Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Putin is claiming various reasons, and NATO membership is one of them. If that was his only reason, he could say now "Biden lied and said Ukraine was going to join. Now that I discover that was never going to happen, Russian forces can pull out."

More important than what Putin is saying is what he's not saying... now. He told Trump that he never accepted Ukraine being independent of Russia. That's probably his biggest reason.
    Putin may have not wanted an independent Ukraine, but an independent Ukraine with NATO behind them would have been his worst nightmare. I really can't see how it's a coincidence that Putin attacked after months of Joe selling the idea that Ukraine was on the verge of becoming a NATO member.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Putin may have not wanted an independent Ukraine, but an independent Ukraine with NATO behind them would have been his worst nightmare. I really can't see how it's a coincidence that Putin attacked after months of Joe selling the idea that Ukraine was on the verge of becoming a NATO member.
      Whether planned or not, it absolutely works in favor of the Biden admin. Now they have economic cover, they have inflation cover, they have bear stock market cover, they have energy collapse cover, they have more military spending cover, they have distractions from potential scandals (like the NYT article, which interestingly decided to publish it now). Considering Ukraine wasn't going to be let into NATO anyway, Ukraine was likely a pretty small sacrifice. Of course, all that changes if this goes nuclear, which the Biden admin seems fairly adamant about preventing.

Comment

• And Biden's approval rating has dropped to 40%. His cover isn't working too well.

Comment

And Biden's approval rating has dropped to 40%. His cover isn't working too well.
          I don't think anything could have saved Biden's approval rating. I mean, when an obvious braindead zombie is elected, there's only so much you can do.

Comment

• How Ukraine has become the crucible of the new world order

I guess it comes down to what your definition of "New World Order" means, but that term sure has been used a whole lot lately. On another note, I thought this was an interesting insight from the article...

Joe Biden’s tenure as US president may be fatally undermined by the war. He is praised for avoiding direct military confrontation with Russia. But as in Afghanistan last year, he has failed to prevent a humanitarian disaster – or stop Putin. Anger over resulting domestic energy price rises and retail inflation could be his undoing.
            Hmm...

Comment

• I've always liked that Carville meme: "The economy, stupid." He was speaking to Clinton strategists that were going all over the place in their effort to beat Bush Sr.

IMO, nothing can sink a presidency faster than a bad economy. Second place is war. Third place (but moving up fast) is when the MSM coordinates several false narratives and does everything it can to defeat a prez.

Comment

And Biden's approval rating has dropped to 40%. His cover isn't working too well.
                That part did not work as intended.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Even if you don't want to go any further than just US politics in his decision making, I don't think that many folks actually believe Mr. Braindead is calling the shots.
                  Given how often he used to complain about how "they" won't let him answer, and "they" told him what to say and who to talk to, and "they" had the power to turn off his microphone when he's talking (imagine how fast they would be kicked clean out of Washington if they did that to any other president like Reagan or Obama), it has been clear that old Joe is a figurehead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They clearly had a hand in provoking the invasion, as I and MM pointed out. What kind of dummy invites Zelensky to a meeting right after you had just given the world warnings that an invasion by Russia was imminent and gives a speech about joining NATO days before the invasion? I don't believe the Biden admin is that dumb.
                    "Dumb" enough to publicly approve of an invasion -- as long as its only a "minor incursion"?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It seems likely that Biden is "expendable" in that they will allow him to take the heat for the damage he is doing as long as they get what they want. If they succeed it won't matter to them if Biden goes down in history as the most inept, despised -- worst -- president ever. It is a sacrifice they are willing to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It seems likely that Biden is "expendable" in that they will allow him to take the heat for the damage he is doing as long as they get what they want. If they succeed it won't matter to them if Biden goes down in history as the most inept, despised -- worst -- president ever. It is a sacrifice they are willing to make.
                        I was wondering about that. Obama didn't do a lot of this specific damage because he wanted to protect his legacy. But I bet he's behind the curtain and getting Biden to do it. Joe is clueless; they wave an ice cream in front of him if starts to think about a legacy.

Comment

I was wondering about that. Obama didn't do a lot of this specific damage because he wanted to protect his legacy. But I bet he's behind the curtain and getting Biden to do it. Joe is clueless; they wave an ice cream in front of him if starts to think about a legacy.
                          It appears that old Joe is fed a lot of, as he would say, "malarkey" about what is going on given that he insists that his colossal series of FUBARs that was the Afghanistan withdrawal was an "outstanding success" and that he's "outperforming" as president.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            "Dumb" enough to publicly approve of an invasion -- as long as its only a "minor incursion"?
                            That would seem to be just more evidence they wanted the invasion and provoked it. It's almost as if Biden was basically telling Putin what they would and wouldn't do.

Comment

• Why would the NATO chief tell Russia to stop all this naughty talk about nuclear war and then reassure Russia that NATO won't get physically involved if they do?

NATO head tells Russia it cannot win nuclear war

BRUSSELS (Reuters) – NATO warned on Wednesday against Russia’s war in Ukraine sliding into a nuclear confrontation between Moscow and the West.

“Russia should stop this dangerous irresponsible nuclear rhetoric,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told a news conference. “But let there be no doubt about our readiness to protect and defend allies against any threat anytime.”

“Russia must understand that it can never win a nuclear war,” he said on the eve of a summit of the Western military alliance’s national leaders in Brussels. “NATO is not part of the conflict … it provides support to Ukraine but isn’t part of the conflict.”

“NATO will not send the troops into Ukraine… It is extremely important to provide support to Ukraine and we are stepping up. But at the same time it is also extremely important to prevent this conflict becoming a full-fledged war between NATO and Russia.”
                              Anyone who can't see through this obvious charade, I don't know what to tell ya.

Comment

That would seem to be just more evidence they wanted the invasion and provoked it. It's almost as if Biden was basically telling Putin what they would and wouldn't do.
                                Like when he handed over a list of vital national portions of our infrastructure and told Putin those were too crucial for him to ignore if the Russians hack them?

Comment