Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

    Maybe a trans-gendered white woman who identifies as a black woman identifying as a lesbian who likes men!
    That's it!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

      Maybe a trans-gendered white woman who identifies as a black woman identifying as a lesbian who likes men!

      Comment


      • #18
        This would seem to be the perfect opportunity for a Harris VP dump, and VP replacement that everyone seems to be convinced is going to happen. Just offload her to scotus. So if it doesn't happen now, it going to happen.
        "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yeah they already have a black woman.
          They do??

          They need LBGTQRSTUV+
          You've got 'T' in there twice.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Stoic View Post
            You've got 'T' in there twice.
            One for Transgender and one for Transracial.



            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

              Looks a bit like Breyer and dems aren't confident in winning the next election, and don't want to chance a repeat of RBG's death during a Republican president
              If that was the reason he was doing this, Breyer would've retired earlier, when they knew they had a Democratic majority. Or would be retiring right now. Instead the announcement is he plans to retire at the end of the term, which of course runs the risk of some Democratic Senator resigning or dying and getting replaced by a Republican in the intervening period.

              I'm not going to say that the Democrats currently being in power plays no absolutely no part. Breyer and everyone else is aware of the fact that if he were to be replaced right now, his replacement would far more often rule the way he would than a replacement by a Republican president/senate would. But I do think that his primary motivation for retiring is just that he's getting pretty old and is less interested in doing the job.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                If that was the reason he was doing this, Breyer would've retired earlier, when they knew they had a Democratic majority. Or would be retiring right now. Instead the announcement is he plans to retire at the end of the term, which of course runs the risk of some Democratic Senator resigning or dying and getting replaced by a Republican in the intervening period.

                I'm not going to say that the Democrats currently being in power plays no absolutely no part. Breyer and everyone else is aware of the fact that if he were to be replaced right now, his replacement would far more often rule the way he would than a replacement by a Republican president/senate would. But I do think that his primary motivation for retiring is just that he's getting pretty old and is less interested in doing the job.
                Nope,that doesn't wave away that as a reason, sorry. They have plenty of time, he's retiring end of the term, they have all they way until 2023 to do a replacement, no different than Trump with Amy Coney Barrett in swiftness.
                https://apnews.com/article/stephen-b...1fe84f138a9bf8
                https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/polit...ent/index.html
                "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                Comment


                • #23
                  Right now, PredictIt (a betting site) indicates people are overwhelmingly betting on K. Brown Jackson (Ketanji Brown Jackson):
                  https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7718

                  For reference (it will obviously change over time) what it currently says is:
                  K. Brown Jackson: 62
                  Leondra Kruger: 25
                  J. Michelle Childs: 15
                  C. Jackson-Akiwuni: 2
                  Kamala Harris: 2

                  Then several more than are only 1. The way that site works is you can buy as many "shares" as you want for any of the possibilities (in this case, the candidate) and then if you're right, you get $1 for every share you bought. So the higher it costs to buy it for an option, the more likely it is perceived to be that they're the right answer.

                  The above seems to fit with this SCOTUS Blog article that says Ketanji Brown Jackson and Leondra Kruger are the likely frontrunners:
                  https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/01/h...court-nominee/

                  Of course, stuff can easily change between now and June, when Breyer retires.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Master Swamp-rat Cocaine Mitch may have a swampy way of derailing the nominee.

                    Also, Turley (WSJ article seems to be paywalled) opines that by explicitly stating he will nominate a black woman, Brandon is technically violating the Constitution as interpreted by SCOTUS itself for decades.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                    Beige Federalist.

                    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                    Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                    Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

                    Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

                    Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

                    Justice for Matthew Perna!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                      One for Transgender and one for Transracial.


                      Don't forget Trans-species and Transabled. T4
                      "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                      - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                        Right now, PredictIt (a betting site) indicates people are overwhelmingly betting on K. Brown Jackson (Ketanji Brown Jackson):
                        https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7718

                        For reference (it will obviously change over time) what it currently says is:
                        K. Brown Jackson: 62
                        Leondra Kruger: 25
                        J. Michelle Childs: 15
                        C. Jackson-Akiwuni: 2
                        Kamala Harris: 2

                        Then several more than are only 1. The way that site works is you can buy as many "shares" as you want for any of the possibilities (in this case, the candidate) and then if you're right, you get $1 for every share you bought. So the higher it costs to buy it for an option, the more likely it is perceived to be that they're the right answer.

                        The above seems to fit with this SCOTUS Blog article that says Ketanji Brown Jackson and Leondra Kruger are the likely frontrunners:
                        https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/01/h...court-nominee/

                        Of course, stuff can easily change between now and June, when Breyer retires.
                        The theory among some Fox News pundits was that Dems are looking for a way to reboot the Biden admin political disaster, and appointing Harris to scotus and replacing her with someone like say Buttigieg was a way to do it, so that .2 cents might be a good buy.
                        "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Master Swamp-rat Cocaine Mitch may have a swampy way of derailing the nominee.

                          Also, Turley (WSJ article seems to be paywalled) opines that by explicitly stating he will nominate a black woman, Brandon is technically violating the Constitution as interpreted by SCOTUS itself for decades.
                          The irony with the WSJ is that you can still listen to the article that is behind a paywall.

                          I'm always still in trouble again

                          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by seanD View Post

                            The theory among some Fox News pundits was that Dems are looking for a way to reboot the Biden admin political disaster, and appointing Harris to scotus and replacing her with someone like say Buttigieg was a way to do it, so that .2 cents might be a good buy.
                            I offered up that theory awhile back.



                            I'm always still in trouble again

                            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

                              So a quota selection?
                              To be fair Trump did something similar. He promised in advance to replace RBG with another woman -- and did.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                To be fair Trump did something similar. He promised in advance to replace RBG with another woman -- and did.
                                Then both were wrong.
                                That's what
                                - She

                                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                Stephen R. Donaldson

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rogue06, 05-25-2022, 07:46 AM
                                58 responses
                                349 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Juvenal
                                by Juvenal
                                 
                                Started by mossrose, 05-24-2022, 05:08 PM
                                15 responses
                                117 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seanD
                                by seanD
                                 
                                Started by seer, 05-24-2022, 03:59 PM
                                300 responses
                                1,909 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post tabibito  
                                Started by seer, 05-24-2022, 01:26 PM
                                8 responses
                                66 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by seer, 05-23-2022, 12:33 PM
                                25 responses
                                183 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seanD
                                by seanD
                                 
                                Working...
                                X