Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You seem to have lost your mind.

MM may be a conspiracy nut but an actual Russian agent?

I would think actual Russian agents would be a bit more circumspect and probably woudln't bother with some backwater forum on the internet. Or maybe you are the Russian agent trying to throw off suspicion? Yeah, maybe that's it!
    Falsely accusing someone of being a Russian agent is a smear tactic to discredit someone's dissenting view or opinion on foreign policy. I would expect that from Dems since that's what they've been doing since Trump got elected in 2017. In fact, they were doing it to folks who had dissenting views on Syria . They were accusing Gabbard of being a Russian asset for her dissenting view on Syria even before 2017.

Comment

I would think actual Russian agents would be a bit more circumspect and probably woudln't bother with some backwater forum on the internet. Or maybe you are the Russian agent trying to throw off suspicion? Yeah, maybe that's it!
      Maybe the Russians use this (and probably other sites) for practice when training new agents. As you point out, mistakes here won't resonate far, and the examples here do seem to be at the training stage.

[Edit] Hmmm, they would need fake opponents too, to practice on. (Looks suspiciously at Sparko).

(Please don't take me seriously!)
      Last edited by Alien; 05-02-2022, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alien View Post

Maybe the Russians use this (and probably other sites) for practice when training new agents. As you point out, mistakes here won't resonate far, and the examples here do seem to be at the training stage.

(Please don't take me seriously!)
        Obviously you are a misinformation spy. I am reporting you to Nina Jankowitz!

Comment

You seem to have lost your mind.

MM may be a conspiracy nut but an actual Russian agent?

MM is good tovarich, er comrade, uh he is good guy. Nyet to him being a bot for glorious motherland.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So since a large part of his country was pro-Russia (they have been fighting them for years before this in the Donbas area) that means there actually are Russian collaborators in Ukraine. And Zelenskyy did not invade Ukraine and bomb his people, that was Putin. So yes, he is the "good" guy. What was he supposed to do about Russian collaborators and supporters? They are the enemy as much as the actual Russians are.

What would be the situation if Russia invaded the US and there were people here who sided with the Russians? They would be considered traitors and executed. And you would be leading the charge to hang them.
            Depends on what you mean by "sided with the Russians". If, in your hypothetical scenario, it was simply giving their verbal support, then they would be protected by the First Amendment even if I disproved of what they said. However, if they were providing material aid and comfort to the enemy, then certainly, the law would define them as traitors, and I would support whatever remedy the law allows.

It seems that Zelinsky is going full dictator and seeking to punish people for "speech crimes", which is something I will never support. And this is in addition to him putting his jackboot on the throat of the rest of his country to stamp out any voices of dissent.

The Ukrainian state has been criticised for being too quick to level accusations of treason in the past, however, with neighbouring Hungary — a European Union and NATO member-state — accusing Kyiv of employing “the darkest methods reminiscent of the Soviet era” when it launched criminal proceedings against local councillors in the border region of Transcarpathia, which is home to a large Hungarian ethnic minority, after they sang the Hungarian national anthem at a festival.

[...]

With martial law in place, authorities have banned 11 allegedly pro-Russian political parties, including the country’s largest opposition party, the Opposition Platform For Life, which was founded by Viktor Medvedchuk, a jailed oligarch accused of having close ties to Putin, and had 25 seats in the 450-member Ukrainian parliament, known as the Verkhovna Rada (Supreme Council).

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...collaborators/

It's rather hard to cheer for a guy seems to be just as much of a fascist as the guy who instigated the invasion.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There are no good guys in this war. It's unfortunate for the Ukrainian people that they appear to be trapped between two dictators.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

MM is good tovarich, er comrade, uh he is good guy. Nyet to him being a bot for glorious motherland.

Да. Я вижу, что вы там делаете, товарищ.

Comment

• Perhaps the pro-interventionists will finally get what they wanted -- a world war...

Gen. Milley Warns Congress: Chances Of War Among Great Powers "Increasing, Not Decreasing"

With NATO-Russia tensions boiling, the enduring fog of war on the ground in Ukraine, and constantly ratcheting rhetoric which has even of late dangerously included nuclear threats - this seems almost like an invitation for yet more escalation... not to mention the competing information war which has seen all sides consistently allege false flags in the works... Foreign Policy's Pentagon correspondent reports the following on Tuesday:
                Russian use of chemical or biological weapons against Ukraine would likely trigger a "reaction from the international community": U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Russia could also escalate the Ukraine conflict with a cyber attack, Austin said.

The warning came as Pentagon leaders briefed lawmakers at a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on the Defense Budget.

Austin had issued a similar warning of a "significant reaction" from the West if Russia were to use chemical weapons or WMD in Ukraine a month ago during an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation".

In the early part of April, there had actually been attempts of Ukrainian Azov militants to claim they were victims of a Russian chemical gas attack - but this was met by general skepticism among many war analysts and media pundits - despite UK government attempts to give it credibility.

Austin this week repeating the chemical attack possibility, despite there being no evidence of Russia's intent, keeps the door wide open for Ukrainian fighters who are no doubt desperate for direct Western intervention in the war to float the claims again.

US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley also gave his assessment of how Russia's war is going in the Congressional testimony. He said we are now witnessing "the greatest threat to peace and security of Europe and perhaps the world” in decades.

"The Russian invasion of Ukraine is threatening to undermine not only European peace and stability, but global peace and stability that my parents and generations of Americans fought so hard to defend," Milley said.

On the question of whether a broader war could break out, he said:
                "The potential for significant international conflict between great powers is increasing, not decreasing."
                If it happens, so be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Perhaps the pro-interventionists will finally get what they wanted -- a world war...

Gen. Milley Warns Congress: Chances Of War Among Great Powers "Increasing, Not Decreasing"

If it happens, so be it.
                  I heard a military historian arguing a couple nights ago that by pretty much any measure we are already at war.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Support for Putin (refusal to stand up for Ukraine) is growing rapidly in Republican ranks. Very Trumpy and totally at odds with Europeans.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Support for Putin (refusal to stand up for Ukraine) is growing rapidly in Republican ranks. Very Trumpy and totally at odds with Europeans.
                      False dichotomy.

Comment

• According to Ukrainian General Kyrylo Budanov, the country's military intelligence chief, a coup is underway in Russia to remove Putin from power. He didn't elaborate, other than to say it is "unstoppable."

Boy, if true, that would be great news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          According to Ukrainian General Kyrylo Budanov, the country's military intelligence chief, a coup is underway in Russia to remove Putin from power. He didn't elaborate, other than to say it is "unstoppable."

He thinks Putin would not survive a Russian defeat in Ukraine. That is not certain but Putin will never be weaker than he is now, and therefore the western powers should work together to crush him as quickly as possible - for a brighter future.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            According to Ukrainian General Kyrylo Budanov, the country's military intelligence chief, a coup is underway in Russia to remove Putin from power. He didn't elaborate, other than to say it is "unstoppable."

Honestly, that sounds like propaganda.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                              Support for Putin (refusal to stand up for Ukraine) is growing rapidly in Republican ranks. Very Trumpy and totally at odds with Europeans.
                              I assume you're referring to the fight over the $40 billion aid package that the US can't afford and would bankrupt the country?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I assume you're referring to the fight over the $40 billion aid package that the US can't afford and would bankrupt the country?
                                Even if the US was actually spending $40 billion (which as others have pointed out, it doesn't seem to be, meaning the US isn't actually spending a full $40 billion), how exactly would the US go bankrupt over spending $40 billion? It's less than 1% of the amount the US spends in a year ($6.82 trillion according to https://datalab.usaspending.gov/amer...uide/spending/).

Comment