is not THEM personally that are somehow bad, it is their behavior that is a problem. They are worthy of God's love and salvation. Their sins are not.

Paul was not so timid in speaking about such things in Romans 1. And I think we are living in such a time right now, where society not only ignores God but openly approves sin.
                18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Comment

• If it's an abomination for a man to dress like woman, then why risk it? It may or may not be an abomination anymore to Him, but the last thing that was even said about it was thousands of years ago in the OT. You may think it's ok and dress like a woman, even slip into a fresh pair of intimate unmentionables, but why risk it? We are living in a very dangerous and very confusing dispensation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                    If it's an abomination for a man to dress like woman, then why risk it? It may or may not be an abomination anymore to Him, but the last thing that was even said about it was thousands of years ago in the OT. You may think it's ok and dress like a woman, even slip into a fresh pair of intimate unmentionables, but why risk it? We are living in a very dangerous and very confusing dispensation.
                    I think the main point is that God "created them male and female." Gender blending tries to erase that distinction.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                      That's interesting. An abomination that God prescribes to you is not necessarily an abomination Him.
                      Exactly!

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                      I'm still wondering why certain sins are considered abominations and others aren't. It just seems that murder is worse than a man wearing a pink lacey thong.
                      Perhaps because some sins are more obvious than others? I don't know. It's an interesting question.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I think the main point is that God "created them male and female." Gender blending tries to erase that distinction.
                        Gender Blender.

Comment

Exactly!

Perhaps because some sins are more obvious than others? I don't know. It's an interesting question.
                          Like whail tailing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Perhaps God is waiting for ox to reveal it to them.

Or does ox think God will audibly speak to the person. Because, you know, God has used people all through history to tell others about Him. Why should this situation be any different?

I'm surprised you mock the idea of God revealing himself to us, or of making clear to us the nature of our sin. This is fundamental to the Christian life. We are in a relationship with God, we are following Him. So how can that be if God never convicts us or directs us. Relationships are two way things. Not only that, the Bible tells us that it is the Holy spirit that reveals God's truth to us, even wrt understanding scripture.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

And once again you are ignoring the question.

Which other entity finds eating unclean animals abhorrent? There is no mention in Deuteronomy 14.3 of any abomination "to you."

It is the deity that finds the eating of certain unclean animals to be an abomination/abhorrent. That same entity finds women dressing as men abhorrent.

So where precisely is the difference between the deity's abhorrence between eating unclean animals and the deity's abhorrence of women dressing as men?

"It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So now you are back to it is wrong no matter why someone is doing it? So a woman wearing pants would be a sin, then.

I was just pointing out that it can be more complicated than that. Like I said, my mom's old church was very legalistic on such things and I think that is wrong.
                                As I said, when the Bible says, "You shall not..." we shouldn't start looking for loopholes (and before the peanut gallery interjects, making a distinction between moral law and ceremonial law is not a "loophole"). Of course things can go too far the other way, with the scriptures being applied in ways that were never intended, such as forbidding women to wear clothing that are considered unisex.

Comment