Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Does Anyone Else See The Humor Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Just read this article about that. Interesting, though I'm not certain all of it is true. Meaning, some of his problems may be unrelated to the laptop.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/12/hunter...y-bankrupt/may be unrelated.
    That url is way messed up

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That url is way messed up
      Ooops, sorry. Not sure what happened there.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/12/hunter...arly-bankrupt/

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Ooops, sorry. Not sure what happened there.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/12/hunter...arly-bankrupt/
        He must be confused, we know only republicans and conservatives do that sort of harassment. It's in the news.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Again, here's my point. The humor here is that the left have been screaming for censorship. You've had Liz Warren pressuring Facebook to act as defacto censors. All of this is to protect people from "fake news" and "misinformation." They WANT that censorship. You yourself have defended censorship by third parties.

The right has called out the issues of censorship (while, yes, engaging in calls for it themselves).

Russia is now censoring people, using the same justification of "fake news" and "misinformation". And people, including you, recognize that this is wrong.

To me, I find this should be eye opening. Especially in light of the self-censorship of Hunters laptop, which was called disinformation, but has been shown to have been legitimate, but embarrassing for Biden.
          I would not call correctly labeling misinformation 'misinformation' censorship. Nor would I call filtering lies censorship either, as long as such lies can be objectively shown to be lies.

Censorship - as I see it - refers to blocking political or religious ideas and ideologies, not correcting or refusing to print or echo bald faced lies. News organisations and outlets have a responsibility to provide correction to the latter, and protest for the former. Indeed, it is the free press that keeps our government from being able to blind the public with lies and misinformation - when that free press is committed to truth and not itself a source of lies and misinformation.

The problem, of course, is those inevitable Grey areas where it is difficult to objectively establish what is truth and what is falsehood.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-13-2022, 07:03 PM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I would not call correctly labeling misinformation 'misinformation' censorship. Nor would I call filtering lies censorship either, as long as such lies can be objectively shown to be lies.

Censorship - as I see it - refers to blocking political or religious ideas and ideologies, not correcting or refusing to print or echo bald faced lies. News organisations and outlets have a responsibility to provide correction to the latter, and protest for the former. Indeed, it is the free press that keeps our government from being able to blind the public with lies and misinformation - when that free press is committed to truth and not itself a source of lies and misinformation.

The problem, of course, is those inevitable Grey areas where it is difficult to objectively establish what is truth and what is falsehood.
            The problem is, as we've seen, is trusting those who are the "arbiters" of truth. In the US, the government can't censor "misinformation" for precisely that reason. So, those that you support are trying to outsource censorship to corporations.

Comment

The problem is, as we've seen, is trusting those who are the "arbiters" of truth. In the US, the government can't censor "misinformation" for precisely that reason. So, those that you support are trying to outsource censorship to corporations.

That I support?

and neither can the government force a corporation offering a search engine service to display garbage before legitimate information.

I guess it just boils down to how many search engine users value whatever principles drive a given engine's algorithms. Because there is a certain minimum set of users that are required to make a search engine successful.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That I support?

and neither can the government force a corporation offering a search engine service to display garbage before legitimate information.

I guess it just boils down to how many search engine users value whatever principles drive a given engine's algorithms. Because there is a certain minimum set of users that are required to make a search engine successful.
                Yes. You are on record supporting censorship (even in this very thread). I don't like censorship because, as said, you can't trust the censors.

Comment

Yes. You are on record supporting censorship (even in this very thread). I don't like censorship because, as said, you can't trust the censors.
                  No I'm not. I am on record supporting the right of corporations creating search engines to use whatever algorithms they want to derive a set of search results, and I applaud efforts by those same corporations to filter garbage results.

Censorship is something government's do. I am not for the US government telling search engine writers the sort of content they can display - which is what China and Russia do.

So from my point of view, the only way you could call what Google or bing or whatever do 'censorship' would be if they were being forced by the government to do it. I see most of these pushbacks against misinformation simply as being responsible in the provision of their service, much as the doctor's maxim - first do no harm.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-14-2022, 06:31 AM.

Comment

No I'm not. I am on record supporting the right of corporations creating search engines to use whatever algorithms they want to derive a set of search results, and I applaud efforts by those same corporations to filter garbage results.

Censorship is something government's do. I am not for the US government telling search engine writers the sort of content they can display - which is what China and Russia do.

So from my point of view, the only way you could call what Google or bing or whatever do 'censorship' would be if they were being forced by the government to do it. I see most of these pushbacks against misinformation simply as being responsible in the provision of their service, much as the doctor's maxim - first do no harm.
                    So, when facebook blocks content at the behest of china,China, do you call that?

How is this different than the do this or be broken up from Liz Warren?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, when facebook blocks content at the behest of china,China, do you call that?

How is this different than the do this or be broken up from Liz Warren?
                      I call that censorship - by China. I call it greed by Facebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

This all looks good on paper but is rife with serious problems that would get exposed in short order when put into practice.

Often, the only effort to provide correction to what you call "bald faced lies" is nothing but to merely dismiss it with a hand wave declaring it is "misinformation." Moreover, it seems when they do add an explanation of a sort it is merely yet another unsubstantiated label like "racist" or "xenophobic."

The latter was how the MSM and Big Tech did its "duty" in squelching concerns over the origin of the Chicom coronavirus. Question the narrative and you could expect to be deplatformed, deleted and accused of encouraging violence against Asian-Americans[1]. Even when it was finally permitted to start looking at the biolab in Wuhan as the likely source you still had the New York Times insisting it was racist to do so.

Another example, is Hunter's laptop. It was proclaimed to be another of your "bald faced lies" and simply dismissed with the claim it was "Russian misinformation" in spite of strong evidence that it is anything but. Even after the claim it wasn't his was exposed as false when his lawyers demanded that the laptop be returned to him (you can't demand property you don't own be "returned"), the MSM and Big Tech continued to dutifully suppress the story because in this case "misinformation" was defined as "anything that would embarrass the political candidate we want to win."

I can provide a number of other examples like those above that reveals that our press is no longer concerned with any sort of commitment to the truth but rather shielding those they like.

Further, as the Covington kids and Rittenhouse case revealed, they have also become sources of lies and misinformation and smearing anyone they don't like.

1. ironic considering nearly all the violence directed toward them has come from those who vote Democrat 90% of the time.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I call that censorship - by China. I call it greed by Facebook.
                          So for the second part. How is it different when faced with the "Censor or be broken up" threat from Liz Warren.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So for the second part. How is it different when faced with the "Censor or be broken up" threat from Liz Warren.

275609003_10227093110543253_1125563985356641901_n.jpg
                            Nowadays the left sees 1984 as an instruction manual.

Comment