Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Contrary to what liberals would have you believe, the average person in America does not use an excessive amount of energy. Most of us try not to use any more than necessary because we don't like paying for it. It's the "elites" with their multiple mansions, limousine caravans, luxury yachts and gas guzzling private jets that are the biggest energy consumers.
    And many of those same elites are the same ones who lecture us about energy consumption and our "carbon footprint" such as hyper hypocrite Leonardo DiCaprio who loves to stay on mega-yachts that emit more CO2 traveling a single mile than the average car produces during 2 months all the while pontificating on how we need to drastically cut back on use. IIRC, he was also the asshat that had an "eyebrow artist" flown from over from Australia to Los Angeles to touch up his eyebrows before the 2017 Oscars.

Or Al Gore, another environmental woke scold who loves to harangue folks about carbon footprints all the while living in a home that consumes more energy than a city block and hopping on private jets that spews out more carbon than a dozen entire households do, to travel all over the world.

There are many others

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I read the RT version of events at the nuclear plant. The article doesn't make much sense. It seems to blame a Ukrainian saboteur group for starting the blaze, and Ukrainian firefighters for extinguishing it.

https://www.rt.com/russia/551210-rus...tion-incident/

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Listening to Fox News, in the course of an hour the reportage from the correspondents in Ukraine went from "The plant was hit, there was at least one explosion, there is fire in the reactor area, there are increased radiation levels" to "There was an explosion, the fire is in an area separate from any of the six reactors, there is no evidence of increased radiation levels, the reactors are being shut down safely."

They noted that they are getting info from the IAEA, but also noted that IAEA does not have people on site, and is dependent on the information they are getting from Ukraine.
        Latest reports seem to suggest that the nuclear plant was never actually in any danger, and that after Russian military took control of the area, they allowed plant personal on site to continue maintenance.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I read the RT version of events at the nuclear plant. The article doesn't make much sense. It seems to blame a Ukrainian saboteur group for starting the blaze, and Ukrainian firefighters for extinguishing it.

https://www.rt.com/russia/551210-rus...tion-incident/
          I've seen sporadic claims of other false flags, but who really knows. Like I said, there is so much conflicting information from both sides (and often from the same side!) that it's impossible to know what to believe.

(And apparently my willingness to admit my confusion makes me a Russian agent. )
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-04-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Who knows. Like I said, there is so much conflicting information from both sides (and often from the same side!) that's impossible to know what to believe.
            The RT article:

The spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Defense, Major General Igor Konashenkov, issued an official statement on Friday morning concerning the shootout and fire that had occurred at Ukraine’s Zaporozhskaya nuclear power plant earlier the same day.

Last night, an attempt to carry out a horrible provocation was made by Kiev’s nationalist regime on the area surrounding the station,” he announced, claiming the Russian troops patrolling the territory had been attacked by a Ukrainian sabotage group.

According to the spokesman, the Ukrainian forces had attacked Russian soldiers at about 2am local time, opening heavy fire from the training facility next to the power station in order to “provoke a retaliatory strike on the building.”

The Russian patrol had neutralized the group’s firing points, but the saboteurs had then set fire to the training facility as they retreated, Konashenkov said. The blaze was put out by the Ukrainian State Emergency Service’s firefighters. “At the moment of provocation, no staff members were at the facility,” he noted.

In response to the Russian Ministry of Defense’s statement, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky denied the provocation claims and accused Russian forces of having staged the attack.

The mayor of the nearby town of Energodar had originally reported that the fire had been caused by Russian shelling, and that the blaze had engulfed the power plant itself, but the emergency services dismissed the latter claim.

It was reported on Monday that the facility had been captured by Russian forces, and that staff were keeping operations going and monitoring radiation levels. The International Atomic Energy Agency has offered assurances that there has been no change in those levels in the wake of the incident.

Russia began its military offensive in Ukraine last week, claiming its invasion was aimed at “demilitarizing” and “denazifying” the government in Kiev and stopping what it called the “genocide” in the two breakaway regions of Donetsk and Lugansk. Ukraine has accused Moscow of an unprovoked offensive, with the US and its NATO allies following suit and imposing severe economic sanctions.

IOW, "They shot at us from the building next door to provoke us to shoot at the plant. We didn't, so they set fire to the building and then put out the fire themselves. Don't pay any attention to the fact that out troops were in control of the plant at the time." Too murky.
            Last edited by Ronson; 03-04-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I've seen sporadic claims of other false flags, but who really knows. Like I said, there is so much conflicting information from both sides (and often from the same side!) that it's impossible to know what to believe.

(And apparently my willingness to admit my confusion makes me a Russian agent. )
              It's your cache of vodka, caviar and borscht we found that raised ... um, the red flag.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The RT article:

The spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Defense, Major General Igor Konashenkov, issued an official statement on Friday morning concerning the shootout and fire that had occurred at Ukraine’s Zaporozhskaya nuclear power plant earlier the same day.

Last night, an attempt to carry out a horrible provocation was made by Kiev’s nationalist regime on the area surrounding the station,” he announced, claiming the Russian troops patrolling the territory had been attacked by a Ukrainian sabotage group.

According to the spokesman, the Ukrainian forces had attacked Russian soldiers at about 2am local time, opening heavy fire from the training facility next to the power station in order to “provoke a retaliatory strike on the building.”

The Russian patrol had neutralized the group’s firing points, but the saboteurs had then set fire to the training facility as they retreated, Konashenkov said. The blaze was put out by the Ukrainian State Emergency Service’s firefighters. “At the moment of provocation, no staff members were at the facility,” he noted.

In response to the Russian Ministry of Defense’s statement, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky denied the provocation claims and accused Russian forces of having staged the attack.

The mayor of the nearby town of Energodar had originally reported that the fire had been caused by Russian shelling, and that the blaze had engulfed the power plant itself, but the emergency services dismissed the latter claim.

It was reported on Monday that the facility had been captured by Russian forces, and that staff were keeping operations going and monitoring radiation levels. The International Atomic Energy Agency has offered assurances that there has been no change in those levels in the wake of the incident.

Russia began its military offensive in Ukraine last week, claiming its invasion was aimed at “demilitarizing” and “denazifying” the government in Kiev and stopping what it called the “genocide” in the two breakaway regions of Donetsk and Lugansk. Ukraine has accused Moscow of an unprovoked offensive, with the US and its NATO allies following suit and imposing severe economic sanctions.

IOW, "They shot at us from the building next door to provoke us to shoot at the plant. We didn't, so they set fire to the building and then put out the fire themselves. Don't pay any attention to the fact that out troops were in control of the plant at the time." Too murky.
                That seems to align with what is being reported by the mainstream media this morning, that the plant was never actually in danger, and normal operations resumed after Russian military secured the area.

Comment

That seems to align with what is being reported by the mainstream media this morning, that the plant was never actually in danger, and normal operations resumed after Russian military secured the area.
                  RT is claiming Ukrainian saboteurs set fire to the training building (at the plant complex) where Zelensky is claiming Russian shelling started the blaze. Agreed, it appears the sensitive nuclear areas were not in danger.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Why should that be a condition to keep one's job? That's retarded.
                    Because businesses have an image to keep. When you're a Russian who has made questionable comments in the past and now your country is invading another, yeah, a business can expect you to do the bare minimum. In this case, however, she chose to quit.

Comment

RT is claiming Ukrainian saboteurs set fire to the training building (at the plant complex) where Zelensky is claiming Russian shelling started the blaze. Agreed, it appears the sensitive nuclear areas were not in danger.

Comment

Lol, rejects any media critical of Russia but readily laps up RT like a child suckling from a teat.

Comment

Each side is blaming the other. No idea who is telling the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Lol, rejects any media critical of Russia but readily laps up RT like a child suckling from a teat.
                            Actually, it was reported by CNN. That's where I first read about it, but you keep on with your "Red Scare" nonsense. Any chance you had of being mistaken for a reasonable and rational person is long gone at this point.

Comment

Each side is blaming the other. No idea who is telling the truth.
                              The bigger question is why the Russians went after the plant in the first place. It is a dangerous objective and not much to be gained from it, except to disrupt power in the area (I don't know how their grid is set up or if the plant is even contributing much).

Comment

• Another war crime for MM to ignore:
                                https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...-22/index.html
                                School destroyed by Russian rocket in Zhytomyr

21751539-8080-4af5-ac9a-486bf5ac0dcc.jpg
                                A school in Zhytomyr, northern Ukraine, was hit by a Russian rocket on Friday morning, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Images geolocated by CNN of the school after the attack show significant damage and partial collapse of the building.

In a video statement, Zhytomyr Mayor Sergei Sukhomlin also confirmed the strike saying the Russian attackers "do not stop at anything. This is a school. Rather these ruins are a former school in the Ukrainian city of Zhytomyr."

The news comes after at least three schools in Ukraine's second-largest city, Kharkiv, were hit by Russian military strikes on Tuesday, according to videos and photos posted to social media. CNN has geolocated and confirmed the authenticity of the videos and photos.

Other buildings that have been reported as destroyed during Russian's invasion of Ukraine include cultural sites such as churches, cathedrals and museums, namely in the cities of Kyiv and Kharkiv, according to statement from the Ukrainian Ministry of Culture and Information Policy.

Comment