Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MSNBC host declares war and "everybody needs to pick up a weapon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSNBC host declares war and "everybody needs to pick up a weapon"

Source: MSNBC's Cross: 'It's a War, and Everybody Needs to Pick Up a Weapon'

Liberals love to accuse conservatives of provoking violence with their rhetoric.

But on her MSNBC show on Saturday morning, MSNBC host Tiffany Cross not only described current political disagreements as a "war," but she exhorted her fellow liberals: "everybody needs to pick up a weapon and get involved."

"Pick up a weapon and get involved?" Imagine if a conservative politician or pundit had said that! There would be immediate calls for the offender to resign or be fired, and perhaps to be prosecuted on charges of inciting violence. Donald Trump was impeached over the January 6 riot without ever having said anything that explicit.

Cross had as a guest Democrat state representative Jasmine Crockett, who is running for Congress in a crowded field of Democrats trying to succeed retiring Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas. Ironically, Cross led off by wondering "How do we as a country protect this democracy when these folks don't like the outcome of the next election," when Biden and the Democrats are now openly suggesting that they don't trust the outcome of the next election.

The MSNBC host warned that was "where they have partisan poll watchers, an open-carry state. It's a very fragile situation that we're in right now." That picture of armed election judges is inflammatory, and not accurate. A bill signed by Gov. Greg Abbott in September does not permit carrying guns in polling places.

Crockett declared that the struggle against Republicans for election integrity, etc., is a "war." Cross didn't merely agree, she upped the ante by a mile: "It is a war, it is indeed a war. And I have to say, they have won some battles, Jasmine, but we have to keep our eye on the war. And everybody needs to pick up a weapon and get involved because this is for the safety and lasting of the country."

These metaphors match Crockett's Twitter page, emblazoned with the words "PASSING THE TORCH. FUELING THE FIRE."

PS: As Mediaite noted approvingly, Cross then mocked Republicans as horror-movie serial killers. “We have to talk about Freddy vs. Jason, and that is, of course, DeSantis v. Trump in 2024. It is very frightening to see how obnoxious these two men compete with each other, and DeSantis is going out of his way to appeal, like, ‘No, I’m the bigger racist.'"

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*All bolding in the original*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

"Pick up a weapon and get involved?" Imagine if a conservative politician or pundit had said that!

Can you imagine how liberal heads would explode if Trump had said it, even if metaphorically?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      "Pick up a weapon and get involved?" Imagine if a conservative politician or pundit had said that!
      Without wishing in any way to minimise MSNBC's appalling rhetoric, what exactly does the average Democrat loving, MSNBC watching "liberal" consider to be a weapon? A withering tweet? A pithily worded placard?
      When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
      - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
      “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

Originally posted by Markus River View Post

Without wishing in any way to minimise MSNBC's appalling rhetoric, what exactly does the average Democrat loving, MSNBC watching "liberal" consider to be a weapon? A withering tweet? A pithily worded placard?
        Bike lock, skateboard, gun, knife, bomb?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Bike lock, skateboard, gun, knife, bomb?
          On a nationwide basis, is that the average? Or the extreme fringe? If it's the average, then trouble looms.
          When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
          - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
          “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Source: MSNBC's Cross: 'It's a War, and Everybody Needs to Pick Up a Weapon'

Liberals love to accuse conservatives of provoking violence with their rhetoric.

But on her MSNBC show on Saturday morning, MSNBC host Tiffany Cross not only described current political disagreements as a "war," but she exhorted her fellow liberals: "everybody needs to pick up a weapon and get involved."

"Pick up a weapon and get involved?" Imagine if a conservative politician or pundit had said that! There would be immediate calls for the offender to resign or be fired, and perhaps to be prosecuted on charges of inciting violence. Donald Trump was impeached over the January 6 riot without ever having said anything that explicit.

Cross had as a guest Democrat state representative Jasmine Crockett, who is running for Congress in a crowded field of Democrats trying to succeed retiring Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas. Ironically, Cross led off by wondering "How do we as a country protect this democracy when these folks don't like the outcome of the next election," when Biden and the Democrats are now openly suggesting that they don't trust the outcome of the next election.

The MSNBC host warned that was "where they have partisan poll watchers, an open-carry state. It's a very fragile situation that we're in right now." That picture of armed election judges is inflammatory, and not accurate. A bill signed by Gov. Greg Abbott in September does not permit carrying guns in polling places.

Crockett declared that the struggle against Republicans for election integrity, etc., is a "war." Cross didn't merely agree, she upped the ante by a mile: "It is a war, it is indeed a war. And I have to say, they have won some battles, Jasmine, but we have to keep our eye on the war. And everybody needs to pick up a weapon and get involved because this is for the safety and lasting of the country."

These metaphors match Crockett's Twitter page, emblazoned with the words "PASSING THE TORCH. FUELING THE FIRE."

PS: As Mediaite noted approvingly, Cross then mocked Republicans as horror-movie serial killers. “We have to talk about Freddy vs. Jason, and that is, of course, DeSantis v. Trump in 2024. It is very frightening to see how obnoxious these two men compete with each other, and DeSantis is going out of his way to appeal, like, ‘No, I’m the bigger racist.'"

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*All bolding in the original*]
            Sounds like it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language. Like it or not, that clarity makes a difference in whether or not it is reasonable to be concerned about it, and whether or not it can be compared to other words evoking images of violence and aggression like those before the crowd on Jan 6.

I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous, regardless of how clear it is that it was metaphor.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-24-2022, 09:33 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

On a nationwide basis, is that the average? Or the extreme fringe? If it's the average, then trouble looms.
              Honestly, it seems you are trying to minimize the impact of the rhetoric. Basically "Oh, it's bad to say that, but it's OK because liberals don't do that"

We saw during the BLM riots that they had guns, they used clubs, explosives, molotov cocktails, commercial grade fire-works. So, yes, if they want to get violent, they find ways to get weapons, and trying to deny that is minimizing the rhetoric.

Comment

Right now, the libs are frantically turning over every rock in search of ANYBODY who said ANYTHING that may have even remotely triggered any involvement in Jan6.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Sounds like it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language. Like it or not, that clarity makes a difference, and puts this diatribe against it in the category of exaggeration and rhetoric. Had it not been so clear, you/they would have a point.
                  You really need to examine your biases.

Comment

You really need to examine your biases.
                    As do you. Especially as it relates to how you parse my words. But the one thing you didn't seem to notice is that I presented a balanced response:

Look again, perhaps you saw it before it had reached its final form.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Sounds like it was absolutely clear it was metaphorical language. Like it or not, that clarity makes a difference in whether or not it is reasonable to be concerned about it, and whether or not it can be compared to other words evoking images of violence and aggression like those before the crowd on Jan 6.

I do agree that right now, any speech evoking images related to warfare and battles as it relates to our political policy and our divided population are at best unwise and potentially dangerous, regardless of how clear it is that it was metaphor.

Comment

Honestly, it seems you are trying to minimize the impact of the rhetoric. Basically "Oh, it's bad to say that, but it's OK because liberals don't do that"

We saw during the BLM riots that they had guns, they used clubs, explosives, molotov cocktails, commercial grade fire-works. So, yes, if they want to get violent, they find ways to get weapons, and trying to deny that is minimizing the rhetoric.
                        I'm not sure there is any greater example of language that minimizes dangerous rhetoric than the attempts by conservatives to play down the rhetoric that incited Jan 6 and the event itself. So if your concern is speaking out against the minimizing of dangerous rhetoric, then there are far more significant examples worthy of your time.

Comment

Only if one can, as she made very clear, "pick up" a withering tweet.

Btw, back in the 60s the Yippies taught how to make a protest sign that can be quickly disassembled and used as a shield and club.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure there is any greater example of language that minimizes dangerous rhetoric than the attempts by conservatives to play down the rhetoric that incited Jan 6 and the event itself. So if your concern is speaking out against the minimizing of dangerous rhetoric, then there are far more significant examples worthy of your time.
                            You know Ox, This thread isn't about Trump and January 6th. I will not respond to you further on this here. If you want to discuss your obsession about Trump, start a thread, but I will not respond to you here about it.

(Note: to others dealing with people who want to derail a thread, this is a good example of setting a boundary. The thread isn't mine, I'm not kicking Ox out, or trying to force him on topic. I've stated that the thread does not deal with his derail, and I will not respond to him further on that topic)
                            Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 01-24-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Particularly if one does a cursory sifting of the rhetoric employed by the left.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment