Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hostage situation at synagogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, given he was a "person of color" shot dead by police, I'm surprised there aren't protests and armchair quarterbacks talking about how wrong that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
      Do you think the hostages escaped or did he let them go?
      One report had him chasing the last two while holding a gun, but quickly ducking back into the building: Dramatic footage captured the moment two of three remaining hostages ran out of the temple, with the gun totting terrorist right behind them before he quickly retreated inside after seeing the nearby SWAT team

Malik Faisal Akram was a British national, and police over there say they have two teenagers ... in custody in connection with the standoff but not saying if they'll be charged.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Reckon he had to go pee or something?

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post

More on that and on the backround from the BBC. He was a British citizen:

"British citizen Malik Faisal Akram, 44, from Blackburn, was shot dead after a standoff with police in Colleyville."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60019251
          Reading the article on your link it appears this is going to involve investigations in three continents

This FBI-led investigation is likely to spread across three continents, focussing primarily on what is known about hostage-taker Malik Faisal Akram here in the UK, as well as anyone who may have helped him, either in the UK or the US.

One also wonders what connection the two Mancunian teens had to the incident. Of course they may simply be related to Akram.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The FBI has now said it was a terrorism incident targeting the Jewish community, walking back earlier comments that claimed it wasn't. Guessing someone got in trouble for that one

https://www.insider.com/texas-synago...-matter-2022-1

Comment

The earlier statement from the one FBI agent was technically correct. But it was widely interpreted as meaning that the synagogue was not targeted because Jews were there. The technical wording of his statement would not exclude that, but it was so confusing that it would have been better not to say it. The hysterical reactions to it are silly though.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

How Texas synagogue hostages used security training to flee

The Congregation Beth Israel synagogue in Colleyville, Tex. (Andy Jacobsohn/AFP/Getty Images)

By Bryan Pietsch

Today at 7:20 a.m. EST

They had been held hostage for 11 hours inside their Texas synagogue when their frustrated captor hung up with negotiators and told them to kneel.

The suspect, Malik Faisal Akram,“had been going all day,” Jeffrey Cohen, one of the four hostages held Saturday at Congregation Beth Israel, said in an interview with The Washington Post. Akram had complained to the hostages that hewas cold and that he hadn’t eaten anything except potato chips.

Police were called about 11 a.m. after Akram, armed with a gun and explosives, captured Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker, Cohen and two other congregants of Beth Israel, a tightknit community of about 155 families in Colleyville, Tex., a suburb of Fort Worth and Dallas. One hostage, an older man, was released before the others.

The hostages made a pact that they would not try to escape individually, leaving the others to deal with the repercussions.They would all make it out alive together.

Instead of kneeling as Akram had ordered them, Cohen, 57, said he defied the attacker’s demand. He stood upand mouthed the word “no,” looking Akram straight in the eyes.

“I was not going to let him assassinate us,” Cohen said. “I was not going to beg for my life and just have him kill us.”

‘Being Jewish and alive shouldn’t be a miracle’: World reacts to Texas synagogue attack

Rather than shooting Cohen, Akram backed down. He turned around and put his gun down to pour some soda, Cohen said.

Cytron-Walker, the rabbi, seized on the moment, yelling “run” and throwing a chair at Akram as the three hostages ran out. They had subtly oriented themselves toward the path of an exit throughout the day, waiting for the right time to escape.

Cohen and Cytron-Walker, along with other members of the congregation, had received training on how to manage potential threats — one of the reasons, they say, they came out alive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gogue-hostage/

Comment

I was pleased to discover that the members of the Synagogue had been through the very same active shooter training our Church has.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I was pleased to discover that the members of the Synagogue had been through the very same active shooter training our Church has.
                    Well since this was in Texas, I am surprised everyone in the synagogue wasn't armed already!

66yT.gif

Comment