Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The men getting vasectomies to save the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Are you surprised?
    Not a bit - it's actually prophesy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why is it stupid to have a vasectomy because of concerns about over-population and the impact of climate change?
      One does not require an operation if one possesses even a little bit of self control. Moreover, these are typically folks who woulda had one or two kids which hardly contributes to over-population so it is in effect nothing but more virtue signaling.

As an aside Saturday I watched one of those old early 50s horror movies with giant spiders. It became large enough to walk over a house without touching it.

Anywho... it grew as a result of a scientist developing a nutrient to cause animals to grow as a way of solving overpopulation and an inability to feed everyone. He grimly predicted that by 2000 there would be 4 billion people. We actually had half again as many as that.

Today, with nearly 8 billion we aren't seeing the famines of the past. Food can be shipped in to an area hit in short order. In fact, the only time we see mass starvation is when someone prevents the food from being shipped to the people in need for political or religious reasons. IOW, famines are now man-made and not natural.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An recent interesting article in the Guardian about the number of young men who are getting vasectomies for the good of the planet.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...andable-choice
        Nick Demediuk, an Australian GP and one of the world’s most prolific vasectomy clinicians, says most of his patients are fathers over the age of 35. But the doctor, who has completed more than 40,000 procedures since 1981, now estimates that about 200 of the 4,000 patients his clinic sees each year are younger men without kids. About 130 of them say they are doing it for the planet.

I can see their point given the impact that climate change is going to have on this planet and societies. I think the same thing despite having three adult sons.

Matthew Schneider-Mayerson, an associate professor of environmental studies at Yale-NUS College in Singapore, is the author of a forthcoming book about “eco-reproductive” choice. Last year, he carried out a detailed survey of 600 people aged 27 to 45 who were worried about the climate crisis. Of these, 96% worried that their children would struggle to thrive in or even survive the worst-case climate scenarios, while 60% were concerned about the carbon footprint of their potential offspring.

Of course there is always adoption as well so couples do not have to be childless.

Vasectomies don’t necessarily preclude parenting. Rodney Pohl, 26, an IT technician, is planning to foster or adopt with his wife, Carrie, who watched Pohl’s vasectomy at the SimpleVas clinic near their home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, last June. The couple were motivated partly by weather extremes and what they foretold. A recent polar vortex had taken out the power on their street for 10 days. “We had neighbours breastfeeding small infants and we were sharing generators to try to keep their fridge going, to not waste [expressed] milk,” Pohl says.

In Essex, Williamson, who is not in a long-term relationship, says he may also adopt one day. “There are more than enough children and young adults already out there who could have a loving home and family – it doesn’t have to be your own blood,” he says. Neither he nor Miller expect to regret their vasectomies. Pohl says he very occasionally feels pangs of broodiness. “But I quickly move on,” he says.

The article also refers to an American film maker called Jonathan Stack who has co-founded World Vasectomy Day to address myths and stigmas about modern vasectomies and to promote it as a form of birth control.

I found the WVD site and there is an interesting 3 minute video showing Dr Esgar Guarin and his mobile vasectomy unit.https://wvd.org/the-us-vasectomy-tour/follow-the-story/

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of this peripatetic family planning unit which strikes me as a very good way of spreading the message as well as giving men the opportunity to have the operation.

As Guarin notes in the video when people are faced with something they had neither encountered nor considered before it tends to generates a conversation.

Certainly entirely their choice. But it's sad that alarmism over climate change and 'overpopulation' is driving them to make such a choice. Neither of those things is a reason to do that. But, as you note, adoption is an option, so perhaps we will see higher adoption rates, which would be an actual positive result to this.

Comment

For the planet and anthropogenic impacts on it that might be a very good thing.
          Self eugenics program?

Comment

Why is it stupid to have a vasectomy because of concerns about over-population and the impact of climate change?
            Neither of those things require a cut to population. Climate alarmism might be scary, but the reality is we'll simply need to adjust to the changing climate like we have for millenia. No need to snip yourslef for humanity to do that.

As to overpopulation, that's been a myth since that idiotic "The Population Bomb" spewed its nonsense in the 1960s. We are not remotely close to overpopulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Another thread by H_A that nobody really disagrees with. I wonder how she will derail it to start a fight?
              Oh! Let me do it instead!

I don’t think HA has any right to discuss this subject since she isn’t a man!

At least I don’t think she is….

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                One does not require an operation if one possesses even a little bit of self control. Moreover, these are typically folks who woulda had one or two kids which hardly contributes to over-population so it is in effect nothing but more virtue signaling.

As an aside Saturday I watched one of those old early 50s horror movies with giant spiders. It became large enough to walk over a house without touching it.

Anywho... it grew as a result of a scientist developing a nutrient to cause animals to grow as a way of solving overpopulation and an inability to feed everyone. He grimly predicted that by 2000 there would be 4 billion people. We actually had half again as many as that.

Today, with nearly 8 billion we aren't seeing the famines of the past. Food can be shipped in to an area hit in short order. In fact, the only time we see mass starvation is when someone prevents the food from being shipped to the people in need for political or religious reasons. IOW, famines are now man-made and not natural.
                The biggest problem we have right now wrt food/'overpopulation' is animal agriculture and the staggering amount of land and resources required to produce the meat that billions eat. But that seems to be WELL on its way toward being solved with lab grown meat, culture-grown dairy, etc.. As those technologies develop further (along with plant based alternatives that have been booming), there will be less and less need/reason for raising animals for their flesh/milk/eggs/etc., which will end with enormous amounts of land opened up to grow crops for humans (instead of to bulk up animals, which is what most of our plant foods currently go to).

Comment

For anyone that stupid it might just be a good thing that they took themselves out of the gene pool.
                  A lot of them are doing that via abortion, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Personally, I think those who get vasectomies to protect the planet should not be allowed to breed. :D

Comment

One does not require an operation if one possesses even a little bit of self control.
                      You seem not to understand that these men are entitled to make decisions concerning their own bodies and if they want a vasectomy they are entitled to have one.

Moreover, these are typically folks who woulda had one or two kids which hardly contributes to over-population so it is in effect nothing but more virtue signaling.
                      How do you know?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Neither of those things require a cut to population. Climate alarmism might be scary, but the reality is we'll simply need to adjust to the changing climate like we have for millenia. No need to snip yourslef for humanity to do that.

As to overpopulation, that's been a myth since that idiotic "The Population Bomb" spewed its nonsense in the 1960s. We are not remotely close to overpopulation.
                        Again, I think this is entirely a matter for the individual.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Self eugenics program?
                          I doubt all men will follow suit.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Not a bit - it's actually prophesy.
                            How's that?
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Again, I think this is entirely a matter for the individual.
                              I believe I stated such in my first post on this thread.....

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It is still about not having children, it still makes children the problem.
                                These men consider that humans are the problem concerning our population; and that combined with the impact of climate change they feel they do not want to bring children into an environmentally degraded world.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                It is anti-human. 70 years from now? Same old same old, with more people...
                                Hardly!. Old people exist. Unconceived children do not.

Unless you are going to start a campaign maintaining Every Sperm is Sacred!
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment