Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

End of Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You quoted from a play that contains the n-word. Prepare to be canceled
    It isn't a play.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "the n-word" either.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And some people still use Myspace.

Neither one is even the same business it once was. AOL has been bought and sold several times now and is currently a Yahoo brand. Myspace is now some sort of music/entertainment site.
      I had a Geocities website back in the dark ages of the internet. I only used it to share some Petra concert photos with a couple of friends and never did anything else with it.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

How is the Metaverse functionally different from SecondLife, which came out decades ago and never caught mainstream popularity?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          How is the Metaverse functionally different from SecondLife, which came out decades ago and never caught mainstream popularity?
          From what I understand it requires VR to use. Second Life just required a computer that could run it. VR has the potential to be much more immersive than your typical computer games.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

From what I understand it requires VR to use. Second Life just required a computer that could run it. VR has the potential to be much more immersive than your typical computer games.
            And Facebook has billions of dollars to keep throwing at it and market it. Second life never really had any marketing other than word of mouth and a few geek articles here and there.

I don't really see the appeal of just wandering through a virtual world talking to people. I can see it in a game where you have goals and quests, and can still have a town where you interact with people socially, but just wandering around a virtual town with no purpose seems kind of boring.

Comment

And Facebook has billions of dollars to keep throwing at it and market it. Second life never really had any marketing other than word of mouth and a few geek articles here and there.

I don't really see the appeal of just wandering through a virtual world talking to people. I can see it in a game where you have goals and quests, and can still have a town where you interact with people socially, but just wandering around a virtual town with no purpose seems kind of boring.
              It's more an online social club than anything it seems. Second Life allowed people to make their own worlds and such IIRC. There was a smaller 2D game called BYOND which allowed you to make your own 2D games and have people play them together. VRChat looks more interesting than Metaverse, at least the avatars have full bodies.

Comment

Seems like a BBS with a bit of garnish to me. I might even be interested if a reputable provider produced similar.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It's more an online social club than anything it seems. Second Life allowed people to make their own worlds and such IIRC. There was a smaller 2D game called BYOND which allowed you to make your own 2D games and have people play them together. VRChat looks more interesting than Metaverse, at least the avatars have full bodies.
                  I was on second life for about a month or so (way back around 15 years ago). It was interesting but I got bored and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Seems like a BBS with a bit of garnish to me. I might even be interested if a reputable provider produced similar.
                    It was similar to a role playing game, where you made your own character up, and then you could wander around the world and chat to people, or use virtual coins to buy things. You could also make things and sell them to other players to make more money (or you could purchase the virtual coins with real money). It was kind of like living in the Sims. I think it is still around if you wanted to try.
                    https://secondlife.com/

Comment

"Grounded Vindaloop."

Everything reminds me of a South Park episode.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment