Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DuckDuckGone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DuckDuckGone

DuckDuckGo, the search engine that marketed itself on the promise to never collect private information about its users, recently became a less attractive alternative when the company announced that it will begin down-ranking search results that are deemed "misinformation".

Popular privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo, commonly considered an alternative to Google, has announced that it will be “down-ranking” sites associated with “disinformation,” along with adding “information boxes” to “highlight quality information.” The announcement received widespread backlash from DuckDuckGo supporters, who view the changes as adopting the censorship policies of the Masters of the Universe.

In a recent Twitter post, the CEO of privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo announced that the company would be downranking “sites associated with disinformation,” which has been a popular tactic by Google for years to reduce user access to content it considers objectionable

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/...isinformation/

Down-ranking search results is its own form of misinformation.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Whatever happened to "That's none of our business..."

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This might have something to do with it:

As part of its sanctions against Russia, the European Union is imposing sweeping new restrictions on search engines and social media companies' ability to share content from Russian state media outlets RT and Sputnik.

In a notice to Google, the European Commission said it is requiring search engines to remove all search results that contain links to or even "short textual descriptions" of RT and Sputnik content. It's also requiring social media platforms to block posts linking to or rebroadcasting content from either outlet.
      https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/e...-google-search

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        This might have something to do with it:

As part of its sanctions against Russia, the European Union is imposing sweeping new restrictions on search engines and social media companies' ability to share content from Russian state media outlets RT and Sputnik.

In a notice to Google, the European Commission said it is requiring search engines to remove all search results that contain links to or even "short textual descriptions" of RT and Sputnik content. It's also requiring social media platforms to block posts linking to or rebroadcasting content from either outlet.
        https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/e...-google-search
        Is the EU trying to out-Xi Xi?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Melody Maker

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            DuckDuckGo, the search engine that marketed itself on the promise to never collect private information about its users, recently became a less attractive alternative when the company announced that it will begin down-ranking search results that are deemed "misinformation".

Popular privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo, commonly considered an alternative to Google, has announced that it will be “down-ranking” sites associated with “disinformation,” along with adding “information boxes” to “highlight quality information.” The announcement received widespread backlash from DuckDuckGo supporters, who view the changes as adopting the censorship policies of the Masters of the Universe.

In a recent Twitter post, the CEO of privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo announced that the company would be downranking “sites associated with disinformation,” which has been a popular tactic by Google for years to reduce user access to content it considers objectionable

You would think that if they actually concerned about "misinformation," they would just do it and not announce it, especially knowing this would tick off their user base. The fact they publicly announced it suggests they're under pressure (most likely government) to do so.

Comment

I've probably heard of it before now, but the name didn't ring any bells. Tried it out - so far it is impressive.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

You would think that if they actually concerned about "misinformation," they would just do it and not announce it, especially knowing this would tick off their user base. The fact they publicly announced it suggests they're under pressure (most likely government) to do so.
                Either they're being forced to do it -- in which case you would expect them to out whoever is compelling them -- or they think this will somehow give them more credibility. "Look, we care about 'misinformation', too, just like Google!"

Comment

Either they're being forced to do it -- in which case you would expect them to out whoever is compelling them -- or they think this will somehow give them more credibility. "Look, we care about 'misinformation', too, just like Google!"
                  The idea that they would see themselves as gaining credibility doesn't make much sense; they've carved out a niche as an alternative to "big tech" among people who tend to be distrustful of tech corporations. A move like this would seem to be anathema to their target audience.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ever since truth became relative or based on your experience, it's become easier to declare something as false.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The idea that they would see themselves as gaining credibility doesn't make much sense; they've carved out a niche as an alternative to "big tech" among people who tend to be distrustful of tech corporations. A move like this would seem to be anathema to their target audience.
                      "Shooting yourself in the foot" is a common saying, but "Shooting yourself in the head" seems more appropriate in this case.

Comment

You.... do realize that any search engine, no matter what, downranks search results to provide sites and links that give information users are looking for. Otherwise they are straight up worthless and cannot actually do what they are designed to do.

DDG's main draw is its privacy and protections of users from their searches being linked to them,etc.. That doesn't appear to be changing thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You.... do realize that any search engine, no matter what, downranks search results to provide sites and links that give information users are looking for. Otherwise they are straight up worthless and cannot actually do what they are designed to do.

DDG's main draw is its privacy and protections of users from their searches being linked to them,etc.. That doesn't appear to be changing thus far.
                          This goes way beyond an algorithm that simply ranks sites based on popularity and/or relevance. Since they will be targeting supposed "misinformation", the implication is that these will be hand-curated results with humans deciding what is and isn't "misinformation".

Comment

This goes way beyond an algorithm that simply ranks sites based on popularity and/or relevance. Since they will be targeting supposed "misinformation", the implication is that these will be hand-curated results with humans deciding what is and isn't "misinformation".
                            1. this is, AFAIK, about known Russian government misinformation mouthpieces (which I'm sure is why it's got you fuming)
                            2. I'm unsure how this is any different than, say, giving priority to a site that debunks flat earther arguments over one that makes flat earther arguments and pushes misinformation wrt that.

In any case, again: DDG's main draw is its privacy and protections of users from their searches being linked to them,etc.. That doesn't appear to be changing thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                              1. this is, AFAIK, about known Russian government misinformation mouthpieces (which I'm sure is why it's got you fuming)
                              Yes. If someone still wants to get to RT, all they need to do is bookmark it. DDG or Google or Bing can't block access to it.

2. I'm unsure how this is any different than, say, giving priority to a site that debunks flat earther arguments over one that makes flat earther arguments and pushes misinformation wrt that.
                              Yes. Practically any news story I search for using Google or DDG pushes up left-leaning news sites. Been that way for quite a while.

In any case, again: DDG's main draw is its privacy and protections of users from their searches being linked to them,etc.. That doesn't appear to be changing thus far.
                              Yes. That's why I use it. Yes, yes, yes.

Comment