Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    We also have a generation of couch potatoes busy playing video games while trying to be ironic, who get stressed out over pronouns. An actual war? We'd be so screwed.
    From what I've read, military is struggling to get new recruits. Can you even imagine the societal meltdown if US had to initiate a draft?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

From what I've read, military is struggling to get new recruits. Can you even imagine the societal meltdown if US had to initiate a draft?
      Given that our government spent the last several decades showing they won't support those recruits once they retire (and even in many cases barely give them the armor and support they need in the field, all while ravenously sending those same folks off on pointless wars to die or be maimed or forever mentally altered), and the insane display that we just watched the last several months twisting arms to try to get the government to pay for troops exposed to burn pits.... I'm not surprised. The government since at least Vietnam has shown a level of contempt and simply lack of care toward us that is mindboggling. No surprise at all that the military is struggling, especially in this day and age where anyone with a phone can be connected to a worldwide network of articles and videos and information showing that to be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Spokesman for the National Security Council says that the United States does not support Taiwan independence, which is exactly what China wanted to hear.

Those six words, “we do not support Taiwan independence,” was a very deliberate and public assurance to China. Essentially, the United States will not do anything to support the independence of Taiwan, do whatever you want. Joe Biden took a knee to Chairman Xi. As a result, Beijing dropped back their tone to traditional rhetoric saying in a statement Tuesday morning, the visit “seriously infringes upon China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.”

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-independence/

And then almost as if on queue, the media was immediately distracted by reports of an old and decrepit Al Qaeda leader being killed in a US military strike.
        Erm.... You don't seem to know what you're talking about. That's always been our policy wrt Taiwan.

The only thing that's different now is we have an mentally incompetent president making statements that we'll defend Taiwan, that we'll strike back at China, etc., talking straight out of his arse in a way that does not reflect the decades of policy wrt China/Taiwan (which is what the NSC spokesman was actually repeating and following, which you seem ignorantly upset over).

The problem here is not the correct, by-the-book statement of the NSC spokesman who said exactly what he should have under US policy, the problem is the buffoon who does not know what policy is and has given wildly varying statements that don't match up with our policy.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          China Launching ‘Targeted Military Operations’ Encircling Taiwan After Pelosi Lands On Island

Communist China will launch military operations encircling Taiwan in response to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) landing Tuesday on the island.

Pelosi is the first House speaker to visit Taiwan since Newt Gingrich’s 1997 visit, an island that China falsely claims is its territory, which has sparked China’s military to be put on high alert.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/china...mpaign=dwbrand
          Well, not a whole lot came of it other than China flexing its biceps.

We did get some gems from Pelosi, though. Apparently Benjamin Franklin was President. Oh, and she has always felt a 'connection' to China because she used to try to dig a hole to China while at the beach.

Literally both of the most powerful political leaders in our country are now mentally addled old twits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Given that our government spent the last several decades showing they won't support those recruits once they retire (and even in many cases barely give them the armor and support they need in the field, all while ravenously sending those same folks off on pointless wars to die or be maimed or forever mentally altered), and the insane display that we just watched the last several months twisting arms to try to get the government to pay for troops exposed to burn pits.... I'm not surprised. The government since at least Vietnam has shown a level of contempt and simply lack of care toward us that is mindboggling. No surprise at all that the military is struggling, especially in this day and age where anyone with a phone can be connected to a worldwide network of articles and videos and information showing that to be the case.
            I'm not so sure that's the reason. I mean, that's a reason, but another big problem is something that the military can't really do much about: so many more people are in bad shape (e.g. being overweight) that they couldn't get into the military anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              I'm not so sure that's the reason. I mean, that's a reason, but another big problem is something that the military can't really do much about: so many more people are in bad shape (e.g. being overweight) that they couldn't get into the military anyway.
              My dude, there were plenty of folks in bad shape when I went to boot camp back during the draft. The military had plenty of fixes for that.

Comment

My dude, there were plenty of folks in bad shape when I went to boot camp back during the draft. The military had plenty of fixes for that.
                Right, even in the Marine Corps in 71 we had 'fat bodies' in boot camp - they weren't fat twelve weeks later...But I do think that boys were different back then, less effeminate and less sedentary.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Fewer and fewer can meet basic fitness requirements.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Biden's weakness is encouraging all of our enemies to get bold and start making moves. He will end up starting WW3 if we don't get him out of office soon.

Comment

Well, not a whole lot came of it other than China flexing its biceps.

We did get some gems from Pelosi, though. Apparently Benjamin Franklin was President. Oh, and she has always felt a 'connection' to China because she used to try to dig a hole to China while at the beach.

Literally both of the most powerful political leaders in our country are now mentally addled old twits.
                      I think it's more than flexing muscles. We all knew prior to this charade that they were eventually likely going to invade Taiwan, especially considering now would be their open window when we have a feckless political system and inept military. It looks like they're either practicing for an eventual invasion, or using "drills" to strategically maneuver themselves in place for an eventual real invasion. If this is true, Pelosi's visit (which makes absolutely no sense) basically gave them the greenlight.

Comment

• U.S. taxpayers are now responsible for financially supporting the lifestyle of Ukrainian citizens directly. Earlier today the Biden administration sent $4.5 billion to the Ukraine government to pay for their “salaries, pensions, welfare and healthcare costs“; with an additional $1 billion in weapons. Total package $5.5 billion for Ukraine. Meanwhile, congressional members are doubling the size of the IRS enforcement to keep Americans paying for these expenditures.

Europe is not paying to support the lifestyle of their neighbors, we are. Somehow, I doubt that Germany would be willing to pay the expenses of the Mexican government – yet it is perfectly justified (in their mind) for the U.S. to carry the financial burden of Ukraine. The more you think about it, the more infuriating it becomes.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...on-in-weapons/
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

U.S. taxpayers are now responsible for financially supporting the lifestyle of Ukrainian citizens directly. Earlier today the Biden administration sent $4.5 billion to the Ukraine government to pay for their “salaries, pensions, welfare and healthcare costs“; with an additional $1 billion in weapons. Total package $5.5 billion for Ukraine. Meanwhile, congressional members are doubling the size of the IRS enforcement to keep Americans paying for these expenditures.

Europe is not paying to support the lifestyle of their neighbors, we are. Somehow, I doubt that Germany would be willing to pay the expenses of the Mexican government – yet it is perfectly justified (in their mind) for the U.S. to carry the financial burden of Ukraine. The more you think about it, the more infuriating it becomes.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...on-in-weapons/
                          Wow, imagine that, a country that's been under siege for 6 months can't tax citizens who have been fighting for their lives and needs help taking care of government workers and the welfare and healthcare of people whose homes have been destroyed, whose cities have been flattened, who have had to flee with the clothes on their backs. Who would have imagined?

Comment

Wow, imagine that, a country that's been under siege for 6 months can't tax citizens who have been fighting for their lives and needs help taking care of government workers and the welfare and healthcare of people whose homes have been destroyed, whose cities have been flattened, who have had to flee with the clothes on their backs. Who would have imagined?
                            Because when a country is at war, ensuring that the ruling class can retire in style is important.

You also missed the part about how the US is picking up pretty much the whole tab (one we can't even afford) while the rest of Europe is barely lifting a finger to help their neighbor.

Comment

Because when a country is at war, ensuring that the ruling class can retire in style is important.
                              Who said anything about the ruling class, you braindead twit? You do understand the concept that people in the military are paid money, given healtcare, etc., as are ordinary citizens, right? And that the elderly living there still need money from pensions, etc..? Or does that not make it past Putin's sphincter to be able to enter your noggin?

You also missed the part about how the US is picking up pretty much the whole tab (one we can't even afford) while the rest of Europe is barely lifting a finger to help their neighbor.

So claims your russian propaganda site.

Comment

Who said anything about the ruling class, you braindead twit? You do understand the concept that people in the military are paid money, given healtcare, etc., as are ordinary citizens, right? And that the elderly living there still need money from pensions, etc..? Or does that not make it past Putin's sphincter to be able to enter your noggin?

So claims your russian propaganda site.
                                Who said anything about the ruling class? Seriously? Exactly whose salaries and pensions do you think our tax dollars are funding? The corruption of the Ukrainian government is a well established fact, and you can be certain that whatever money trickles down to the ordinary citizens will be pennies on the dollar. Perhaps that's why the rest of Europe is reluctant to pitch in.

Comment