Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Say Gay Bill - HB 1557

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Say Gay Bill - HB 1557

This Florida bill is causing a lot of pearl clutching, especially what is quoted below.:

...prohibiting school district personnel from discouraging or prohibiting parental notification and involvement in critical decisions affecting a student's mental, emotional, or physical well-being; prohibiting a school district from encouraging classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary grade levels or in a specified manner...

https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...7&Session=2022

This is clearly a good thing, I certainly would not want my grandkids subject to such indoctrination
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

If I can't say Gay Bill any more, how about Gay Al?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

As long as Mr. Slave stays out of it.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Here's a quote from the bill.

A school district may not encourage classroom

discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in
          primary grade levels or in a manner that is not age-appropriate
          or developmentally appropriate for students.

I'm not sure what is allowed. Can students discuss these things if the teacher doesn't "encourage" them?

Anyway, here's my school sex education (1950's England) in a nutshell. Zero.

By the age of ten or so, we all "knew" about sex, having passed around mostly distorted and often totally inaccurate stories in the playground. Add to that "dirty" jokes, also mainly inaccurate, though sometimes funny.

My parents' contribution? Another zero.

In High School, we did Biology. At the start of the term we had a list of subject headings - Circulation, Nervous system, etc and Reproduction. We awaited Reproduction with an anticipation that rivaled the latest installment of our favorite comic stories. Eventually, the big day came. The previous subject was finished and Reproduction was next!!! The teacher moved on to the following subject, skipping Reproduction. A brave lad called out "No Sir, it's Reproduction!" The teacher mumbled "You can look that up for yourselves".

My point? Children should be educated in all subjects that will affect their lives. Sexual matters NOT excluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

I'm not sure what is allowed. Can students discuss these things if the teacher doesn't "encourage" them? [/FONT]
            It can't be teacher lead - and remember this is primary school - K-3 so I doubt if they are going to have any burning questions on these issues.

My point? Children should be educated in all subjects that will affect their lives. Sexual matters NOT excluded.
            They should be, I see no reason for a school system to be doing this, but if they have to - from 8th grade up...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

They should be, I see no reason for a school system to be doing this, but if they have to - from 8th grade up...
              Who then? Parents tend to avoid the job through embarrassment or add all kinds of extraneous stuff, religion based or otherwise.

8th grade is a little late in my opinion. (That's around 14 yo isn't it? I still have trouble with the way you refer to childrens' ages by "grade" over here.) Small children can learn stuff like this quite easily and aren't burdened with the reality happening in their bodies. I'm talking about the simple facts, not anything complicated. You also have to factor in the Internet, which is going to expose your kids to all kinds of things that should be explained and in some cases countered.

Comment

Who then? Parents tend to avoid the job through embarrassment or add all kinds of extraneous stuff, religion based or otherwise.

8th grade is a little late in my opinion. (That's around 14 yo isn't it? I still have trouble with the way you refer to childrens' ages by "grade" over here.) Small children can learn stuff like this quite easily and aren't burdened with the reality happening in their bodies. I'm talking about the simple facts, not anything complicated. You also have to factor in the Internet, which is going to expose your kids to all kinds of things that should be explained and in some cases countered.
                Sort of like walking through your local Walmart/Target's toddler wear and seeing onesies with "I make this look hot" written across it.

Age appropriate

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Who determines whether or not something is age or developmentally appropriate? Psychologists? A 2012 survey found that only 6% of psychologists are conservative. Doctors? The American Medical Association stated in 2021 that "gender-affirming care is medically-necessary, evidence-based care". What expert that isn't representing a fringe opinion are they anticipating testifying in these actions?

Comment

Really... We didn't have sex education for most of our history and we did just fine. We have had comprehensive sex ed from the late sixties. What has gotten better? Are there less abortions, unwanted pregnancies, less STDs? And yes it is up to the parents.

Back in the day parents could op out of this sexual propaganda and sexualizing of children - it is now becoming mandatory. That in my mind Alien is evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Who determines whether or not something is age or developmentally appropriate? Psychologists? A 2012 survey found that only 6% of psychologists are conservative. Doctors? The American Medical Association stated in 2021 that "gender-affirming care is medically-necessary, evidence-based care". What expert that isn't representing a fringe opinion are they anticipating testifying in these actions?
                      How about this - stay away from my children or grandchildren.

Comment

Florida legislature passes bill prohibiting some classroom instruction about sexual orientation and gender identity

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/08/polit...ill/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Really... We didn't have sex education for most of our history and we did just fine. We have had comprehensive sex ed from the late sixties. What has gotten better? Are there less abortions, unwanted pregnancies, less STDs? And yes it is up to the parents.

Back in the day parents could op out of this sexual propaganda and sexualizing of children - it is now becoming mandatory. That in my mind Alien is evil.
                          I tend to agree with you that children need to be protected from early sexualisation, though our society makes that nearly impossible right now.

I especially agree that discussions that would prompt children to ask themselves if they are 'really what their biological sex is just begs for trouble. Pubity and the teenage years coming to grips with one's sexuality is hard enough without people dropping potentially self-destructive 'options' into the mix.

It is one thing to deal compassionately with a child spontaneously expressing these things, quite another to be serving them up like a menu to kids that still think their peers of the opposite sex have kooties.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I tend to agree with you that children need to be protected from early sexualisation, though our society makes that nearly impossible right now.

I especially agree that discussions that would prompt children to ask themselves if they are 'really what their biological sex is just begs for trouble. Pubity and the teenage years coming to grips with one's sexuality is hard enough without people dropping potentially self-destructive 'options' into the mix.

It is one thing to deal compassionately with a child spontaneously expressing these things, quite another to be serving them up like a menu to kids that still think their peers of the opposite sex have kooties.

Comment

I can understand the concern. My stepchild was asked in a seventh grade class "what is your sexual identity?" There is no reason an adult should be asking a child such a question.

But I would recommend not calling the bill "Don't Say Gay". This is a media spun line to amplify outrage to eleven. The word "gay" does not even appear in the text of the bill.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment