Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kevin harasses children for wearing masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post

That’s uninteresting that you find that interesting.
    And it's uninteresting that you find my interest uninteresting. Double standards rarely bother most people.

Kevins and Karens can be all races. That you see more white people engaging in crazy entitled behavior is the interesting part.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Karen

Karen
    A pejorative name associated with uptight, middle-class, do-gooder types of white women.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Anyone engaged in such behavior should be prosecuted.
      Gosh, that sounds... um... consistent!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

So what was the purpose of the thread? Did you think we'd commend the nutcase because he's anti-mask?
        I seem to remember you posting the “Delta Karen” incident recently. I didn’t ask you what the purpose was. It’s just interesting to see Karenism in any form, I’m sure you’d agree.

Comment

That’s uninteresting that you find that interesting.

Kevins and Karens can be all races. That you see more white people engaging in crazy entitled behavior is the interesting part.
          The question is whether it's really more common, or just paid more attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

And it's uninteresting that you find my interest uninteresting. Double standards rarely bother most people.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Karen

Karen
            A pejorative name associated with uptight, middle-class, do-gooder types of white women.
            There are several Karen channels on YouTube, all of which post all ethnicities of Karen.

That you are butthurt about not being able to make fun of ethnic names like in the good old days is interesting.

Comment

There are several Karen channels on YouTube, all of which post all ethnicities of Karen.

That you are butthurt about not being able to make fun of ethnic names like in the good old days is interesting.
              I don't think that was the claim. Only the double standard of using stereotypical racial names for mocking purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The question is whether it's really more common, or just paid more attention to.
                It’s probably a more interesting social phenomenon when the Karen is white and driving a Tesla, but I find the compilers of such incidents have no compunction to include all cases of public incivility.

Comment

I seem to remember you posting the “Delta Karen” incident recently. I didn’t ask you what the purpose was. It’s just interesting to see Karenism in any form, I’m sure you’d agree.

Okay, so let's just start a thread about every single nutcase out there that does nutty stuff.

How about the two white women who physically assaulted a black man on an elevator for not wearing a mask and then start to chant "black lives matter" as they tried to force him to leave. At least that had a creepy psychological cult-like edge to it. The OP is just some cantankerous angry dude who likes to bully those weaker than him.

Comment

Where did I say I wanted to make fun of ethnic names? I said it is a double standard that "white" names can be used as a pejorative while ethnic names can't.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't think that was the claim. Only the double standard of using stereotypical racial names for mocking purposes.
                      Which shall henceforth be referred to, forever and ever, as "whagism".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In the societally frowned-upon case, many ethnic names were used as epithets. In the current accepted case, there are only two names not exclusive to whites. There are a lot more black Kevins than black Karens, but still black Karens exist.

Comment

In the societally frowned-upon case, many ethnic names were used as epithets. In the current accepted case, there are only two names not exclusive to whites. There are a lot more black Kevins than black Karens, but still black Karens exist.
                          You see, that's a goalpost move though. The complaint was about stereotypical names, not exclusive names. That would be like complaining about the stereotype of black people eating watermelon, and someone (let's call him Gahw) comes in and says "well whites eat watermelons". It doesn't change the stereotype, and nobody claimed that exclusively black people eat watermelons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Where did I say I wanted to make fun of ethnic names? I said it is a double standard that "white" names can be used as a pejorative while ethnic names can't.
                            Which conveniently ignores the large variety of ethnic names used as epithets, while concurrently denying that black Kevins and Karens exist.

The outrage about a perceived double standard in light of those facts makes you look sad for the olden days when racism was more acceptable. It was less than ten years ago when Howard Stern regularly engaged in that racist talk. Backlash was sure to come from hundreds of years acceptable racist conversation.

Comment

You see, that's a goalpost move though. The complaint was about stereotypical names, not exclusive names. That would be like complaining about the stereotype of black people eating watermelon, and someone (let's call him Gahw) comes in and says "well whites eat watermelons". It doesn't change the stereotype, and nobody claimed that exclusively black people eat watermelons.
                              It seems to me it’s the reverse racism canard repackaged. We’re talking about hundreds of ethnic names being the issue before it became unacceptable versus two. It comes across as particularly snowflakish in proportion to what preceded it.

Comment

Which conveniently ignores the large variety of ethnic names used as epithets, while concurrently denying that black Kevins and Karens exist.
                                No it doesn't. The name was originally used exclusively of short blond haired white women. When "black Karens" are called out, it's typically for acting like a old white shrew who can't mind her own business, like the pejorative has meant for the last 5 years.

The outrage about a perceived double standard in light of those facts makes you look sad for the olden days when racism was more acceptable. It was less than ten years ago when Howard Stern regularly engaged in that racist talk. Backlash was sure to come from hundreds of years acceptable racist conversation.
                                I don't care about the "olden days". That is a strawman you are beating up. You are dodging my point on one hand and excusing it as backlash on the other.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment