Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What should congress do about Obama's refusal to enforce his own law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    If only the Founders intended as much when they wrote the Constitution
    Take it up with Madison.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Take it up with Madison.
      Marbury already did.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

How'd that work out?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

How'd that work out?
          With Chief Justice Marshall inventing the process of judicial review.

Comment

It's a fait accompli in any case. The ACA law was so large and so stupid that John Roberts couldn't give a straight answer on it, Congress couldn't know what's in it until it passed (because the necessary Professional Health Bureaucrats hadn't codified the vague regulations, so they had to pass the law to find out what was in it) and the presidency and the Democrats are de facto repealing the law piece by piece via executive order, which was predicted a long time ago by a guy who I like to cite.

If anyone actually signs up for the service on the pretense of following the law or joining the rest of the nation in a patriotic duty to receive health care, they're either foolish or completely desperate. The people ostensibly running this country aren't actually governing, they're LARPing in the costume of rule where people used to govern. If you must write a letter to someone, never, ever, ever write it to your Congressman.

Originally posted by Mencius Moldbug
            Alexander sees that his government has made a bad, stupid, irrational and really downright evil decision. But he does not go out and try to convince his readers (all 10,000 of them, perhaps) to vote differently. In his actions, he reveals that he's perfectly aware that this highly touted failsafe mechanism against bad government, always and everywhere, does not in fact exist.

That, in fact, the elected officials of American democracy have little or no effective control over the actual agencies of USG - and if these elected officials in fact ceased to exist, USG would continue as it is. In fact, to anyone who knows Washington, it's quite clear that USG would work not only just as well without a Congress or White House, but in fact somewhat better.

Instead, following Maine's law, Alexander adopts the oldest monarchical method of correcting abuses. That is, of course, petitioning the king. But there is one little problem here - which still reveals some actual insanity. Namely, Alexander suffers under the terrible delusion that someone in Washington cares what he thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Are you suggesting that Obama would take credit for something as you said God Himself came down and presented and personally blessed? You're probably right.
              But of course, as usual, that's not what I said. I said Republicans would all vote against it because Obama would get the credit. ANYTHING good that happens in a President's term of office, he gets credit for. And blame for all that goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                But of course, as usual, that's not what I said. I said Republicans would all vote against it because Obama would get the credit. ANYTHING good that happens in a President's term of office, he gets credit for. And blame for all that goes wrong.
                Knowing this, do you still support democracy?

Comment

With Chief Justice Marshall inventing the process of judicial review.
                  Which has been in use ever since - Marshall was a jerk but he did solve a problem.

Congrats on passing CL101!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    Knowing this, do you still support democracy?
                    I support "the Republic for which it stands".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        So you will, in fact, support the Nation against the State, if the State proves itself hostile to the natural rights of the Nation?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                          So you will, in fact, support the Nation against the State, if the State proves itself hostile to the natural rights of the Nation?
                          Only if we run out of grape jelly, and still have lots of peanut butter.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which has been in use ever since - Marshall was a jerk but he did solve a problem.

Congrats on passing CL101!
                            And this whole conversation because you seemed to be implying that judicial review was part of original intent.

Incidentally, have any constitutional originalists ever dealt with that apparent contradiction?

Comment

And this whole conversation because you seemed to be implying that judicial review was part of original intent.

Incidentally, have any constitutional originalists ever dealt with that apparent contradiction?
                              I was the one that told you to 'take it up with Madison', remember? Of course I knew it isn't actually IN the Constitution and no, I wasn't making any comment about original intent.

JR is either an ugly stepchild, a necessary evil or an abomination, depending on who you're asking. Yeah, they deal with the contradiction - mostly in unrealistic ways (hint: it's not going away, deal with it). Personally, I fall in the 'the Founding Fathers should have dealt with this in the Constitution but since they didn't and this works, leave it alone' camp.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment