Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What should congress do about Obama's refusal to enforce his own law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    We have an imperial presidency, and have had one for some time. If we like the imperial presidency generally, then criticizing this imperial president for disobeying the law he fought so hard for only to abandon is hypocritical. If, on the other hand, we dislike the imperial presidency, we should oppose its other manifestations, as well.
    Do you remember when the last administration argued for a "unitary executive" thinking no one would notice how it rhymed with "mon-archy"?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Do you remember when the last administration argued for a "unitary executive" thinking no one would notice how it rhymed with "mon-archy"?
      It was wrong then, and it's still wrong. Obama, as senator and constitutional scholar, spoke against exactly what he's doing.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am not familiar with the issue (I just learned about it) but I don't think the administrative branch has standing to enforce the "president's" own law!
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

http://video.foxnews.com/v/333584317...d=928378949001
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
            By most count's Obama has either changed or refused to enforce his own health care law more than 20 times, including refusing to enforce specific dates and policy requirements.

The reason why isn't relevant to this thread. The fact that he is arbitrarily changing the text of the law is at issue.

Is this a problem?

If so, what should congress/the American people do about it?
            The parties are in a catch-22. The Dems obviously won't condemn Obama for holding it back because they got to pretend they love the bill and show their partisan love for the master of the bill. The Reps won't object to Obama's executive actions because then this would look like they want the bill to be implemented. The Reps also won't repeal it because big pharma wrote the bill (via their lobbyists) and most of the Reps are in the pockets of the medical corporations (campaign "donations," medical industry IPOs, etc.). Or if they attempt anything close to a repeal, they'll just put on a good show and try and amend mere cosmetic details of the bill to make it seem like they're opposing the big bad corporate bill.

Comment

Obama has been doing more to dismantle Obamacare than the Republicans are

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Obama has been doing more to dismantle Obamacare than the Republicans are
                Well, he's twisting it into a one payer system. It's getting harder to argue that that was not the goal in the first place.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  The "fact" that it's "arbitrary" isn't relevant to this thread. Gotcha. I'm guessing you don't want to explain why he should be forced to implement the law you want repealed, either?

As ever, Jesse
                  More important than the law itself is the validity of the Constitution. The President doesn't get to rewrite laws just because it's politically convenient for him to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    The parties are in a catch-22. The Dems obviously won't condemn Obama for holding it back because they got to pretend they love the bill and show their partisan love for the master of the bill. The Reps won't object to Obama's executive actions because then this would look like they want the bill to be implemented. The Reps also won't repeal it because big pharma wrote the bill (via their lobbyists) and most of the Reps are in the pockets of the medical corporations (campaign "donations," medical industry IPOs, etc.). Or if they attempt anything close to a repeal, they'll just put on a good show and try and amend mere cosmetic details of the bill to make it seem like they're opposing the big bad corporate bill.
                    You don't think there is a more fundamental constitutional issue, here?

Comment

Sheila Jackson Lee (D) says our Constitution has lasted "some 400 years", and tells us clearly what's constitutional and what's not constitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Sheila Jackson Lee (D) says our Constitution has lasted "some 400 years", and tells us clearly what's constitutional and what's not constitutional.
                        What do you expect from someone who asked if the Mars Rover had taken any pictures of the flag planted there in 1969 by Neil Armstrong

She is the perfect example to the quip from Mark Twain: "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          What do you expect from someone who asked if the Mars Rover had taken any pictures of the flag planted there in 1969 by Neil Armstrong

She is the perfect example to the quip from Mark Twain: "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
                          I just knew that would make you proud.

Comment

Constitution and this government? That ship has sailed brotha.

Comment

By most count's Obama has either changed or refused to enforce his own health care law more than 20 times, including refusing to enforce specific dates and policy requirements.

The reason why isn't relevant to this thread. The fact that he is arbitrarily changing the text of the law is at issue.

Is this a problem?

If so, what should congress/the American people do about it?
                              “The President... shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed....”

Article II, Section 3 US Constitution

Since Obama is in direct violation of that clause, he should be impeached.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                It was wrong then, and it's still wrong. Obama, as senator and constitutional scholar, spoke against exactly what he's doing.

*Jimmy Z show video*
                                Meta-data from phone calls is the exact same thing as a list of books a citizen has checked out from the library?

Dear CP,

On executive orders. We've discussed this before. There's no question Obama has followed the modern trend, issuing fewer executive orders than his predecessor.

I understand you'd like to believe his executive orders are somehow worse than anyone else's, but outside the pews of the Obummer Christian Caucus, that sort of thing needs more than hand-waving to support it. Half of those folks still think he was born in Kenya and is a closet muslim, just like his atheist dad. They will agree to just about anything negative said about him without sparking a single brain cell to support the knee jerk.

The rest of us need evidence. So, once again, let me provide you with the list of Obama's Executive Orders. They're listed ten-to-a-page, 175 of them. I've looked them all over myself. I'm not seeing it. So it's up to you: Find those offenders and arrest 'em!

As ever, Jesse

Comment