Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

HR 4445 -- Educate me, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 4445 -- Educate me, please

Can someone give me a primer on HR 4445, and whether it is more "good" or "bad" for women that Biden signed it?

A lady friend was appalled that has been enacted, interpreting this as a removal of protections for women. My off-the-cuff reaction is that ending "forced" arbitration gives women more options. I'd appreciate input from someone more knowledgeable.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Can someone give me a primer on HR 4445, and whether it is more "good" or "bad" for women that Biden signed it?

A lady friend was appalled that has been enacted, interpreting this as a removal of protections for women. My off-the-cuff reaction is that ending "forced" arbitration gives women more options. I'd appreciate input from someone more knowledgeable.
    Ending forced arbitration, in general, is a good thing. Arbitration companies have an incentive to be biased in favor of companies over individuals. This is because a large company is more likely to be repeat business than an individual, and ruling against them increases the risk they take their arbitration business elsewhere.

Comment

I agree with CivilDiscourse . Arbitration will generally favor the company and disadvantage women. I think women now have more protection because employers have to consider the possibility of a lawsuit and the negative publicity that would follow.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

If arbitration is such a bad thing then why is it only being prohibited in this instance?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Ending forced arbitration, in general, is a good thing. Arbitration companies have an incentive to be biased in favor of companies over individuals. This is because a large company is more likely to be repeat business than an individual, and ruling against them increases the risk they take their arbitration business elsewhere.
          This is one point where I absolutely differed from Rand Paul when he voted against class action suits in favor of arbitration. I got into a contested contract battle with AT&T and the only option was through arbitration - supplied by AT&T. So AT&T was the arbiter's repeat customer and I was a small fry "one-off." Like I was going to get any justice out of that. I ended up just tearing up the contract and pleading my case to the credit agencies and won my battle that way.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            If arbitration is such a bad thing then why is it only being prohibited in this instance?
            The cynic in me would point out that corporations who lobby the government LIKE arbitration. So they'd fight getting rid of it altogether.

Beyond that, arbitration is a valid means of dealing with a dispute. It may be quicker and faster than winding through the court system, and it may end up being cheaper as well. I also believe arbitration isn't public like court cases are.

As I said, it tends to create an incentive for bias. This doesn't mean that every case under arbitration will go the corporations way, especially if the evidence is overwhelming. But it means that if your case is less clear cut, there is incentive to keep the repeat customer happy as opposed to the person who will likely never use you again.

Personally, I believe these blanket "arbitration contracts" should be banned, and arbitration should only be able to be agreed upon once a complaint is made.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              arbitration isn't always bad. FORCED arbitration usually is, because the side forcing it (the company) usually has an ulterior motive for forcing it - e.g. saving themselves from being sued.

But arbitration can be good because (as long as the arbitrator is neutral) it saves the cost of a law suit for both parties. It is usually done in contract disputes.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Unless I'm missing something I don't see it being bad for anyone other than perhaps the corporations that abuse the forced arbitration system to silence employees over mistreatment, etc..

(And I should note there's nothing gendered about the bill so it would not just be for women either, it can help men who have cases wrt sexual assault, etc.)
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 03-04-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment