Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Typically Jews -- or non-Orthodox in general -- have little sway on the views of the Church.
    But why would that matter if he's a leader of a country that hates Russia because they're at war with Russia with a church in their country he claims is an arm of Russia? That would be like saying Biden has no governmental sway over synagogues because he's (supposedly) a Catholic. The only way I see where him being Jewish might matter is if the Nazi element in the Ukrainian military objects to the idea of a Jew abolishing that church, then I guess it would be a matter of who has more power and sway over the Ukraine military. But I doubt the Ukraine military objects much to what Zelensky is doing as long as they believe it's an action against Russian infiltration or appeasement.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

But why would that matter if he's a leader of a country that hates Russia because they're at war with Russia with a church in their country he claims is an arm of Russia? That would be like saying Biden has no governmental sway over synagogues because he's (supposedly) a Catholic. The only way I see where him being Jewish might matter is if the Nazi element in the Ukrainian military objects to the idea of a Jew abolishing that church, then I guess it would be a matter of who has more power and sway over the Ukraine military. But I doubt the Ukraine military objects much to what Zelensky is doing as long as they believe it's an action against Russian infiltration or appeasement.
      Every organization, including churches, are loathe to take instructions on how they should handle their affairs from someone who isn't even a member -- an outsider -- unless of course they sought their advice.

If Biden started trying to tell synagogues how to handle their business do you really think there wouldn't be some push back?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Every organization, including churches, are loathe to take instructions on how they should handle their affairs from someone who isn't even a member -- an outsider -- unless of course they sought their advice.

If Biden started trying to tell synagogues how to handle their business do you really think there wouldn't be some push back?
        There would definitely be push back here in America but that's because we have a constitution and a court system, which (so far) is still intact though hanging by threads at this point. I imagine there will be some push back in Ukraine in spite of what religion he is, though I don't really know how effective that would be on a legal basis. Seeing how thuggish and brutal his Ukraine military is in videos, I certainly wouldn't want to be an Orthodox Christian in Ukraine taking chances of where and how I worship.

Comment

There would definitely be push back here in America but that's because we have a constitution and a court system, which (so far) is still intact though hanging by threads at this point. I imagine there will be some push back in Ukraine in spite of what religion he is, though I don't really know how effective that would be on a legal basis. Seeing how thuggish and brutal his Ukraine military is in videos, I certainly wouldn't want to be an Orthodox Christian in Ukraine taking chances of where and how I worship.
          Pffft. Orthodoxy survived 70 years of communism. This ain't nothin'.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Pffft. Orthodoxy survived 70 years of communism. This ain't nothin'.
            Christianity has survived 2,000 years of persecution from numerous hostile empires, both secular and religious, but that doesn't mean I would downplay its persecution in the present day.

Comment

Christianity has survived 2,000 years of persecution from numerous hostile empires, both secular and religious, but that doesn't mean I would downplay its persecution in the present day.
              Because of their recent history, they're rather better prepared to weather persecution than, say, here.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Because of their recent history, they're rather better prepared to weather persecution than, say, here.
                Probably because their leadership now was alive back during communist rule and knows both what it's like and that they can persevere

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Zelinsky continues to beg for foreign aid. Meanwhile, his wife went on vacation in Paris and is said to have blown through 40,000 Euros in a one hour shopping spree.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...pree-in-paris/
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Some might argue the EU leaders are just dumb. But Ursula and the climate change cult has them exactly where she wanted them -- a drastic reduction of their energy usage that they'll likely never regain again...

Germany Unleashed Half-Trillion Dollar 'Energy Bazooka' To Keep Lights On

Western sanctions on Moscow have backfired, failed to paralyze Russia's economy, and ultimately sparked financial pain for ordinary Europeans and the largest economy in the block.

According to Reuters calculations, Germany has hemorrhaged cash to the tune of 440 billion euros ($465 billion) in energy bailouts and schemes, as well as keeping energy supplies flowing while it lost access to inexpensive natural gas from its leading supplier Russia in 2022.

"How severe this crisis will be and how long it will last greatly depends on how the energy crisis will develop," said Michael Groemling at the German Economic Institute (IW). He added: "The national economy as a whole is facing a huge loss of wealth."

Reuters said the "cumulative scale" of energy bailouts and other schemes employed by Berlin equates to 1.5 billion euros per day since Russia invaded Ukraine, or about 12% of national economic output, or 5,400 euros for each German.

Germany has shown Europe how backfiring sanctions ruin its country's finances and send millions of its citizens crashing into energy poverty overnight. These anti-Russian measures have caused soaring electricity and NatGas prices and elevated risks of entering a recession in 2023.

"The German economy is now in a very critical phase because the future of energy supply is more uncertain than ever.
                    "Where does the German economy stand? If we look at price inflation, it has a high fever," said Stefan Kooths, vice president and research director of business cycles and growth at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy.

Many other European countries find themselves at the mercy of the weather as NatGas injections into EU storage facilities have flipped to draws amid a wicked cold spell boosting heating demand.

"The country has turned to the pricier spot, or cash, energy market to replace some of the lost Russian supplies, helping drive inflation into double-digits," Reuters noted.

And due to the reliance on Russian NatGas, Germany has limited LNG infrastructure, which forced it to charter five floating storage and regasification units on the country's north coast. The cost of chartering FSRUs is a whopping 9.7 billion euros. The first LNG vessel will arrive at the floating terminal this weekend.

The five FSRUs will only be able to cover about a third of Germany's current NatGas demand -- still unable to offset the supply deficit since Russian flows have been cut.

"I think Germany has been doing whatever it can," said Giovanni Sgaravatti, research analyst at the Bruegel think-tank. He added, "In the LNG market, Germany had to start from scratch, which isn't easy."

The energy crisis in Europe is far from over, as winter weather is in full swing across the energy-stricken continent that has yet to offset lost supplies. Germany's half-trillion-euro bazooka might not be enough as global LNG supplies are tight.

Comment

• I keep thinking that if only Ukraine submitted themselves to Russian rule, the catastrophic devastation of whole cities including all the infra structure and the fleeing of homes and all those things could have been avoided. The people already speak Russian?

The information I am missing is what would Ukraine look like under Russian rule. A couple of rule changes perhaps but so what in comparison with the carnage.

Last night I heard on the news that Zelensky is wanting to get Israel to help with technology and they mentioned the iron dome technology.

Who would ever have thought that the hibernating Bear of the North (North of Israel) which I believe is Russia would suddenly come on the scene like this and not forgetting their aiding and abetting of Iran in Syria, we are now seeing Russia, Iran, Israel, the Schwab reset guy, the climate change and covid "challenges" what a global crisis paving the way for a global solution. (one the anti Christ will be keen to supply). Then I guess when the ac starts to get things sorted, people will be celebrating saying peace peace and then, sudden destruction.

Here in SA we have rolling blackouts for 12 hours now. The side effects are serious and with all the crime and lawlessness and godlessness and people who are lovers of self and all the 2 Timothy 3 description of what mankind will look like in the last days, more and more is is becoming obvious that just like Jesus said, it will be a time such as has never been no never shall be. Maranatha!

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post
                        I keep thinking that if only Ukraine submitted themselves to Russian rule, the catastrophic devastation of whole cities including all the infra structure and the fleeing of homes and all those things could have been avoided. The people already speak Russian?

The information I am missing is what would Ukraine look like under Russian rule. A couple of rule changes perhaps but so what in comparison with the carnage.

Last night I heard on the news that Zelensky is wanting to get Israel to help with technology and they mentioned the iron dome technology.
                        My complaint is that Zelensky is immoveable. I don't know if he is pocketing aid money, if he won't negotiate on principle, if he just likes being prominent on the world stage... I can't figure him out. But his obstinance is costing a lot of innocent Ukrainian lives. Unless he has a reasonable expectation of outright winning this war, he should be trying to end it. And he's not. Is the impoverished east really worth holding onto? I know for certain that Putin will absolutely fight to the grave to hold onto Crimea, so he can forget about regaining that.

And it irks me that one man - Zelensky - is commanding so much of our tax dollars. Because of his decisions, we have to keep pouring more and more money into his lost cause? If we threatened to cut off the cash, you can bet he would start negotiating an end.

Who would ever have thought that the hibernating Bear of the North (North of Israel) which I believe is Russia would suddenly come on the scene like this and not forgetting their aiding and abetting of Iran in Syria, we are now seeing Russia, Iran, Israel, the Schwab reset guy, the climate change and covid "challenges" what a global crisis paving the way for a global solution. (one the anti Christ will be keen to supply). Then I guess when the ac starts to get things sorted, people will be celebrating saying peace peace and then, sudden destruction.

Here in SA we have rolling blackouts for 12 hours now. The side effects are serious and with all the crime and lawlessness and godlessness and people who are lovers of self and all the 2 Timothy 3 description of what mankind will look like in the last days, more and more is is becoming obvious that just like Jesus said, it will be a time such as has never been no never shall be. Maranatha!
                        SA = ?

Comment

I keep thinking that if only Ukraine submitted themselves to Russian rule, the catastrophic devastation of whole cities including all the infra structure and the fleeing of homes and all those things could have been avoided. The people already speak Russian?

Perhaps you should review the history of Russian rule in Ukraine over the last 100 years (i.e., 1918-1990) before making such a blithe comment. The people speak Russian mostly because Ukrainian was ruthlessly suppressed under Russian rule.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            SA = ?
                            South Africa

sigpic

Comment

Certainly Zelinsky should have done more to negotiate peace before the bullets started flying instead of thumbing his nose at Russia. Of course it didn't help that he along with the US and NATO goaded Russia into attacking by openly pretending that Ukraine was about to join NATO despite Zelinsky being told in private that it was never going to happen. This was a preventable conflict, and now the people of Ukraine are paying the price while Zelinsky and his wife pose for glamour shots in Vogue magazine, and the missus goes on lavish shopping sprees in France. I guess they can afford to continue their pampered lifestyle with the billions of dollars in US aid being thrown their way.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Perhaps you should review the history of Russian rule in Ukraine over the last 100 years (i.e., 1918-1990) before making such a blithe comment. The people speak Russian mostly because Ukrainian was ruthlessly suppressed under Russian rule.
                                The period from 1932 to 1933 alone should suffice to show why Ukrainians have good reason not to be under Russia's thumb.

Comment