Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fleeing the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleeing the USA

mossrose said something in another thread that got me thinking.

Question: by your standards, life is no longer tolerable in the US (or whatever country you live in). Where do you go?

For years, I was thinking Canada or maybe England. Now that their society and political environment seems to be getting worse than the USA, I'm not sure. I suppose Israel might be a possibility. I'm just drawing a blank now.

What do you think? Is it better to stay and stand-up for my beliefs in the face of persecution? (There is not persecution in the US. I think it's coming though.)
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Question: by your standards, life is no longer tolerable in the US (or whatever country you live in). Where do you go?

For years, I was thinking Canada or maybe England. Now that their society and political environment seems to be getting worse than the USA, I'm not sure. I suppose Israel might be a possibility. I'm just drawing a blank now.

What do you think? Is it better to stay and stand-up for my beliefs in the face of persecution? (There is not persecution in the US. I think it's coming though.)
    Aside from the fact that it is difficult for people to just up and leave their country, and I'm referring to moving households and the bureaucracy involved, work visas, funds, etc., we need to consider that no matter where we go in this world we will eventually have to stand up for our beliefs.

Persecution is on it's way in, all over. We've seen it more in North America this past couple of years than ever before, but scripture tells us that we WILL have some persecution in some degree or another.

I think it is wise for us to consider this and recognize that the Lord is going to be returning, sooner now than ever, and that is what we need to keep our faith fixed on.

Having said that, if one has the means and opportunity to move to a gentler, more peaceful place, assuming that one can find such a place, then by all means, do so.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't think the US is going to go as one collective cesspool of leftist authoritarianism. I think it's going to fracture, and the fracturing will likely eventually end up violent. We're going to see some sort of violent civil war, though how that manifests exactly is not yet clear (there seems to be multiple crisis situations forming at once). Urban environments are going to be crime-ridden hellholes (even worse than they are). So I guess I would suggest, if you have the means, move to a red state and perhaps buy property in a rural area, develop a communal camaraderie with your rural neighbors, and learn to live off the grid as much as you can.

Comment

I don't think there is any safe place to go. The world is constantly changing, and changing fast lately. Countries once considered to be peaceful, quiet and safe are turning into honking nightmares! (jk). Even Scandinavian countries are getting really weird.

Also, what I've learned, is that Americans aren't always welcome abroad. An American might be welcome at one moment, and then an unpopular anti-globalist president is elected, and you suddenly become an undesirable alien.

Best to stick it out and fight for sanity here.

Comment

Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Mars.
            To your very first extraterrestrial bacon vault.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Countries that in previous years might have been attractive alternatives to living in the US have almost all become totalitarian hell holes since 2020. I'll stick it out in the good ol' US of A and hope we can turn things around before we become like everybody else.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I can't think of any. At that point if it seriously got that bad, I'd say best to stay in the nation where most of the people are armed.

Comment

South Africa. We have great weather and very few to no natural disasters. For these reasons alone imo!

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                    South Africa. We have great weather and very few to no natural disasters. For these reasons alone imo!
                    Thanks for the suggestion.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Mars.
                      Mars is a little over 21 miles from me. It's a nice, kind of rural area, but probably too close to Pittsburgh.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Another thought ...

One of my complaints about refugees is that they won't stay and make their homes better, but would rather pack up and go somewhere else (now, this is in regard to able-bodied adults and not women with children). I was aghast when I saw Syrian refugees going into Greece and it appeared to be 80% young, able-bodied men. I wouldn't want to be like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          Another thought ...

One of my complaints about refugees is that they won't stay and make their homes better, but would rather pack up and go somewhere else (now, this is in regard to able-bodied adults and not women with children). I was aghast when I saw Syrian refugees going into Greece and it appeared to be 80% young, able-bodied men. I wouldn't want to be like that.
                          Does the same hold true to people who leave high tax states like NY or CA for places like GA, FL, TX?

The same argument could be made for them. Why don't they stay in places like NY/CA and fight to make their state better, with better taxes, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Does the same hold true to people who leave high tax states like NY or CA for places like GA, FL, TX?

The same argument could be made for them. Why don't they stay in places like NY/CA and fight to make their state better, with better taxes, etc.?
                            Generally, no. This is all one country and relocating from one state to another is not a claim to refugee status. We have "refugee" families in my vicinity that came from Moldova several years ago. They were given government assistance and tax breaks that I would never hope to receive by relocating. I'm still curious how they are all now so quickly driving BMWs and Mercedes and vacationing in Florida every year. I hope it's not my tax money paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Generally, no. This is all one country and relocating from one state to another is not a claim to refugee status. We have "refugee" families in my vicinity that came from Moldova several years ago. They were given government assistance and tax breaks that I would never hope to receive by relocating. I'm still curious how they are all now so quickly driving BMWs and Mercedes and vacationing in Florida every year. I hope it's not my tax money paying for it.
                              At the same time, the logic does hold. They should be able to stay in their home states and make them better. The reality is the odds of the tax refugees from CA being able to fight the one party system in control of the state are very small. And by the same token, those leaving their countries due to war, famine, totalitarian governments, often have the same chances of "making their country better." I don't really blame anyone from leaving to seek a better life.

Comment