Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Contrary to Democrat beliefs, Republicans do not support Putin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrary to Democrat beliefs, Republicans do not support Putin

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/25/republicans-biden-putin-trump-fox-news-poll

Fox News released the poll, which it said was carried out before Russia invaded Ukraine.

It said 92% of Republicans had a negative view of Biden while 81% had a negative view of Putin. Among Democrats, 87% had a negative view of Trump and 85% a negative view of Putin.

© Copyright Original Source

While nobody among the Democrats has been as foolish as Trump and outright praised Putin, there appear to be a number (especially in the Squad) who are blaming Ukraine for being invaded as much as they blame Russia for invading them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/25/republicans-biden-putin-trump-fox-news-poll

Fox News released the poll, which it said was carried out before Russia invaded Ukraine.

It said 92% of Republicans had a negative view of Biden while 81% had a negative view of Putin. Among Democrats, 87% had a negative view of Trump and 85% a negative view of Putin.

© Copyright Original Source

For those who might rely only on extracts that are posted to this board here is the article in full:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-fox-news-poll
      More Republicans have a negative view of Joe Biden than of Vladimir Putin and more Democrats have a negative view of Donald Trump than of the Russian leader, according to a new poll.

The findings point to deep domestic divisions as well as disagreement over Biden’s handling of the Ukraine crisis.

Biden has condemned the Russian invasion and introduced tough economic sanctions, in concert with other world powers.

Trump has repeatedly praised Putin and criticised Biden, on Thursday adapting a favorite golfing metaphor to claim the Russian leader was playing his counterpart “like a drum”.

Trump’s attacks are in line with those from Republicans in Congress, who claim Biden has been too weak on Russia, both as president and as vice-president under Barack Obama from 2009 to 2017.

In the Fox News poll, 56% said Biden had not been tough enough on Russia, 8% said he had been too tough and 29% said he had been about right.

Among Democrats, 42% of respondents said they wanted Biden to be tougher and 47% said his actions were about right.

Fox News said Biden’s numbers tracked closely to the same question about Trump when he was in power. In July 2018, 53% said Trump was not tough enough, 5% too tough and 35% about right.

That month, Russian election interference in Trump’s favor and his links with Moscow were the subject of an investigation in which the special counsel, Robert Mueller, ultimately said he could not say Trump did not seek to obstruct justice.

Also in July 2018, at a summit in Helsinki, Trump and Putin conducted a meeting behind closed doors and with no close aides. What was discussed is not known.

Trump was impeached in 2020, for attempting to blackmail Ukraine, withholding military aid while requesting dirt on Biden. At trial in the Senate, only one Republican, Mitt Romney, voted to convict.

As the Republican nominee for president in 2012, Romney took a more hawkish position on Russia than Obama.

Amid the Ukraine crisis, Republicans have pointed to Romney’s stance on Russia. They have been less keen to mention his vote to convict Trump over Ukraine.

The Utah senator also voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial, for inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January 2021.

The Fox News poll returned closely matched favorability ratings for the 45th and 46th presidents, Trump on 45% and Biden 43%.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

For those who might rely only on extracts that are posted to this board here is the article in full:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-fox-news-poll
        More Republicans have a negative view of Joe Biden than of Vladimir Putin and more Democrats have a negative view of Donald Trump than of the Russian leader, according to a new poll.

The findings point to deep domestic divisions as well as disagreement over Biden’s handling of the Ukraine crisis.

Biden has condemned the Russian invasion and introduced tough economic sanctions, in concert with other world powers.

Trump has repeatedly praised Putin and criticised Biden, on Thursday adapting a favorite golfing metaphor to claim the Russian leader was playing his counterpart “like a drum”.

Trump’s attacks are in line with those from Republicans in Congress, who claim Biden has been too weak on Russia, both as president and as vice-president under Barack Obama from 2009 to 2017.

In the Fox News poll, 56% said Biden had not been tough enough on Russia, 8% said he had been too tough and 29% said he had been about right.

Among Democrats, 42% of respondents said they wanted Biden to be tougher and 47% said his actions were about right.

Fox News said Biden’s numbers tracked closely to the same question about Trump when he was in power. In July 2018, 53% said Trump was not tough enough, 5% too tough and 35% about right.

That month, Russian election interference in Trump’s favor and his links with Moscow were the subject of an investigation in which the special counsel, Robert Mueller, ultimately said he could not say Trump did not seek to obstruct justice.

Also in July 2018, at a summit in Helsinki, Trump and Putin conducted a meeting behind closed doors and with no close aides. What was discussed is not known.

Trump was impeached in 2020, for attempting to blackmail Ukraine, withholding military aid while requesting dirt on Biden. At trial in the Senate, only one Republican, Mitt Romney, voted to convict.

As the Republican nominee for president in 2012, Romney took a more hawkish position on Russia than Obama.

Amid the Ukraine crisis, Republicans have pointed to Romney’s stance on Russia. They have been less keen to mention his vote to convict Trump over Ukraine.

The Utah senator also voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial, for inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January 2021.

The Fox News poll returned closely matched favorability ratings for the 45th and 46th presidents, Trump on 45% and Biden 43%.
        None of which add to the point or discussion. There was a reason why I snipped it down to the relevant portion. Pointing out that Democrats hate Trump more than Putin doesn't change the fact that democrats don't support Putin, and that they don't support him at any great difference than do Republicans.

Comment

I dislike Putin more than I dislike Biden. I just think Biden is a weak puppet of a leader with dementia who lies nearly every time he opens his mouth. Like when he and everyone else speaking for the administration and military said the threats of sanctions were meant to deter Putin from invading and then afterward claimed that the sanctions were never meant to stop Putin from invading.

I think Putin is actually evil. I think Biden is incompetent.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            While nobody among the Democrats has been as foolish as Trump and outright praised Putin, there appear to be a number (especially in the Squad) who are blaming Ukraine for being invaded as much as they blame Russia for invading them.
            Democrats would rather praise Xi. It's just a matter of preferring one brutal autocrat over another.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/202...tpage-editors/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I dislike Putin more than I dislike Biden. I just think Biden is a weak puppet of a leader with dementia who lies nearly every time he opens his mouth. Like when he and everyone else speaking for the administration and military said the threats of sanctions were meant to deter Putin from invading and then afterward claimed that the sanctions were never meant to stop Putin from invading.

I feel pretty much the same way. Putin has people killed, his rivals often show up dead full of Novichok. Biden is an elitist hypocrite that is ruining this country, but I doubt he has ever ordered political opponents to be murdered.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I feel pretty much the same way. Putin has people killed, his rivals often show up dead full of Novichok. Biden is an elitist hypocrite that is ruining this country, but I doubt he has ever ordered political opponents to be murdered.
                Yeah. Biden is no Killary!

Heck he probably doesn't even know what the day of week is. He reads a teleprompter and eats ice cream and mumbles.

Putin is a bully and evil dictator who disappears anyone who crosses him and has no problem ordering the murder of civilians in his country as well as others.

Comment

Yeah. Biden is no Killary!

Heck he probably doesn't even know what the day of week is. He reads a teleprompter and eats ice cream and mumbles.

Putin is a bully and evil dictator who disappears anyone who crosses him and has no problem ordering the murder of civilians in his country as well as others.
                  download (2).jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Joe is a nasty combination of incompetent and corrupt. Yes, he's currently a puppet with fast declining cognitive abilities, but he still knows his strings are being pulled (he often refers cryptically to "they"), yet he willingly goes along with it.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In the MSM, there is certainly a narrative that all Republicans are Trump supporters. Frankly, I don't think that's true. I think the MSM is supporting this to pander to their watchers - CNN/MSNBC to the OMB crowd and Fox to the pro-Trump crowd. This is probably part of the reason the various media sites and journalist in general have low trust levels.

Unfortunately, non-USA citizens like Hypatia_Alexandria only understands the US from what they read in big media. They are getting a distorted view of what people really think.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        In the MSM, there is certainly a narrative that all Republicans are Trump supporters. Frankly, I don't think that's true. I think the MSM is supporting this to pander to their watchers - CNN/MSNBC to the OMB crowd and Fox to the pro-Trump crowd. This is probably part of the reason the various media sites and journalist in general have low trust levels.

Unfortunately, non-USA citizens like Hypatia_Alexandria only understands the US from what they read in big media. They are getting a distorted view of what people really think.
                        Media has always been partisan with respect to outside nations. The shift to partisan politicking with regard to the home nation is rather distressing. Nor is the problem confined to big media.

That's not saying that in house politicking didn't happen - but it was kept pretty much within the bounds of fair play.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I like that Orange Man said the “genius move” was invading Ukraine at the cost of “$2 sanctions” (a bargain!) when the sanctions are actually proving quite costly.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I like that Orange Man said the “genius move” was invading Ukraine at the cost of “$2 sanctions” (a bargain!) when the sanctions are actually proving quite costly.
                            But the pipeline is still supplying gas, and the transit fees are still being paid by Russia. The sanctions cannot impose a stranglehold on Russian finances - and any blow will be softened by trade with China. Maybe not $2 sanctions, but certainly not crippling.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Joe is a nasty combination of incompetent and corrupt. Yes, he's currently a puppet with fast declining cognitive abilities, but he still knows his strings are being pulled (he often refers cryptically to "they"), yet he willingly goes along with it.
                              Ditto, Trump is a nasty combination of incompetent and corrupt. Yes, he’s always been a narcissist, but he also knows he must court evangelicals who couldn’t be more diametrically opposed to self-worship. Two peas in the proverbial pod.

Comment