Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Does Anyone Else See The Humor Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Else See The Humor Here?

The humor is what is implied.

BBC Suspends Reporting in Russia After New Law

Britain's BBC said Friday it would temporarily suspend the work of all its journalists and support staff in Russia following the introduction of a new law that could jail anyone intentionally spreading "fake" news.

Tim Davie, the director general of the BBC, said in a statement the legislation appears to criminalize the process of independent journalism.

"It leaves us no other option than to temporarily suspend the work of all BBC News journalists and their support staff within the Russian Federation while we assess the full implications of this unwelcome development," he said.

© 2022 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bbc...aw-2022-03-04/

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    The humor is what is implied.

BBC Suspends Reporting in Russia After New Law

Britain's BBC said Friday it would temporarily suspend the work of all its journalists and support staff in Russia following the introduction of a new law that could jail anyone intentionally spreading "fake" news.

Tim Davie, the director general of the BBC, said in a statement the legislation appears to criminalize the process of independent journalism.

"It leaves us no other option than to temporarily suspend the work of all BBC News journalists and their support staff within the Russian Federation while we assess the full implications of this unwelcome development," he said.

© 2022 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bbc...aw-2022-03-04/
    Hmmm. Very interesting. I guess it depends on who's in charge of declaring what is and is not "fake news"

Comment

So they just admitted that they were reporting fake news in Russia. Wonder what Gond will say?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Hmmm. Very interesting. I guess it depends on who's in charge of declaring what is and is not "fake news"
        If Russia came up with a new law that said it will begin prosecuting restaurants that serve poison, and McDonald's immediately suspended business, the implication is the same.

I'm not saying anything about the BBC's accuracy in news reporting, but its reaction to the law, and Davie calling a 'fake news' law an "unwelcome development", implies that the BBC is fake news. The BBC stepped in it through their actions and comments. I would think they would be more careful. Words are their business.

Comment

If Russia came up with a new law that said it will begin prosecuting restaurants that serve poison, and McDonald's immediately suspended business, the implication is the same.

I'm not saying anything about the BBC's accuracy in news reporting, but its reaction to the law, and Davie calling a 'fake news' law an "unwelcome development", implies that the BBC is fake news. The BBC stepped in it through their actions and comments. I would think they would be more careful - words are their business.
          As CD noted -

Just a response to "no telling what Russia might decide is fake news" is all. On past performance, "fake news" would be anything that doesn't conform with the party line.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            So they just admitted that they were reporting fake news in Russia. Wonder what Gond will say?
            I know! Wouldn't you expect the BBC to have a better response than this? They sound guilty.

Comment

Rereading the article they are saying that the Russians made this new law regarding "fake" news. Which means they would jail any BBC Russian reporters that told the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

As CD noted -

Just a response to "no telling what Russia might decide is fake news" is all. On past performance, "fake news" would be anything that doesn't conform with the party line.
                No, you're missing the joke.

Comment

Rereading the article they are saying that the Russians made this new law regarding "fake" news. Which means they would jail any BBC Russian reporters that told the truth.
                  Yes, the law itself and what the Russians intend to do with it isn't the point. It is the BBC's reaction - their lack of clarity - which makes them sound guilty. That's the joke.

They should have said something like "The BBC always strives to give accurate news. But because we don't trust the people who will be policing this law, we have decided to shut down operations in Russia." Something along those lines.

Comment

Yes, the law itself and what the Russians intend to do with it isn't the point. It is the BBC's reaction - their lack of clarity - which makes them sound guilty. That's the joke.

They should have said something like "The BBC always strives to give accurate news. But because we don't trust the people who will be policing this law, we have decided to shut down operations in Russia." Something along those lines.
                    When I read your OP I thought you were saying that the UK made some law about reporting fake news (I wouldn't put it past them) and so the BBC stopped reporting on Russia. Thus my first comment.

Yeah they were just protecting their reporters in Russia who could have been jailed for reporting that this was all Putin's unprovoked war.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Never mind. I misread the OP.

Comment

I'm not saying anything about the BBC's accuracy in news reporting, but its reaction to the law, and Davie calling a 'fake news' law an "unwelcome development", implies that the BBC is fake news. The BBC stepped in it through their actions and comments. I would think they would be more careful. Words are their business.
                          Oh, I found humor just from a different perspective. After all, the BBC is favored by those who cry for legislation or control of "fake news". Here, they have to run scared because someone they can't trust is deciding what is fake news.

Comment

Never mind. I misread the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Oh, I found humor just from a different perspective. After all, the BBC is favored by those who cry for legislation or control of "fake news". Here, they have to run scared because someone they can't trust is deciding what is fake news.
                              I didn't know that. That makes it even more amusing.

Comment