Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    They do??

You've got 'T' in there twice.
    Isn't Sotomayer black?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Isn't Sotomayer black?
      Latina - Hispanic. Sotomayor.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Specifically, both of her parents were Puerto Rican.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah. She looks like a light skinned black to me.

I hope he doesn't put Harris in. I can deal with 3 years of her but several decades?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Ah. She looks like a light skinned black to me.

I hope he doesn't put Harris in. I can deal with 3 years of her but several decades?
            There are a lot of "Afro-Puerto Ricans"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can't see Harris accepting a SCOTUS appointment. I think she still wants to run for President. Also, a justice doesn't get as constant media exposure as VP.

The more interesting discussion will be in 2023/2024 when Biden runs again and does he keep her on the ticket. I can't remember the last time a VP wasn't retained on the ticket. FDR maybe when he dropped somebody for Truman?
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I can't see Harris accepting a SCOTUS appointment. I think she still wants to run for President. Also, a justice doesn't get as constant media exposure as VP.

The more interesting discussion will be in 2023/2024 when Biden runs again and does he keep her on the ticket. I can't remember the last time a VP wasn't retained on the ticket. FDR maybe when he dropped somebody for Truman?
                I would be surprised if the last year hasn't soured her somewhat on her prospects for becoming POTUS.

SCOTUS would be a sure thing and a life-time appointment.

Running for POTUS would be a long shot at best.

And old Joe just recently confirmed he would keep the cackler on if he runs in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I would be surprised if the last year hasn't soured her somewhat on her prospects for becoming POTUS.

SCOTUS would be a sure thing and a life-time appointment.

Running for POTUS would be a long shot at best.

And old Joe just recently confirmed he would keep the cackler on if he runs in 2024.
                  You don't get to where she is politically without getting through some obstacles. That it's gotten harder won't deter her. If Joe has said he's keeping her, well scratch her off the list of SCOTUS candidates.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I offered up that theory awhile back.

"The Five" offered up that theory, only they did it in jest, or at least made it appear it was in jest. Ben Shapiro thought they would try and find a way to dump her because of her public rating. As if political moves had anything to do with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      A liberal will replace a liberal. Lots of noise as they try to get this done before the elections.

Cynical prediction: the nominee will be LGBTQ+. Why do I say cynical? Because it won't be the most qualified but allow another check box to be checked.
                      Biden's already promised to nominate a black woman for the role. Perhaps he can find a black, gay woman?
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The theory among some Fox News pundits was that Dems are looking for a way to reboot the Biden admin political disaster, and appointing Harris to scotus and replacing her with someone like say Buttigieg was a way to do it, so that .2 cents might be a good buy.
                        Then whoever those pundits are don't deserve to be listened to. Harris wouldn't be getting the nomination under normal circumstances, but under current circumstances--namely, a Senate that's evenly divided and things more polarized than ever--the nominee has to be someone that every Democrat can get on board with, and nominating Harris will just be a re-do of what happened with Harriet Myers.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Then whoever those pundits are don't deserve to be listened to. Harris wouldn't be getting the nomination under normal circumstances, but under current circumstances--namely, a Senate that's evenly divided and things more polarized than ever--the nominee has to be someone that every Democrat can get on board with, and nominating Harris will just be a re-do of what happened with Harriet Myers.
                          I agree, but for different reasons. Harris won't be nominated because they're obviously setting her up to be #1.

And this whole nominate a black woman promise actually denigrates blacks. Whichever black woman they nominate will always have the stigma of quota over head, regardless pf her qualifications. The left doesn't get this.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I agree, but for different reasons. Harris won't be nominated because they're obviously setting her up to be #1.

And this whole nominate a black woman promise actually denigrates blacks. Whichever black woman they nominate will always have the stigma of quota over head, regardless pf her qualifications. The left doesn't get this.
                            That's what I always loved about Walter Williams -- He liked to point out how glad he was that he "made it" before all this affirmative action stuff, so he had the satisfaction of knowing it was because he EARNED it, not because he was "affirmative actioned" into something.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              Master Swamp-rat Cocaine Mitch may have a swampy way of derailing the nominee.

Also, Turley (WSJ article seems to be paywalled) opines that by explicitly stating he will nominate a black woman, Brandon is technically violating the Constitution as interpreted by SCOTUS itself for decades.
                              Yup, and so much for "content of their character" instead of the color of their skin.

Comment

Its interesting. The GOP has no real power to stop a nomination, which leaves them with the option that was used against Kavanagh. Pure, deliberate, smear. Opposition research will be combing for any molehill that can be made a mountain.

personally this is a nomination that leaves the balance alone. I hope the GOP takes the high road and stays professional, unlike the democrats.

Comment