Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden rejects Army report of Afghanistan withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden rejects Army report of Afghanistan withdrawal

Why am I not surprised?

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/593822-biden-says-he-rejects-findings-of-army-report-on-afghanistan

Biden says he rejects findings of Army report on Afghanistan

President Biden on Thursday said he rejected the accounts and findings of an Army investigative report in which military officials reportedly criticized Biden administration officials for failing to grasp the situation in Afghanistan as U.S. forces withdrew.

Asked about the report during an interview with NBC’s Lester Holt on Thursday, Biden said that it didn’t square with his impression of the administration's handling of the withdrawal.
    “No, that’s not that I was told,” Biden said when asked if the details of the investigation, which was reported by The Washington Post, rang true to him. “There was no good time to get out, but if we had not gotten out, they acknowledged we would have had to put a hell of a lot more troops back in.”

Asked if he was rejecting the accounts or conclusions of the report, Biden replied, “Yes, I am.”
    “I am rejecting them,” he said.

The Post reported earlier this week that the Army report stretches thousands of pages and contains sworn testimony from commanders involved in the withdrawal from Afghanistan last summer.
    According to The Post, military officials quoted in the document accused White House and State Department officials of not recognizing the swift advance of the Taliban as U.S. forces withdrew from the country. It reportedly points to disagreements over how to handle the evacuation of Americans and at-risk Afghans.

The withdrawal from Afghanistan was a low point for Biden in his first year in office. While a majority of Americans support withdrawing from the country, the chaotic nature of the U.S. military exit spawned criticism from Republicans and Democrats of the administration’s handling of it.

Biden has firmly defended his decision to withdraw, saying that remaining in Afghanistan would have cost more American lives and forced the U.S. to commit more forces to fight off the Taliban.

Asked about the Army report earlier this week, White House press secretary Jen Psaki insisted the administration was prepared for “a range of contingencies,” but noted that U.S. officials did not anticipate Afghanistan falling to the Taliban as quickly as it did.

“There was a range of contingency planning that was done in close coordination by all of the players on the national security team at the time to prepare for a range of options and a range of outcomes,” Psaki said.

© Copyright Original Source

Old Joe still maintains that the Afghan bugout was an "outstanding success" so it is no surprise that he rejects the conclusion that he is a foul-up.

Keep in mind he also maintains that he "outperformed" during his first year.

Voters disagree.

According to a just released poll by CNN, 60% of Americans disapprove of how old Joe is doing his job (the RCP average places him under 40%) with most of that group saying there's literally nothing Biden has done since taking office that they approve of. This goes with a Rasmussen poll that found that 54% think he ranks among the worst chief executives in American history (that's lower than Trump who had to fight fraudulent charges and a toxically hostile MSM). In fact, I heard old Joe's numbers for his first year are worse than any other president.

But he thinks a colossal failure was an "outstanding success" and he is "outperform[ing]" any expectations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Biden
      Asked if he was rejecting the accounts or conclusions of the report, Biden replied, “Yes, I am.”
      “I am rejecting them,” he said.
      Joe was there! He witnessed it so he should know better than the army!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Why am I not surprised?
        Probably because Biden's a politician, responding to criticism the way politicians do.

No doubt the withdrawal from Afghanistan could have been handled better, but the fact is that we're out, and in the long run that's the important thing. Since we don't have a Trump withdrawal from Afghanistan to compare it to, I don't think it's really a campaign issue, though I'm sure people who were going to vote against Biden anyway will cite that as one of their reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
          Probably because Biden's a politician, responding to criticism the way politicians do.

No doubt the withdrawal from Afghanistan could have been handled better, but the fact is that we're out, and in the long run that's the important thing. Since we don't have a Trump withdrawal from Afghanistan to compare it to, I don't think it's really a campaign issue, though I'm sure people who were going to vote against Biden anyway will cite that as one of their reasons.
          That "long run" may include the invasion of Ukraine and even Taiwan thanks entirely to the "outstanding success" old Joe had. And let's not forget what Iran and North Korea might do (and are doing) thanks to that "outstanding success."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That "long run" may include the invasion of Ukraine and even Taiwan thanks entirely to the "outstanding success" old Joe had. And let's not forget what Iran and North Korea might do (and are doing) thanks to that "outstanding success."
            I thought most conservatives were okay with an invasion of Ukraine.

Comment

I disagree. It will be a big campaign issue and his "rejecting" the report is tantamount to calling the interviewees in the report outright liars because they signed off on them under oath. They are legally attested documents. He just pissed off his entire military.

Comment

Nobody I know or have heard is "okay" with it. There is a lot of resignation that having such a weak doddering president has made it all but inevitable and that there is really very little that we can do.

There is also a feeling that Ukraine is not the hill to make a stand on with that being Taiwan -- which is also on the chopping block thanks to Captain Trunalimunumaprzure.

But nobody is "okay" with it.

Comment

Military ventures don't tend to be very partisan, from what I've seen. Some may prefer invading one country over another, but there are politicians on both sides that kowtow to the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Military ventures don't tend to be very partisan, from what I've seen. Some may prefer invading one country over another, but there are politicians on both sides that kowtow to the military.
                    If so, the ones who kowtowed with regard to Afghanistan were not in any position to influence decisions it seems.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No doubt the withdrawal from Afghanistan could have been handled better...
                      That's a colossal understatement. It's hard to imagine how they could have done worse.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-11-2022, 03:43 PM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

If so, the ones who kowtowed with regard to Afghanistan were not in any position to influence decisions it seems.
                        Afghanistan.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's a colossal understatement. It's hard to imagine how they could have done worse.
                          That suggests a lack of imagination on your part.

Comment

If a real war actually kicks off in Ukraine, it's going to be really amusing to me watching how all you war hawk tough guy leftists react to the consequences of that.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

If a real war actually kicks off in Ukraine, it's going to be really amusing to me watching how all you war hawk tough guy leftists react to the consequences of that.
                              Who are you calling a war hawk?

Comment