Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Fearmongering?

He says that the '24 election will be the perfect distraction. I would think that US's involvement in Ukraine and apparently depleting its weapons might serve as a pretty good distraction, but he's the expert.
    Yes, fearmongering. Unless something highly unusual happens in regards to Taiwan in the next two years, there's no way China is going to provoke a war with the west. There's too much at stake for everybody concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yes, fearmongering. Unless something highly unusual happens in regards to Taiwan in the next two years, there's no way China is going to provoke a war with the west. There's too much at stake for everybody concerned.
      Yeah who would they sell their stuff to, or buy land from?

Comment

In fairness to his prediction, it seems China is pretty much doing everything that would indicate an eventual attack other than the actual attack, including mobilizing their military in around the area, doing war drills and simulating faux attacks. By any measure, that would be an indication of something about to eventually go down. Whether it's within two years is a matter of debate.

Comment

In fairness to his prediction, it seems China is pretty much doing everything that would indicate an eventual attack other than the actual attack, including mobilizing their military in around the area, doing war drills and simulating faux attacks. By any measure, that would be an indication of something about to eventually go down. Whether it's within two years is a matter of debate.
          China has done that before. They've been saber-rattling for decades over Taiwan, making all sorts of aggressive signals. It's nothing new.

That's why I say, unless something highly unusual happens (like dimwit Biden signs a mutual-defense pact with Taiwan or tells Xi the US will begin recognizing Taiwan as the legitimate Chinese government) then China will continue to sit on their hands.

Comment

China has done that before. They've been saber-rattling for decades over Taiwan, making all sorts of aggressive signals. It's nothing new.

That's why I say, unless something highly unusual happens (like dimwit Biden signs a mutual-defense pact with Taiwan or tells Xi the US will begin recognizing Taiwan as the legitimate Chinese government) then China will continue to sit on their hands.
            Another thing to consider, something this general wouldn't dare say though I have no doubt he may have been thinking it (in fact, he may have been insinuating this), is US politics currently being in shambles. Not only do we have an obvious mentally addled commander in chief, but one who's currently under investigation. War depeleting our weapons supplies, a braindead potus under investigation, China performing large military drills -- pretty good reasons to believe something's coming.

Comment

Another thing to consider, something this general wouldn't dare say though I have no doubt he may have been thinking it (in fact, he may have been insinuating this), is US politics currently being in shambles. Not only do we have an obvious mentally addled commander in chief, but one who's currently under investigation. War depeleting our weapons supplies, a braindead potus under investigation, China performing large military drills -- pretty good reasons to believe something's coming.
              One thing I will say about the USA is that despite us infighting and arguing among ourselves, when faced with an external threat, everyone gets on the same page pretty quick. At least for a while. e.g. 911. And i think China knows that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

One thing I will say about the USA is that despite us infighting and arguing among ourselves, when faced with an external threat, everyone gets on the same page pretty quick. At least for a while. e.g. 911. And i think China knows that.
                I'm not sure how that might reflect towards a war thousands of miles from our border, although the propaganda machine seems to have gotten a lot of Americans fervently on board the Ukraine war, enthusiastically supporting tens of billions sent there in spite of polls showing the economy being a concern to them -- which is absolutely an amazing feat of brainwashing -- so you might be right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah who would they sell their stuff to, or buy land from?
                  Africa. South America. The Middle East. China.

They've been preparing for this for awhile.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure how that might reflect towards a war thousands of miles from our border, although the propaganda machine seems to have gotten a lot of Americans fervently on board the Ukraine war, enthusiastically supporting tens of billions sent there in spite of polls showing the economy being a concern to them -- which is absolutely an amazing feat of brainwashing -- so you might be right.
                    Russia doesn't have the legions of bought and paid for Americans in the MSM and politics that China does.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Africa. South America. The Middle East. China.

They've been preparing for this for awhile.
                      Both US and China would be hurt economically, particularly the sanctions the west would undoubtedly level against China. But, like you said, China has been preparing for that by making alliances with the BRIC countries away from the dollar (it seems the sanctions against Russia sped this process up). Also, most notably, China is our second biggest foreign creditor with hundreds of billions of our treasuries, which is equivalent to a financial nuclear bomb, particularly given the situation we're presently in. IOW, in an currency war, China will soundly win in the end.

Comment

Both US and China would be hurt economically, particularly the sanctions the west would undoubtedly level against China. But, like you said, China has been preparing for that by making alliances with the BRIC countries away from the dollar (it seems the sanctions against Russia sped this process up). Also, most notably, China is our second biggest foreign creditor with hundreds of billions of our treasuries, which is equivalent to a financial nuclear bomb, particularly given the situation we're presently in. IOW, in an currency war, China will soundly win in the end.
                        And they don't care what sort of hardships are inflicted on their people. I mean the Chicoms butchered nearly a hundred million during their Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, so they would just plow through it.

Comment

And they don't care what sort of hardships are inflicted on their people. I mean the Chicoms butchered nearly a hundred million during their Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, so they would just plow through it.
                          There's no way we would win an economic war against China under the current administration. President Trump came very close to breaking China's back, but they held out until the election, hoping (or knowing?) that Ten-Percent Joe would be installed.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Being a totalitarian regime gives them authoritarian perks that the west doesn't have, like not having to worry about not being elected to office because of economic conditions or quashing civil unrest due to economic conditions. That's why the left here in the west salivated at their handling of the pandemic in 2020, in spite of the fact their lockdown actions were brutal (interestingly, that sentiment seemed to change in 2022 for some odd reason).

Comment

Being a totalitarian regime gives them authoritarian perks that the west doesn't have, like not having to worry about not being elected to office because of economic conditions or quashing civil unrest due to economic conditions. That's why the left here in the west salivated at their handling of the pandemic in 2020, in spite of the fact their lockdown actions were brutal (interestingly, that sentiment seemed to change in 2022 for some odd reason).
                              According to Chinese mythology, humans are lice on the body of the earth god. Do not be surprised when they continue to treat humans like lice.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Remember what Justin Trudeau said early on when asked about which government he admires:

There is a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say we need to go green, we need to start, you know, investing in solar,”

[...]

“There is a flexibility that I know [Prime Minister] Stephen Harper must dream about: having a dictatorship where you can do whatever you wanted, that I find quite interesting.”

Given his actions over the past year or so, Canadians should have believed him.

Comment