Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CDC Finally Admits Cloth Masks Were Always Political Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I agree - except wrt 'true nature'. you confuse wanting to wake people to the danger of the wrong ideas they have embraced with wanting to be hurtful or destructive.

however, it is becoming clear that to be effective I need to find ways of drawing attention to the danger of the misinformation that are not themselves counter productive,, that do not lend themselves to being interpreted as direct attacks on the reader. In technical terms I'm not directly attacking individuals, but that is not how my words are being perceived.
    It would help if you would dial down the rhetoric, and stop the "my blood is boiling" stuff. You'll never win anybody over to your position the way you rant and carry on about how ignorant everybody else is, and getting really angry about something like this does nobody any good - especially you, Jim.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      https://www.wbrc.com/2022/01/16/infe...ne-eventually/

Infectious disease experts are now warning that COVID-19 will likely infect almost everyone at some point.

For Alabama, transmission of COVID-19 is high across the entire state, meaning its really easy to catch right now.

The state’s percent positivity rate is at more than 41 percent ,and state health leaders said it’s supposed to be less than five percent.

Infectious disease expert Dr. David Kimberlin said this variant is spreading faster than he has ever seen. It’s about eight times more contagious than the original COVID strain
      Yes, given the behavior demonstrated by much of the population throughout the pandemic, there is really no stopping it.

The best we can hope to do is to slow it down enough so that our hospitals aren't overwhelmed. And even that seems pretty unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It would help if you would dial down the rhetoric, and stop the "my blood is boiling" stuff. You'll never win anybody over to your position the way you rant and carry on about how ignorant everybody else is, and getting really angry about something like this does nobody any good - especially you, Jim.
        Again, we agree - depending on how one defines rhetoric. I'm not one to tell a half truth or avoid telling the truth just because someone doesn't like hearing it. The trick - for me at least - is finding ways to communicate an idea that do not unnecessarily provoke offense.

That the truth can provoke offense without justification is something we see in the NT in the story of Christ and the Apostles. But that it can happen is not an excuse for carelessly saying things in ways that are themselves hostile or purposefully provocative.

Do you agree with that as well?

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-18-2022, 12:45 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Again, we agree - depending on how one defines rhetoric. I'm not one to tell a half truth or avoid telling the truth just because someone doesn't like hearing it. The trick - for me at least - is finding ways to communicate an idea that do not unnecessarily provoke offense.
          And that's far more difficult in writing where there's no facial expression, tone of voice, body language....

That the truth can provoke offense without justification is something we see in the NT in the story of Christ and the Apostles. But that it can happen is not an excuse for carelessly saying things in ways that are themselves hostile or purposefully provocative.
          Often, even the Truth spoken in love will provoke an undesirable response, or even an attack.

Do you agree with that as well?
          Sure, do you agree that it's not healthy for you (or others) to be "blood boiling mad" about something over which you have little to no control?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And that's far more difficult in writing where there's no facial expression, tone of voice, body language....

Often, even the Truth spoken in love will provoke an undesirable response, or even an attack.

Yep, absolutely on both counts. .

Sure, do you agree that it's not healthy for you (or others) to be "blood boiling mad" about something over which you have little to no control?
            in one sense yes, in another no. Anger has both a positive and a negative capacity. "Be angry, yet do not sin" is one scripture on the topic. I think there are times when if one isn't angered by some evil, it means something is wrong. We should not be so laid back and chill we just don't care about the evil happening in the world All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing..

OTOH, it is also very important that when we do become angry over some evil we find a productive and useful outlet for the energy it gives us. And that we make sure we are angry over an actual evil and what it is doing to others, not just angry because we ourselves are inconvenienced.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-18-2022, 01:27 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yep, absolutely on both counts. .

in one sense yes, in another no. Anger has both a positive and a negative capacity. "Be angry, yet do not sin" is one scripture on the topic. I think there are times when if one isn't angered by some evil, it means something is wrong. We should not be so laid back and chill we just don't care about the evil happening in the world All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing..
              Extremes, Jim. "Being laid back and chill and do nothing" is one extreme - going to war with your brothers in Christ is another.

OTOH, it is also very important that when we do become angry over some evil we find a productive and useful outlet for the energy it gives us. And that we make sure we are angry over an actual evil and what it is doing to others, not just angry because we ourselves are inconvenienced.
              And it is my personal opinion that you have allowed the whole Trump thing to cause you to go extremes. Have you won over anybody to your point of view the way you've handled this? Do you really think you will?

My concern, Jim, is that this kind of thing becomes a cancer than eats us up from the inside, and the only thing people see on the outside is "one angry dude".

Comment

Extremes, Jim. "Being laid back and chill and do nothing" is one extreme - going to war with your brothers in Christ is another.

And it is my personal opinion that you have allowed the whole Trump thing to cause you to go extremes. Have you won over anybody to your point of view the way you've handled this? Do you really think you will?

My concern, Jim, is that this kind of thing becomes a cancer than eats us up from the inside, and the only thing people see on the outside is "one angry dude".
                You are entitled to your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  smoke.JPG

Comment

You are entitled to your opinions.
                    Opinions based on sound reason and Christian principles, which you are certainly free to ignore.

Comment

Opinions based on sound reason and Christian principles, which you are certainly free to ignore.
                      A spec of meat in a broth of bile.

Comment

A spec of meat in a broth of bile.
                        Awwww, back to your old self. Jim, just because you are consumed with hate (it really does show up in just about every post about Trump or GOP or conservatives) doesn't mean everybody else is consumed with hate, or posts with hatred as a motive.

Your obsession with poison and boiling blood and bile is noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

No one ever said that masks can "fully protect" anyone. All they have ever been claimed to do is reduce the chance of transmission. (And they do a much better job of preventing you from infecting others than they do of preventing others from infecting you.)
                          It seems to be a takeaway from a number of people at least. For example, my boss told everybody that because masking would prevent you from contracting Covid, catching it would be on you and no sick time would be given to hourly employees who got it.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

It seems to be a takeaway from a number of people at least. For example, my boss told everybody that because masking would prevent you from contracting Covid, catching it would be on you and no sick time would be given to hourly employees who got it.
                            I think you need a new boss. That one is either an idiot or a jerk, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think you need a new boss. That one is either an idiot or a jerk, or both.
                              Hey, he's just following the science, right?
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Hey, he's just following the science, right?
                                In fairness, she's just the messenger from what's higher up.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment