Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I still encounter clueless liberals who insist that the invasion was "botched" and that Ukraine is trouncing the Russian army. They become very confused and angry when I tell them the truth.
    It definitely did not go off as planned and they have suffered several serious setbacks but if it continues on eventually Russia will win.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It definitely did not go off as planned and they have suffered several serious setbacks but if it continues on eventually Russia will win.
      The "did not go off as planned" line is straight from the Western propaganda talking points. People who aren't Russia decided how the invasion should have proceeded, and when Russia didn't follow their arbitrary timeline, they giddily announced that things were going poorly, that the Russian army was "stalled", that the invasion was "botched" (these are the same people who reported absurd stories like farmers destroying whole columns of Russian tanks using nothing but pitchforks and raw Ukrainian determination). Except Russia has never publicly stated their timeline or specific objectives, so we really have no idea if their plans have gone awry or not.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The "did not go off as planned" line is straight from the Western propaganda talking points.
        Says the resident Putin propagandist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Says the resident Putin propagandist.
          Be sure to check for Russian agents hiding under your bed. Apparently they're everywhere.

Comment

The "did not go off as planned" line is straight from the Western propaganda talking points. People who aren't Russia decided how the invasion should have proceeded, and when Russia didn't follow their arbitrary timeline, they giddily announced that things were going poorly, that the Russian army was "stalled", that the invasion was "botched" (these are the same people who reported absurd stories like farmers destroying whole columns of Russian tanks using nothing but pitchforks and raw Ukrainian determination). Except Russia has never publicly stated their timeline or specific objectives, so we really have no idea if their plans have gone awry or not.
            The "did not go off as planned" line comes from a series of nearly comical foul-ups possibly worse than our Afghan bug-out.

I'd wager Putin figured this would be a 60 day campaign.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The "did not go off as planned" line comes from a series of nearly comical foul-ups possibly worse than our Afghan bug-out.

Again, consider the source of your information. I have no doubt that Putin feels much differently than what is being reported by our media and government, both of whom have admitted to telling "strategic lies" about the conflict. This isn't to say that everything has gone perfectly for Russia, but it's safe to say that things are not nearly as bad as what is being reported by our own propaganda. Look for the truth somewhere in the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

And with the world's 11th ranked army (size) and 100 million more in population than Ukraine, I don't see any other possibilities. Unless western powers start fighting on Ukraine's side or Zelensky can get Russia to negotiate terms, it won't end well for Ukraine.
                Urm, Ukraine is at total mobilisation, Russia is not. Russia's army is smaller than the mobilisation of Ukraine.

There is a cost to mobilisation, it isn't free - what price is Russia willing to pay for this inevitable win?

Russia will run out of cannon fodder sooner rather than later, defending remains less costly than attacking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post

Urm, Ukraine is at total mobilisation, Russia is not. Russia's army is smaller than the mobilisation of Ukraine.

There is a cost to mobilisation, it isn't free - what price is Russia willing to pay for this inevitable win?

Russia will run out of cannon fodder sooner rather than later, defending remains less costly than attacking.

Russia still hasn't declared war. that's political but it prevents 'full' mobilization.

Problem is, there's not a whole lot left that can be mobilized. Russia has no undefended borders. It's got 'humanitarian' troops on the ground in several places. That's not a huge number but it's that much less than can be mobilized. They're running out of Ukrainian cannon fodder and most of their domestic cannon fodder. They already extended enlistment age to 60 (some reports of 65) and are offering the kitchen sink to convicts.

On paper Russia has more troops to call in. In reality, they don't have nearly that many. The borders alone eat up numbers - and having Finland join NATO just exacerbated the heck out of that problem. Russia isn't going to miraculously call in all its troops because it can't. Recruitment is bottom of the barrel and retention is pretty much ''don't let them come home'.

Russia's fairly anemic 'push' was accomplished primarily with artillery. The HIMARS and other systems are denting the heck out of the supply of shells. Now, Russia can make more - they do have that capacity - but not if all their men are in Ukraine. And definitely not if they don't keep the cash flowing. The more immediate issue is diesel. Supply runs are having to be made from further away and trucks don't run on vapor. Russia has it, of course, but getting what is needed to where it's needed isn't something a former communist country is gonna be great at.

Also, Russia isn't doing great on the defensive, even where it's had time to dig in. They are REALLY dependent on artillery.
                  Last edited by Teallaura; 08-04-2022, 04:09 PM.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Russia is bleeding from a thousand cuts. They are beginning to look like the Black Knight in the Monty Python skit.

Their 'push' took two months to 'take' (aka flatten) two fairly small cities. And that was about it. They were gaining ground slowly. Now it seems to be at parity.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thirty max. He wanted the troops home for the big parade in May.

The only thing Afghanistan has over the Russians is that our stuff was just left behind and not blown up by any guy that could carry an antitank weapon.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• This is is probably a good thing. I don't think US could win a head-to-head war against china. Yes, we obviously have the military hardware, but considering these would be the same buffoons that orchestrated the Afghanistan pullout and allowed Taliban to take over in a day, I don't feel confident whatsoever America could militarily out-strategize china, especially considering it would likely include hybrid warfare.

US postponed missile test due to heightened tensions with China over Pelosi's visit to Taiwan

The US has postponed a long planned missile test over concerns about China's angry response to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to Taiwan earlier this week, a US official tells CNN.

The decision to postpone the test flight of an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile comes as China launched military exercises in response to Pelosi's visit.

"Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has directed DOD to postpone the scheduled test flight as a prudent step," the official said.

The decision was made due to to "increased military activity by the People's Republic of China around Taiwan," the official said. "This is the type of thing responsible nations do," the official said of the postponement. The test was scheduled to happen Wednesday evening into Thursday. It will now happen at a later date to be determined.

China made good on its promise that Taipei would pay a price for hosting Pelosi by launching multiple missiles toward waters near northeastern and southwestern Taiwan on Thursday.

This is not the first time in recent months that the US has canceled a missile test due to geopolitical events. In March, Austin canceled a planned test of a Minute Man III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile to avoid "any actions that could be misunderstood or misconstrued" during heightened tensions with Russia, then Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said at the time.The Wall Street Journal first reported the missile test delay.Unarmed US ICBMs are routinely tested to ensure reliability of the systems.
                        And I'm pretty sure it's inevitable china is going to invade taiwan (in fact, I'm wondering if this is just an excuse for china to deploy their military outfits and maneuver them around taiwan just before invasion?), and I'm also pretty sure US will do nothing.

Comment

Be sure to check for Russian agents hiding under your bed. Apparently they're everywhere.
                          Shhh! Quiet, tovarisch!
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

One of those situations where people don't know who to believe. My father-in-law believes the legacy media on everything (ugh) and he's confused because they aren't very consistent even with themselves.
                            It's been interesting watching Fox News on both this and the Chi-wan fiasco. Gutfeld mentioned how his head was spinning and exploding because various people he's usually in fairly close agreement with have almost no agreement among themselves.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

It's been interesting watching Fox News on both this and the Chi-wan fiasco. Gutfeld mentioned how his head was spinning and exploding because various people he's usually in fairly close agreement with have almost no agreement among themselves.
                              Fog of war. Not until it's all over will we have any chance to learn the details (if then). The problem is that we can't trust anyone to give the straight scoop. Ukraine and Russia are in pure propaganda mode, and western media is both ignorant and speculative (I wouldn't trust them much in any case).

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                This is is probably a good thing. I don't think US could win a head-to-head war against china. Yes, we obviously have the military hardware, but considering these would be the same buffoons that orchestrated the Afghanistan pullout and allowed Taliban to take over in a day, I don't feel confident whatsoever America could militarily out-strategize china, especially considering it would likely include hybrid warfare.

US postponed missile test due to heightened tensions with China over Pelosi's visit to Taiwan

And I'm pretty sure it's inevitable china is going to invade taiwan (in fact, I'm wondering if this is just an excuse for china to deploy their military outfits and maneuver them around taiwan just before invasion?), and I'm also pretty sure US will do nothing.
                                We also have a generation of couch potatoes busy playing video games while trying to be ironic, who get stressed out over pronouns. An actual war? We'd be so screwed.

Comment