Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Who said anything about the ruling class? Seriously? Exactly whose salaries and pensions
    Military men and women. Veterans. Elderly. The people keeping things running. Are you as braindead as Hypatia or what?

do you think our tax dollars are funding? The corruption of the Ukrainian government is a well established fact, and you can be certain that whatever money trickles down to the ordinary citizens will be pennies on the dollar. Perhaps that's why the rest of Europe is reluctant to pitch in.
    See above, dimbulb.

Comment

U.S. taxpayers are now responsible for financially supporting the lifestyle of Ukrainian citizens directly. Earlier today the Biden administration sent $4.5 billion to the Ukraine government to pay for their “salaries, pensions, welfare and healthcare costs“; with an additional $1 billion in weapons. Total package $5.5 billion for Ukraine. Meanwhile, congressional members are doubling the size of the IRS enforcement to keep Americans paying for these expenditures.

Europe is not paying to support the lifestyle of their neighbors, we are. Somehow, I doubt that Germany would be willing to pay the expenses of the Mexican government – yet it is perfectly justified (in their mind) for the U.S. to carry the financial burden of Ukraine. The more you think about it, the more infuriating it becomes.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...on-in-weapons/
      79355db5-4826-4b2f-a2e5-ae80a7925b7a.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Are they suggesting that the portion that goes directly into the pockets of Ukraine's politicians is larger or smaller?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Are they suggesting that the portion that goes directly into the pockets of Ukraine's politicians is larger or smaller?
          I assume that 70% isn't going where it should but then decided to memory hole it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Somein' smells mighty f-i-s-h-y...

Biden "Not Worried" About Chinese Aggression - Press Secretary Scrambles To Clarify

President Joe Biden on Monday reacted to China's military announcing it is extending drills surrounding Taiwan. The four days of live fire exercises, which Taiwan sees as a direct threat and has described as effectively a "blockade", were scheduled to end Sunday, but the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theatre Command announced Monday that it is "continuing joint training under real war conditions, focused on organizing joint anti-submarine warfare and naval strikes."

In the fresh remarks, Biden said in what was a surprise to many that he's "not worried" about Chinese aggression toward Taiwan at this moment. "I’m not worried, but I’m concerned that they’re moving as much as they are. But I don’t think they’re going to do anything more," Biden told a group of reporters before traveling to Kentucky.

That's when a reporter directly asked whether House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip was a "mistake" given the ongoing Chinese military pressure put on Taiwan, and the deterioration of China-US talks, even the cancelation of military-to-military dialogue.

Biden responded simply with "That was her decision."

Naturally the White House later had to clarify what seemed like the commander-in-chief greatly downplaying China's threat against Taiwan, given also state media days ago declared this the start of a "rehearsal for re-unification"...
            "They are provocative, irresponsible, and raise the risk of miscalculation, that’s what the president was referring to," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said on Monday, referring to China’s response.

"They are also at odd with our longstanding goal of maintaining peace and stability across the Taiwan strait, which is what the world expects," she added.

Biden last month cited the US military who said Pelosi's trip was "not a good idea". Subsequent reporting suggests the White House scrambled to mitigate the severing of US-China relations. However, Beijing has still said the Biden administration could have put a stop to the trip if it really wanted to.

A Taiwan defense ministry statement on Monday confirmed that PLA drills encircling the self-ruled island are ongoing, citing that 39 PLA aircraft were detected, many which breached the air defense identification zone, along with 13 Chinese warships in surrounding waters.

Taiwan's military said it "monitored the situation and responded to these activities with aircraft in CAP, naval vessels, and land-based missile systems" in what remains a highly unpredictable and dangerous situation. At this point it's unclear when China's military plans to halt its drills. According to the latest out of the US administration meanwhile:
            So Biden is "not worried" that china has surrounded taiwan and dialed up a volatile situation to eleven (which the WH had to apparently walk back AS USUAL), and is sure they won't do anything? How in the heck is he so sure of this? Or did Biden, in his cognitive filter free mind, give us a clue of something fishy afoot?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Somein' smells mighty f-i-s-h-y...

Biden "Not Worried" About Chinese Aggression - Press Secretary Scrambles To Clarify

So Biden is "not worried" that china has surrounded taiwan and dialed up a volatile situation to eleven (which the WH had to apparently walk back AS USUAL), and is sure they won't do anything? How in the heck is he so sure of this? Or did Biden, in his cognitive filter free mind, give us a clue of something fishy afoot?
              If there's one thing we know about Joe and his administration, it's that they are masters at creating chaos.

Comment

If there's one thing we know about Joe and his administration, it's that they are masters at creating chaos.
                I was always suspicious about Pelosi's trip (as everyone else trying to make sense of it). Not only did it not make any sense, but I have absolutely zero belief in the fact Pelosi would have took that grave risk against her own life unless she had assurances.

Comment

I was always suspicious about Pelosi's trip (as everyone else trying to make sense of it). Not only did it not make any sense, but I have absolutely zero belief in the fact Pelosi would have took that grave risk against her own life unless she had assurances.
                  Making sure the Big Guy continues to get his 10%.

Comment

Making sure the Big Guy continues to get his 10%.
                    I'm thinking it was a bit more broader. Something like "You back off of supporting russia in ukraine, and we won't intervene when you take taiwan" type of scenario. Hence, the reason they shored up that US chip bill.

Comment

I think it's more than flexing muscles. We all knew prior to this charade that they were eventually likely going to invade Taiwan, especially considering now would be their open window when we have a feckless political system and inept military. It looks like they're either practicing for an eventual invasion, or using "drills" to strategically maneuver themselves in place for an eventual real invasion. If this is true, Pelosi's visit (which makes absolutely no sense) basically gave them the greenlight.
                      According to the GT, which I believe is controlled by CCP....

(bold emphasis mine)
                      PLA drills around Taiwan continue to 'rehearse reunification operation' after Pelosi's visit, 'exercises blockading island to become routine'

From the designated PLA military drills area, the operations could pose a threat to major ports and shipping lanes in Taiwan, forming a complete blockage. This blockage style could be one of the action plans taken in the future for achieving the reunification by force, Herman Shuai, a retired Taiwan lieutenant general, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

Two northern exercise areas designated by the PLA are located off the coast of Keelung Port and Taipei Port, the central exercise area is located off the Taichung Port, the southern exercise area is located off the Kaohsiung Port and the eastern one is located off the Hualien Port. The exercise areas are a "template" for "locking down Taiwan," Shuai said. "If the PLA exercises take a long time, it will constitute a substantial blockage of Taiwan."

The PLA' s drills this time are "comprehensive and highly targeted," showing the determination of resolving Taiwan question once and for all, Chinese mainland military expert Song Zhongping told the Global Times on Wednesday.

The drill should be viewed as a war plan rehearsal, Song said, "In the event of a future military conflict, it is likely that the operational plans currently being rehearsed will be directly translated into combat operations."

Comment

• Russia Deploys MiG Fighters Armed With Hypersonic Missiles To Kaliningrad

Russia's defense ministry announced Thursday that it has deployed fighter planes equipped with cutting edge hypersonic missiles to its Baltic region exclave of Kaliningrad, which a statement said will provide "additional measures of strategic deterrence."

The statement detailed that three MiG-31 fighters armed with Kinzhal hypersonic missiles have landed at the Chkalovsk air base in Kaliningrad Oblast. The defense ministry emphasized that the warplanes will be put on "round-the-clock alert" - at a moment tensions with Ukraine's powerful Western backers like the United States continue to soar.

File image via Russian MoDOn a few alleged occasions over the last six months of war in Ukraine, Russia has been accused of launching hypersonic missiles on Ukrainian targets; however, the Pentagon has downplayed that it's not a gamechanger.
                        But such an intentionally publicized move as placing hypersonic missile armed MiG fighters on "alert" at Russia's Baltic outpost is an escalatory move aimed at NATO and Ukraine's Western backers which have been ramping up longer-range missile and weapons shipments to Kiev. Kaliningrad borders NATO members Poland and Lithuania, both of which will see this move as a severe threat to their national security.

The Associated Press isreporting that Finland is alarmed its airspace may have been violated by the MiGs as they were en route to the Kaliningrad base:
                        A video released by the Defense Ministry showed the fighters arriving at the base but not carrying the missiles, which were apparently delivered separately.
                        Finland’s Defense Ministry said Thursday that two Russian MIG-31 fighter jets were suspected of having violating Finnish airspace in the Gulf of Finland off the southern town of Porvoo, west of Helsinki. The Nordic country’s Border Guard started a preliminary investigation into the incident.

The Russian MoD and state media released video of the MiG fighters arriving in Kaliningrad. Ukraine government-linked officials have also highlighted the transfer with alarm...

As for Finland, Germany earlier in the week said that the military alliance will seek to fast-track its membership in NATO after its controversial application alongside Sweden. This after prior Kremlin warnings that doing so could unleash a nuclear arms build-up and standoff in the Baltics.

Moscow had already bolstered its forces in Kaliningrad with precision-guided, nuclear-capable Iskander missiles and other advanced systems, and for years there have already been concerns in Europe and the West that it could build-up nuclear weapons there - at installations a mere 50 miles from Poland.

However, Russia claims it is exercising "nuclear responsibility" and that it must take steps to 'deter' threats from the West amid the Ukraine conflict:
                        "The events in Ukraine demonstrated that a clash with the collective West is a real possibility," Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ivan Nechayev said Thursday while emphasizing that a "direct confrontation with the U.S. and NATO isn’t in our interests."
                        Speaking at a briefing, Nechayev said: "Russia as a nuclear power will continue to act with maximum responsibility" and "the Russian military doctrine envisages a nuclear response only in retaliation to an aggression involving weapons of mass destruction or in a situation when the very existence of the state comes under threat."

But he stressed that apart from the nuclear question, Russia's military possesses enough conventional weapons "allow it to fully implement the goals set by the Russian president" - in reference to the "special operation" in Ukraine ordered by Putin.

"We proceed from the assumption that the U.S. and NATO are aware where their aggressive anti-Russian rhetoric with an emphasis on a possible use of nuclear weapons can lead to," Nechayev said.

In the meantime, the leader of Finland shows her readiness to face a dire situation and Russian threats against their NATO membership that could potentially result in WW3.

Comment

Russia Deploys MiG Fighters Armed With Hypersonic Missiles To Kaliningrad

In the meantime, the leader of Finland shows her readiness to face a dire situation and Russian threats against their NATO membership that could potentially result in WW3.
                          I think Lithuania is more in Russia's crosshairs than Finland is. Putin has already complained about Lithuania refusing entry of some Russian supply trains (which they had to do because of NATO sanctions). He said (paraphrase) that he wouldn't tolerate a blockade of Kaliningrad by Lithuania, which has easement agreements with Russia.

Comment

What "anti-Russia", I have no dislike for Russia - if it stays within its borders no one gives a rats about Russia - invading other countries in wars of conquest is the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think Lithuania is more in Russia's crosshairs than Finland is. Putin has already complained about Lithuania refusing entry of some Russian supply trains (which they had to do because of NATO sanctions). He said (paraphrase) that he wouldn't tolerate a blockade of Kaliningrad by Lithuania, which has easement agreements with Russia.
                              It's just that, even though the ADHD news media and social media NPCs have suddenly switched away from this to Trump 24/7, none of what's been happening with the war has deescalated, but is only escalating. I think what we're seeing is a perfect example of either normalcy bias or a very decadent generation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post

What "anti-Russia", I have no dislike for Russia - if it stays within its borders no one gives a rats about Russia - invading other countries in wars of conquest is the issue.
                                Try again in English so I might comprehend what the heck you're talking about.

Comment