Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Government Crackdown on Milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Crackdown on Milk?

In the U.S., laws exist to regulate the sale of unpasteurized milk. I personally am a proponent of having laws similar to New York, which is a regulated dairy, and having a health official inspect the spore count each month, and the equipment. In Kansas where I live the law states that if the farm operates as a dairy, the milk must pass an inspection. Hence its a safe to drink.
    Missouri has remarkably similar legislation. Only a licensed dairy in Missouri can transport and deliver milk to customers. Licensing again requires safe counts. Interestingly enough, Interstate sale of raw milk is completely illegal, meaning one cannot purchase the milk or knowingly sell milk to a consumer who is out of state and let them transport it across state lines. This is a bit troubling, considering one can transport alcohol, cigarettes, medication, televisions, and other things, however milk is treated like a drug. Whether or not you drink it raw or pasteurized, Farmers who produce it, and consumers should be allowed to access it. So this when I came across it REALLY aggravated me.
    http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archi...ves-sour-taste

It kind of made me go what?
    I researched the farm and they were essentially ordered to stop selling milk all together. I'm not sure why. And All things considered, they should not have been. Its milk and after researching the Bechard's original dairy operation, it was licensed milk.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Interestingly enough, Interstate sale of raw milk is completely illegal, meaning one cannot purchase the milk or knowingly sell milk to a consumer who is out of state and let them transport it across state lines.
    Almost surprised we don't have "milk smugglers."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      \

we call them "moms"

So if a breast-feeding woman crosses a state line, she can be arrested.

Comment

This has been an ongoing problem for a number of years now. Although studies show little difference between incidence of food borne illness in pasteurized and raw milk (due, no doubt, to the strenuous standards of cleanliness in processing), the sale of raw milk remains highly controversial. The ridiculous levels of reaction in enforcement are legendary - this isn't anything new.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, yeah... Never mind, nothing to see here...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A few years ago I heard of a case where a guy was boarding a cow on his neighbor's property and he was charged with violating the law for drinking the milk of his own cow.
            I tried to google it just now, and it was probably this case or one similar to it: http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/wi-jud...rty-rights.htm

Personally I think the war on substances is ridiculous. Rat poison is legal but raw milk and particular plants aren't because they're too dangerous or something?
            I also happen to think inspection and safety-certification can and should be done on a private, voluntary basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              Personally I think the war on substances is ridiculous. Rat poison is legal but raw milk and particular plants aren't because they're too dangerous or something?
              People are not particularly inclined to think rat poison is harmless if ingested.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                People are not particularly inclined to think rat poison is harmless if ingested.
                Now, now, be fair DE. Politicians make that mistake all the time and they're people too... sort of...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Except when they take warafrin for various cardiac conditions.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Now, now, be fair DE. Politicians make that mistake all the time and they're people too... sort of...

ECREE!! x

Comment

A problem regarding lack of knowledge requires an advisory solution, not banning. (E.g., informing people that plant X is unsafe to ingest.)

Banning/restricting raw milk I think is stupid and unjust. Requiring labeling (or other disclosure) that it is raw milk (and may or may not contain harmful microorganisms or whatever the case may be), is a different matter. On the other hand I think if a seller's raw milk has been inspected/certified (by anyone, government or otherwise) then that too could be labeled/advertized if the seller chooses, e.g., "This bottle of raw milk has been inspected by ABC Laboratories and certified safe for ingestion." Which may be useful to someone who cares about that sort of thing and trusts ABC Laboratories.

Comment

ECREE!! x

Hitler!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Hitler!
                          Bacon.

Comment

Squiggly!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment