Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Potential opposition to Putin at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Looks like someone is engaging in gross oversimplification of complex issues.

The Jews were but one of many groups accused of being traitors. There were a number of others such as the "November­verbrecher."
    That was part of the Dolchstoßlegende. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_myth

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Much as I share your fears I think we also to remember that there is a chain of command and we cannot assume that any such order would be carried out [one hopes it would not].
      This is what I'm thinking. Putin has family and children (probably grandchildren by now) so I doubt he's considering a holocaust. In comparison to Hitler, the latter had nothing to leave behind. So, assuming Putin sees the writing on the wall, he may just move to his dacha in North Korea and take his family and $billions with him.

But assuming he wants to go down in a blaze, there's no guarantee his generals will comply. In fact, I'm pretty sure they would not. They likely have families, children and grandchildren and aren't willing to commit suicide for Putin's sake or sacrifice their children for him.
      Last edited by rogue06; 03-07-2022, 09:34 AM. Reason: edited not quoted

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        This is what I'm thinking. Putin has family and children (probably grandchildren by now) so I doubt he's considering a holocaust. In comparison to Hitler, the latter had nothing to leave behind. So, assuming Putin sees the writing on the wall, he may just move to his dacha in North Korea and take his family and $billions with him.

But assuming he wants to go down in a blaze, there's no guarantee his generals will comply. In fact, I'm pretty sure they would not. They likely have families, children and grandchildren and aren't willing to commit suicide for Putin's sake or sacrifice their children for him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Looks like someone is engaging in gross oversimplification of complex issues.

The Jews were but one of many groups accused of being traitors. There were a number of others such as the "November­verbrecher."
          Hence my remark "Not entirely".
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I have no idea if the satirical political series Spitting Image that used grotesque puppets of real people was ever shown in the 1980s in the USA but this was recorded for one episode in the same year as your video link [1985].

I could not find the original clip on Youtube but it is here.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pv6ve

It has lost none of its bite in the intervening 37 years - only the faces have changed.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And now rumors of his having cancer are surfacing
              He does look puffy in the face - which might/could suggest steroids and he is very averse to anyone getting too close to him physically which again might/could suggest his immune system is weakened.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have no idea if the satirical political series Spitting Image that used grotesque puppets of real people was ever shown in the 1980s in the USA but this was recorded for one episode in the same year as your video link [1985].

I could not find the original clip on Youtube but it is here.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pv6ve

It has lost none of its bite in the intervening 37 years - only the faces have changed.
                Yeah, Spitting Image was relatively popular in the U.S. back then.

Phil Collins, the singer/drummer/song writer of Genesis and a solo career hired them for the video of his song Land of Confusion (back in the days the left knew beyond any doubt that Reagan was going to trigger WWIII).

Btw, Tweb can support vids from Dailymotion

Although links to Facebook recently stopped working

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, Spitting Image was relatively popular in the U.S. back then.
                  Really? I had no idea. I suppose some of the individuals might have been less well known to Americans although the Royals and Thatcher would have been recognisable along with various other world figures.

For me Steve Nallon WAS the voice of Thatcher. He captured her perfectly.

Phil Collins, the singer/drummer/song writer of Genesis and a solo career hired them for the video of his song Land of Confusion (back in the days the left knew beyond any doubt that Reagan was going to trigger WWIII).
                  Yes I do know who Phil Collins is and indeed Genesis. And Land of Confusion is a Genesis track [from Invisible Touch] not Phil Collins as a solo artist.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

One more headache that the sanctions will produce. 50% of Aeroflot's fleet is leased from western countries. Those leases are included in the sanctions - and are required to be terminated by the end of the month. So - three weeks from now, the fleet is down to 50%. (No biggie really - international flights aren't on the menu anyway.) As to the remaining planes - Aeroflot's main servicing centre is in Germany - so they don't have access to those facilities. A lot of maintenance can be conducted in Russia - but every last one of Aeroflot's fleet uses parts made in the west, so ... no parts will be available. The upshot is that within six months Russian airlines (not just Aeroflot) will have no working planes.

Of course, some sort of deal might be worked out with China, but it will still be a major headache.

The moral of this particular story might be, international relations turning sour the way they so often do, that sending things like manufacturing industries overseas might not be a good idea.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Really? I had no idea. I suppose some of the individuals might have been less well known to Americans although the Royals and Thatcher would have been recognisable along with various other world figures.

For me Steve Nallon WAS the voice of Thatcher. He captured her perfectly.

Yes I do know who Phil Collins is and indeed Genesis. And Land of Confusion is a Genesis track [from Invisible Touch] not Phil Collins as a solo artist.
                      Watching it after posting I realized that it was Genesis from the puppets used.

Personally, I liked the video that Disturbed made of their rendition. I mean, if you want a real "Kill the Rich" message, and the art work is good. I especially like the cleverness displayed in making a sideways dollar sign resemble Nazi symbolism.

Comment

Watching it after posting I realized that it was Genesis from the puppets used.

Personally, I liked the video that Disturbed made of their rendition. I mean, if you want a real "Kill the Rich" message, and the art work is good. I especially like the cleverness displayed in making a sideways dollar sign resemble Nazi symbolism.
                        I rather liked that cover version. And very prescient graphics, as you noted.

One of our sons has just introduced me to Rage Against the Machine - an interesting group although they are bit too thrash metal for me. Perhaps if I was 35 years younger! However, I can identify with the anger in their lyrics.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment