Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden is winning on one front: Judicial nominees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden is winning on one front: Judicial nominees

President Joe Biden released his 13th round of federal judicial nominations Wednesday, marking another notch in his speedy efforts to appoint judges as he raises the total number of nominees since last January to 83.

Biden's record-setting pace for judicial nominations comes as key legislation under his Build Back Better agenda has faced significant pitfalls in Congress, coupled with a slipping public approval rating, according to data from FiveThirtyEight showing 52% disapproval and 42% approval as of Wednesday.
    But Biden's eight nominations announced on Wednesday further cement his efforts to reshape the federal judiciary with historic diversity, including the first Muslim woman nominee, Nusrat Jahan Choudhury, for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.

Seven of the eight new selections are also women nominees — two black women, a Latina, an Asian American, a Taiwanese immigrant, and another nominee who identifies as Latino, Asian American, and white. In total, 62 out of Biden's 83 selections are women.

"President Biden has spent decades committed to strengthening the federal bench, which is why he continues to move rapidly to fill judicial vacancies," the White House said in a readout. "And he has won confirmation of the most lower court judges for the first year of a presidency since the Kennedy Administration."

Forty-one of Biden's nominees had been confirmed by the Senate as of Jan. 12, doubling the number of federal judges confirmed under former President Donald Trump in 2017, the first year of his administration.

White House chief of staff Ron Klain touted the significant milestone on Twitter in December, saying, "I remember when the GOP used to say that Trump's judicial picks were alone enough to prove his leadership. He won confirmation of 19 judges in 2017."

Democrats in Congress raced to confirm Biden's nominees in the first year of his term amid efforts by the Republican minorities in both chambers to offset the record-breaking trend. Biden's success can largely be attributed to his targeting of "states with no Republican senators or courts with no senators at all," Russell Wheeler, a governance studies expert with the Brookings Institution, told the Washington Examiner in December.

The strategy has allowed the White House to secure confirmations quickly, with little partisan resistance, as Republican Party leaders have touted their belief in a chance to win back the House majority in the 2022 midterm elections.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Is he making additional judges or is he replacing judges that Trump put on the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Is he making additional judges or is he replacing judges that Trump put on the bench?
      I believe it's filling vacancies, mostly.

It's a George Soros initiative - I'll have to find that story - but it's a short-sighted plan, as all across the country, there's an uprising against these insane "no bail" situations, incredibly lax punishments, and "get out of jail free" cases.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He can't replace Trump judges, unless they retired. Trump got 234 judges in total, I don't think Biden will get close to that if we get the Senate.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I believe it's filling vacancies, mostly.

It's a George Soros initiative - I'll have to find that story - but it's a short-sighted plan, as all across the country, there's an uprising against these insane "no bail" situations, incredibly lax punishments, and "get out of jail free" cases.
          What vacancies? I thought Trump filled them all?

Comment

What vacancies? I thought Trump filled them all?
            There were still posts unfilled, and there are always people retiring or moving on - often when a new administration comes in because of the frustration of working with the new DOJ.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

He can't replace Trump judges, unless they retired. Trump got 234 judges in total, I don't think Biden will get close to that if we get the Senate.
              And that's why they're racing to fill those spots -- not a chance after the election.

Comment

And that's why they're racing to fill those spots -- not a chance after the election.
                Pushing through judicial nominees as fast as possible was a goal pretty much from Day 1 of old Joe's Administration. Back when they thought they could ram through their view of election "reform" and remain in charge from now on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The fact that appointing judges is considered a political victory is rather troubling. And, yes, I say that as someone who cheered for Trump's Supreme Court picks.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

President Joe Biden released his 13th round of federal judicial nominations Wednesday, marking another notch in his speedy efforts to appoint judges as he raises the total number of nominees since last January to 83.

Biden's record-setting pace for judicial nominations comes as key legislation under his Build Back Better agenda has faced significant pitfalls in Congress, coupled with a slipping public approval rating, according to data from FiveThirtyEight showing 52% disapproval and 42% approval as of Wednesday.
                    But Biden's eight nominations announced on Wednesday further cement his efforts to reshape the federal judiciary with historic diversity, including the first Muslim woman nominee, Nusrat Jahan Choudhury, for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.

Seven of the eight new selections are also women nominees — two black women, a Latina, an Asian American, a Taiwanese immigrant, and another nominee who identifies as Latino, Asian American, and white. In total, 62 out of Biden's 83 selections are women.

"President Biden has spent decades committed to strengthening the federal bench, which is why he continues to move rapidly to fill judicial vacancies," the White House said in a readout. "And he has won confirmation of the most lower court judges for the first year of a presidency since the Kennedy Administration."

Forty-one of Biden's nominees had been confirmed by the Senate as of Jan. 12, doubling the number of federal judges confirmed under former President Donald Trump in 2017, the first year of his administration.

White House chief of staff Ron Klain touted the significant milestone on Twitter in December, saying, "I remember when the GOP used to say that Trump's judicial picks were alone enough to prove his leadership. He won confirmation of 19 judges in 2017."

Democrats in Congress raced to confirm Biden's nominees in the first year of his term amid efforts by the Republican minorities in both chambers to offset the record-breaking trend. Biden's success can largely be attributed to his targeting of "states with no Republican senators or courts with no senators at all," Russell Wheeler, a governance studies expert with the Brookings Institution, told the Washington Examiner in December.

The strategy has allowed the White House to secure confirmations quickly, with little partisan resistance, as Republican Party leaders have touted their belief in a chance to win back the House majority in the 2022 midterm elections.
                    Starlight informed me that such behavior was 'court packing' when Trump did it (and promptly fled when it was pointed out that Jimmy Carter appointed more than Trump did).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      The fact that appointing judges is considered a political victory is rather troubling. And, yes, I say that as someone who cheered for Trump's Supreme Court picks.
                      Yup. Won't improve unless there is some sort of Constitutional Amendment to put the judiciary back in its box.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Starlight informed me that such behavior was 'court packing' when Trump did it (and promptly fled when it was pointed out that Jimmy Carter appointed more than Trump did).
                        Starlight once again exhibiting all he knows about how the U.S. works

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Star is special.

Comment