Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lockdowns didn't really work....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Backup View Post

I guess it was supposed to be a joke?

Boy, sure got me. It’s like it’s hard to tell right-wing conspiracies and misinformation from satire.

Poe’s Law
    Or you are just gullible. Did you not notice the reference to flying pigs?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      If you blindly ignore attempts to dismiss the papers on ridiculous grounds then you are little more than a joke and why would I bother with you?
      Because I've looked at the paper and am willing to discuss its actual contents, which is more useful than discussing what people on either side have said about its contents.

But you're not willing to discuss the paper's actual contents, preferring to comment only on what other people have said about it - which is pointless.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Or you are just gullible. Did you not notice the reference to flying pigs?
        It's sometime hard to tell satire from the insane claims of conspiracy theorists.

Poe's Law

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Not really. People often giving spurious reasons for rejecting conclusions they dislike, whether those conclusions are valid or not.

Nor do I find it strange that people are giving spurious reasons for accepting conclusions they dislike.

It's not even strange that people are rejecting the study findings without ever having looked at it. But since I have looked at it, their opinions on it are never going to carry any weight.

Do you have anything to say about that actual contents of the study (assuming you've read it), or are you just another time-waster?

With the lockdown study, the fact that it was trumpeted by COVID deniers and conspiracy theorists and immediately shot down by a bunch of medical sites and mainstream news sources is not a spurious reason to reject it.

When the COVID deniers first started posting it, I said that I thought Johns Hopkins was certainly a legitimate source. But Johns Hopkins publishes lots of information about COVID that the deniers reject. They took the rare move of backing away from this one.

Comment

With the lockdown study, the fact that it was trumpeted by COVID deniers and conspiracy theorists and immediately shot down by a bunch of medical sites and mainstream news sources is not a spurious reason to reject it.
            I don't have time to write much now, but.... yes, it kinda is a spurious reason. It's an argument from authority unless you give the reasons why those medical sites rejected it.

More later maybe.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It's sometime hard to tell satire from the insane claims of conspiracy theorists.

Poe's Law
              A reference to pig's flying should have given any normal person a clue

PS - Poe used to be a member here. He was pretty much an idiot.

Comment

With the lockdown study, the fact that it was trumpeted by COVID deniers and conspiracy theorists and immediately shot down by a bunch of medical sites and mainstream news sources is not a spurious reason to reject it?

When the COVID deniers first started posting it, I said that I thought Johns Hopkins was certainly a legitimate source. But Johns Hopkins publishes lots of information about COVID that the deniers reject. They took the rare move of backing away from this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  I now pronounce you man and wife...
                  I'm beside myself!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm beside myself!
                    You are your own best man:

Comment

Your most intelligent and well thought out post to date.

Keep up the good work

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Your most intelligent and well thought out post to date.

Keep up the good work
                        What wit and wisdom.

Ever think of writing a book of your pithy sayings?

Comment

What wit and wisdom.

Ever think of writing a book of your pithy sayings?
                          Did one on jokes. Ended up selling the material in 2000 to a professional comedian who used much of it in his own book

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment