Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring, Fox News confirmed, setting President Biden up with the first opportunity to fill a vacancy on the high court.

A source close to Breyer told Fox News that the justice will step down at the end of the current Supreme Court term early this summer.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bre...-supreme-court
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

A liberal will replace a liberal. Lots of noise as they try to get this done before the elections.

Cynical prediction: the nominee will be LGBTQ+. Why do I say cynical? Because it won't be the most qualified but allow another check box to be checked.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      A liberal will replace a liberal. Lots of noise as they try to get this done before the elections.

Cynical prediction: the nominee will be LGBTQ+. Why do I say cynical? Because it won't be the most qualified but allow another check box to be checked.
      I put my money on a black woman, or a gay black woman. Must tick all the boxes...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Curious if the Republicans will try to destroy their reputation going back to high school like the Dems did with Kavenaugh. I am guessing not.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring, Fox News confirmed, setting President Biden up with the first opportunity to fill a vacancy on the high court.

A source close to Breyer told Fox News that the justice will step down at the end of the current Supreme Court term early this summer.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bre...-supreme-court
          Looks a bit like Breyer and dems aren't confident in winning the next election, and don't want to chance a repeat of RBG's death during a Republican president

Comment

I foresee pretty much the same which I think will hurt old Joe. He already has their vote sewn up but to do another Affirmative Action selection like he did with his VP, will be hard for the public at large to ignore.

If he picks an Elizabeth Warren-Bernie Sanders approved candidate it will be hard to keep what is left of the remaining veneer of his being a moderate, intact.

Still, as the ultimate long shot I'll again bring up the idea of his nominating Kamala. She's a former State AG and such a move allows old Joe a do-over for picking his replacement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Looks a bit like Breyer and dems aren't confident in winning the next election, and don't want to chance a repeat of RBG's death during a Republican president
              With someone Breyer's age a number of things can come up rather suddenly leading to such a decision.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Biden has already stated he will choose a black woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post
                  So a quota selection?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That keeps Harris in the running.

Comment

Yup, but she will have to check a bunch of other boxes, as well.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yup, but she will have to check a bunch of other boxes, as well.
                        Yeah they already have a black woman. They need LBGTQRSTUV+

Comment

That doesn't exclude her from also being LGBTQ+. The more checkboxes, the better.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

That doesn't exclude her from also being LGBTQ+. The more checkboxes, the better.
                            They should go trans-species also. Maybe one of those people who think they are a cat?

Comment

Maybe a trans-gendered white woman who identifies as a black woman identifying as a lesbian who likes men!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment