Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War Three?

It looks like this Ukraine thing is going to kick off. Now you may say that it won't turn into a World war, but these things often take on a life of their own - especially if American citizens are killed in the initial attack, and the fact that we have a befuddled and senile leader... As Obama said - never underestimate Joe's ability to screw things up...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I still think there will be some alternate solution. Like, Ukraine will drop all claims to Crimea - in writing. Or agree to a vote in east Ukraine about joining Russia (they do have a majority in spots) so some already occupied areas will switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      It looks like this Ukraine thing is going to kick off. Now you may say that it won't turn into a World war, but these things often take on a life of their own - especially if American citizens are killed in the initial attack, and the fact that we have a befuddled and senile leader... As Obama said - never underestimate Joe's ability to screw things up...
      It shouldn't. But sadly I think there's going to be military conflict of some sort because these warhawks are obsessed with getting involved in countries we have no business getting involved in.

As to American citizens, I think the other day Psaki made it pretty clear they're not going to help them out, so I'm not sure how that would go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

As to American citizens, I think the other day Psaki made it pretty clear they're not going to help them out, so I'm not sure how that would go.
        Scum bags....
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Scum bags....
          Yep. Found the clip:

I've got a friend who is the CFO for a company that has half their employees in Ukraine (the rest in the US and the UK). They're all ether natives or from Belarus though. They've called off a planned meeting, and are setting up contingency plans for if anything goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep. Found the clip:
            Just like Afghanistan

I've got a friend who is the CFO for a company that has half their employees in Ukraine (the rest in the US and the UK). They're all ether natives or from Belarus though. They've called off a planned meeting, and are setting up contingency plans for if anything goes off.
            I wouldn't want to be there...

Comment

And Xi will meeting with his generals to prepare to invade Taiwan.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nutsy Pelosi is claiming that if Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, it's because Putin is scared of Joe, despite the fact that there was never any evidence that Russia was planning to invade Ukraine.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-biden-policy/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Nutsy Pelosi is claiming that if Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, it's because Putin is scared of Joe, despite the fact that there was never any evidence that Russia was planning to invade Ukraine.

What an idiot...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Russia would love nothing more than to get what it wants without the expense of an invasion.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Russia would love nothing more than to get what it wants without the expense of an invasion.
                      Agreed. It keeps boiling down to Cirmea, over and over again. Western hawks keep making it about Russian expansionism that must be checked before Russkies are sipping tea in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        Agreed. It keeps boiling down to Cirmea, over and over again. Western hawks keep making it about Russian expansionism that must be checked before Russkies are sipping tea in Paris.
                        It isn't as if the Russians haven't rattled their sabers toward the Baltic states as well though, and now that Russia has quietly all but absorbed Belarus, they're even more nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Much as I detest Putin and his kleptocracy I can [historically] understand some of Russia's concerns. It was the same with Germany in the 1900s. The fear of being surrounded by enemies.

Of course in an ideal world Russia would join the EU and NATO.

However, that is very unlikely to occur [at least in the foreseeable future] for various reasons.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It isn't as if the Russians haven't rattled their sabers toward the Baltic states as well though, and now that Russia has quietly all but absorbed Belarus, they're even more nervous.
                            Two things that strike me when considering Russia. One is that they have a national paranoia about being invaded from the west. I mean, it's not like it hasn't happened before. So, the greater the buffer zone the safer they feel.

Secondly, and more importantly in this case, is Crimea. Putin said it himself:

"Let’s imagine that Ukraine is a NATO member, it is fully packed of weapons, it gets advanced attack means like those in Poland and Romania and it starts an operation in Crimea. Let’s imagine that Ukraine is a NATO member state and it initiates a military operation. What should we do then, fight against the NATO bloc? Did anyone think at least something about that? Apparently not.”

Russia's navy is housed in Crimea, and it has been for something like a hundred years. As far as warm-water ports, they don't have many options. It was no biggie during the Soviet Union because Ukraine was connected, but now it's not. And Biden and John Kerry spent a lot of time in Kiev schmoozing Ukraine toward the West. Russia's actions seem predictable.

IMO, it all boils down to Crimea.

Comment

I think everyone is overlooking that China is enabling Putin to do this.

Their goals:
                              1. Test case for when they make demands on/invade Taiwan
                              2. Keep eyes on Europe and off Asia
                              I'm not sure Putin could be doing this without China support.
                              Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 02-14-2022, 08:18 AM. Reason: typo fixing
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment