Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Old Joe declares 2022 election is rigged -- unless he gets his way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nothing to say about the Dems doing exactly what I described in the other thread which you declared they don't do?

And what do you consider a 'legitimate media source'? Give us an example.
    First sentence so vague I don't even know what you are referencing.

Second sentence is simple. The AP, the BBC, the news arms of the major networks and the news arm of CNN to name a few. The major newspapers with long histories of reporting, the nyt, the wp, wsj, etc. Fox news teeters on the edge of it. The talking heads on the major cable outlets are all just opinion shows, but Carlson especially is a peddler not just of opinion but full on mis and disinformation.

Real journalists and organisations committed to certain standards. And while mistakes are made and bad apples show up (usually not for long) they serve a necessary service. They make it nearly impossible for the government to hide ugly truths about what they might be doing for very long. Bias is a concern, but with a free press, minor bias balances out if you look at sources with a wide range of said minor bias.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Joe said:

"The increase in the prospect of [the midterm election] being illegitimate is in proportion to not being able to get these reforms passed."

Of course if we apply that logic retroactively, he is essentially admitting that the 2020 election wasn't legitimate.
      Or...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It is always tricky calling out a fellow who goes and actually does what he falsely accused you of doing first. A smart tactic really, if you have no conscience. First smear the one that would call you down so people won't trust them. Same tactic used to get a large part of the country to turn off legitimate media sources.
        Only if there wasn't so much evidence that the fellow is indeed engaged in the sort of behavior described. And since there is such evidence, the above post can safely be characterized as hypocritical circling of the wagons to protect those on your side guilty of what you accuse others of doing.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That would be a nearly impossible usurpation in a country this size. I can't imagine Men In Black pushing the little old lady volunteers out the back door in tiny precincts everywhere. And they wouldn't care about those precincts anyway but only the ones in the big cities, and that would not be uniform or a national standard if they ran only those.

Again, the answer is complete transparency at every level. No floor-length black tablecloths, no tinted windows, no stopping counting until they kick people out of the room, no mysterious suitcases, etc. Legislated transparency.
          And let's not forget how every four years they always "find" an uncounted ballot box or two left in someone's trunk in the same %#&@ precincts.

Comment

Second sentence is simple. The AP, the BBC, the news arms of the major networks and the news arm of CNN to name a few. The major newspapers with long histories of reporting, the nyt, the wp, wsj, etc. Fox news teeters on the edge of it. The talking heads on the major cable outlets are all just opinion shows, but Carlson especially is a peddler not just of opinion but full on mis and disinformation.

Real journalists and organisations committed to certain standards. And while mistakes are made and bad apples show up (usually not for long) they serve a necessary service. They make it nearly impossible for the government to hide ugly truths about what they might be doing for very long. Bias is a concern, but with a free press, minor bias balances out if you look at sources with a wide range of said minor bias.
            When the MSM turns into obedient lap dogs any time one party gains power, it makes your description nothing more than a fairy tale at best, and a sick joke at worst. They typically bury, spike and censor stories that can harm those they like (which was why it was left to a rag like the freakin' National Inquirer to break one of the biggest stories of the 1990s -- the Clinton-Lewinsky affair), and when they can't avoid it then they run the story for a day and drop it -- unlike with Republicans where it will remain on the front page for days if not weeks.

Comment

Several people have already @-ed you so don't try to pretend you don't know which comments of yours we are talking about.

Second sentence is simple. The AP, the BBC,
              With you so far, the BBC is decent for coverage of things outside of the UK - not so much things in the UK as that is where they show their biases. AP is moderately decent though recently has been showing some fraying toward unreliability.
              the news arms of the major networks and the news arm of CNN to name a few.
              Literally all complete partisan hacks, nothing legitimate about them.

The major newspapers with long histories of reporting, the nyt, the wp, wsj, etc
              NYT is a complete joke (they once were great, decades ago around the time of Nixon, but seem to have gone back to their 1940s ways). WaPo is middling. WSJ is actually pretty decent still.

Fox news teeters on the edge of it
              I lump them with CNN frankly.

. The talking heads on the major cable outlets are all just opinion shows, but Carlson especially is a peddler not just of opinion but full on mis and disinformation.
              No moreso than Don Lemon, etc.

There are plenty out there that serve that service. Not many in what you listed.

My legitimate sources that I look to and gather info from (aside from the couple I agreed with) France24. ProPublica. The Economist. Foreign Affairs. Reason.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                When the MSM turns into obedient lap dogs any time one party gains power, it makes your description nothing more than a fairy tale at best, and a sick joke at worst. They typically bury, spike and censor stories that can harm those they like (which was why it was left to a rag like the freakin' National Inquirer to break one of the biggest stories of the 1990s -- the Clinton-Lewinsky affair), and when they can't avoid it then they run the story for a day and drop it -- unlike with Republicans where it will remain on the front page for days if not weeks.
                This post is a good example of bias. This simply isn't an objective description of the MSM. I've been tempted many times over the last year to put up serious critiques of Biden administration mistakes in the MSM. Stories that dig into and expose what is going on that is not good or dangerous. Including several issues you and others have raised here. That is their job, and they mostly do it well.

I frequently compare conservative vs liberal media sources to look not just at how they report a given story, but the kinds of stories they put up front for their audience. And the legitimate sources I list are far more even handed than fox or other sources we see used here.

i expect you will raise MSM coverage of Trump as a counter, and the problem there is the massive echochamber denial of how bad Trump was and is that is found here in this web community. No one, democrat or republican, who did what Trump did would have been spared such an outcome. But you, and most of the conservative voices heard here, do not understand that is reality.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This post is a good example of bias. This simply isn't an objective description of the MSM. I've been tempted many times over the last year to put up serious critiques of Biden administration mistakes in the MSM. Stories that dig into and expose what is going on that is not good or dangerous. Including several issues you and others have raised here. That is their job, and they mostly do it well.

I frequently compare conservative vs liberal media sources to look not just at how they report a given story, but the kinds of stories they put up front for their audience. And the legitimate sources I list are far more even handed than fox or other sources we see used here.

i expect you will raise MSM coverage of Trump as a counter, and the problem there is the massive echochamber denial of how bad Trump was and is that is found here in this web community. No one, democrat or republican, who did what Trump did would have been spared such an outcome. But you, and most of the conservative voices heard here, do not understand that is reality.
                  Trump really lives in your head rent free, doesn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    When Democrats say that everybody should have the right to vote, they literally mean everybody.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This post is a good example of bias.
                      That's okay. You don't need to warn us. We already know what your posts contain.

Comment

Trump really lives in your head rent free, doesn't he?
                        If anything, Trump is charging ox!
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Several people have already @-ed you so don't try to pretend you don't know which comments of yours we are talking about.
                          To be fair, I've often stumbled upon posts where I have been @-ed, but that's the only time I've ever seen that post. No notification whatsoever that I was @-ed.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know what you are referencing. If you quote it, ill respond to it, but as it is, I'm not going to waste my time responding based on a guess

With you so far, the BBC is decent for coverage of things outside of the UK - not so much things in the UK as that is where they show their biases. AP is moderately decent though recently has been showing some fraying toward unreliability.

Literally all complete partisan hacks, nothing legitimate about them.

NYT is a complete joke (they once were great, decades ago around the time of Nixon, but seem to have gone back to their 1940s ways). WaPo is middling. WSJ is actually pretty decent still.

I lump them with CNN frankly.

No moreso than Don Lemon, etc.
                            I said the were all opinion based shows, but there is nothing on CNN that can compare to Carlson's jan 6 false flag fantasy show.

There are plenty out there that serve that service. Not many in what you listed.

My legitimate sources that I look to and gather info from (aside from the couple I agreed with) France24. ProPublica. The Economist. Foreign Affairs. Reason.
                            I'll be glad to check them out. I'm always interested in seing what others view as balanced reporting.

Comment

I'll be glad to check them out. I'm always interested in seing what others view as balanced reporting.
                              Do you think you are biased, Jim?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know what you are referencing. If you quote it, ill respond to it, but as it is, I'm not going to waste my time responding based on a guess
                                your claims about Hillary conceding gracefully, about Dems not contesting the election, etc.,

I said the were all opinion based shows, but there is nothing on CNN that can compare to Carlson's jan 6 false flag fantasy show.
                                They literally spent 3 years pushing the dossier lie. That's more than comparable to whatever cucker said that offended your delicate sensibilities.

Well you certainly need it because most of your sources are utter trash.

Comment