Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MSNBC host declares war and "everybody needs to pick up a weapon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Honestly, it seems you are trying to minimize the impact of the rhetoric. Basically "Oh, it's bad to say that, but it's OK because liberals don't do that"

We saw during the BLM riots that they had guns, they used clubs, explosives, molotov cocktails, commercial grade fire-works. So, yes, if they want to get violent, they find ways to get weapons, and trying to deny that is minimizing the rhetoric.
    My favorite was the guy in Wisconsin who the police identified as an antifa organizer, showed up at a riot with a working flamethrower.

Then there's the rapper who in Seattle's Autonomous Zone, passed out AR-16s and the like -- even to minors -- to be used to defend their turf. Kinda wonder if one of those rifles were used to murder either of the people that were shot down for getting too close to their zone.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bike lock, skateboard, gun, knife, bomb?
      Or just barricading the exits from buildings before torching them in hopes of trapping those inside the building where they would burn to death. That happened in several cities.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Sounds like it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language. Like it or not, that clarity makes a difference in whether or not it is reasonable to be concerned about it, and whether or not it can be compared to other words evoking images of violence and aggression like those before the crowd on Jan 6.

I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous, regardless of how clear it is that it was metaphor.
        So, basically...
        • when our side says it, it's absolutely crystal clear it's only rhetoric
        • When the other side says it, is a full blown call to arms, and every effort should be made to track down and...
        You really would have been GOLDEN if you had just said the
        "I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous"
        and avoided the tremendous bias.

Jim, you literally cannot help yourself!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You know Ox, This thread isn't about Trump and January 6th. I will not respond to you further on this here. If you want to discuss your obsession about Trump, start a thread, but I will not respond to you here about it.

(Note: to others dealing with people who want to derail a thread, this is a good example of setting a boundary. The thread isn't mine, I'm not kicking Ox out, or trying to force him on topic. I've stated that the thread does not deal with his derail, and I will not respond to him further on that topic)
          The thread is about caustic rhetoric and the potential for violence it can have, it is also, and perhaps more, about perceived bias in the media as it deals with rhetoric of that form from sources with different viewpoints. Why would you carve out Jan 6 or examples of the same that involve donald trump as being off limits in that discussion? My comments were wholly on target, pointing to even more extreme words and media bias.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As do you. Especially as it relates to how you parse my words. But the one thing you didn't seem to notice is that I presented a balanced response:
            The sad thing is -- I honestly believe that YOU believe your response was perfectly balanced.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sounds like it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language. Like it or not, that clarity makes a difference in whether or not it is reasonable to be concerned about it, and whether or not it can be compared to other words evoking images of violence and aggression like those before the crowd on Jan 6.

I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous, regardless of how clear it is that it was metaphor.
              The link also contains a video of the exchange (if it was YouTube I would have included it). Watch it and come back and tell me with a straight face that "it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language." These folks were serious and meant business.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Only if one can, as she made very clear, "pick up" a withering tweet.

Btw, back in the 60s the Yippies taught how to make a protest sign that can be quickly disassembled and used as a shield and club.
                I guess I've watched too many "SJW fail" videos, to take the average liberal seriously. But recalling, from a distance, the "mostly peaceful" riots that ensued after George Floyd, I did minimise the rhetoric. I stand duly corrected.
                When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

The thread is about caustic rhetoric and the potential for violence it can have, it is also, and perhaps more, about perceived bias in the media as it deals with rhetoric of that form from sources with different viewpoints. Why would you carve out Jan 6 or examples of the same that involve donald trump as being off limits in that discussion? My comments were wholly on target, pointing to even more extreme words and media bias.
                  Actually the thread is about leftists on MSNBC issuing a call to arms -- hardly the only time the left has done so.

And while you can find crackpots on both sides like this, it is only on the left that they include prominent politicians or given a platform to make such announcements.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, basically...
                    • when our side says it, it's absolutely crystal clear it's only rhetoric
                    • When the other side says it, is a full blown call to arms, and every effort should be made to track down and...
                    You really would have been GOLDEN if you had just said the
                    "I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous"
                    and avoided the tremendous bias.

Jim, you literally cannot help yourself!
                    Go back and look carefully at your replies to me and the ratio of ad hominem to objective content.

It does appear you are obsessed, and that the sad reality is that it is you that can't seem to help yourself.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Go back and look carefully at your replies to me and the ratio of ad hominem to objective content.

It does appear you are obsessed, and that the sad reality is that it is you that can't seem to help yourself.
                      I've been very careful with my replies to you, Jim, because you seem to think it's something of a badge of honor for your "blood to be boiling" over things over which you no control. I had suggested we not interact with one another, and you declined, so I'm simply stating what I believe to be the truth.

You have quite a track record here of your extreme bias, and the anger that goes with it.

If you see it as "ad hominem" that I point that out, that's on you.

Comment

Actually the thread is about leftists on MSNBC issuing a call to arms -- hardly the only time the left has done so.

And while you can find crackpots on both sides like this, it is only on the left that they include prominent politicians or given a platform to make such announcements.
                        AND defend the "mostly peaceful" riots, AND make excuses "understanding" why the rioters would act like they do, and "giving them space to destroy"....

Comment

As I said, I will not respond to the January 6th topic from you in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus River View Post

I guess I've watched too many "SJW fail" videos, to take the average liberal seriously. But recalling, from a distance, the "mostly peaceful" riots that ensued after George Floyd, I did minimise the rhetoric. I stand duly corrected.
                            Fair enough.

Comment

As I said, I will not respond to the January 6th topic from you in this thread.
                              A position which I believe is more based more on personal animus than actual principle, but I certainly won't argue your right to set that boundary.

Comment

The link also contains a video of the exchange (if it was YouTube I would have included it). Watch it and come back and tell me with a straight face that "it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language." These folks were serious and meant buisiness.
                                Thanks, I went back and watched it. I think it is fairly obvious it is metaphor. The context of the words of the primary speaker in the clip (2nd from left) are about women's place in the voting rights struggle and the 'fight' wrt the civil rights movement, which under Lewis and King was ALWAYS about peaceful protest and holding your ground through it. The bit about weapons is the last thing said, as a summing it up sort of thing by the host, is said not as a serious comment but in a context of glomming onto the metaphor. I'm not sure how anyone could mistake it for anything else. There is nothing in her voice or demeanor that would lend itself to any other interpretation, certainly nothing that could be mistaken for a call to take up actual arms.

Making a big deal about this particular clip is suspicious. There is literally nothing here. It looks more to me like a hit piece than anything of actual substance.

Comment