Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I like Greg Gutfeld. I don't care for Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingram, or Hannity. They are just a bit too extreme for me with their conspiracy crap. I also like Brett Baer - he seems to do an excellent job of reporting the news without injecting his personal views into the mix. I do like to watch "The Five" - that is about the only regular opinion show I watch regularly on Fox News.
    Well, there ya go!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, and Jesse Watters will be up against Wheel of Fortune.
      I'm not a fan of Watters dating back to when he was O'Reilly's stooge who conducted ambush interviews which I'm no fan of.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        CNN has Family Feud on? Well if that don't beat all.

It would come as no surprise if CNN had experienced massive drop in viewership. They pretty much were the impeachment network even more so than MSNBC, and with Trump gone they really didn't know what to do and it shows. But 90%?

And all the scandals plaguing the network, many of which they ignored, hasn't helped.
        Winning at cable news is like punching really hard … for a girl. These are tiny audiences even in prime time. The regular network newscasts dwarf them even before we look at the network primetime shows. Family Feud in syndication, running in the morning and early fringe beats the best of the best of FNC primetime.

So meh, or as I like to say to the toddlers when they’ve avoided an accident … Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Winning at cable news is like punching really hard … for a girl. These are tiny audiences even in prime time. The regular network newscasts dwarf them even before we look at the network primetime shows. Family Feud in syndication, running in the morning and early fringe beats the best of the best of FNC primetime.

So meh, or as I like to say to the toddlers when they’ve avoided an accident … Good for you!
          Cable news, like the network's evening news broadcasts don't have large audiences -- something everyone realizes. But there sure were a few posters here touting how both CNN and MSNBC beat Fox in viewership roughly a year ago.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The point is that CNN is dropping like a rock.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cable news, like the network's evening news broadcasts don't have large audiences -- something everyone realizes. But there sure were a few posters here touting how both CNN and MSNBC beat Fox in viewership roughly a year ago.
              Yup, and the pendulum has pendumalated.

Comment

Sexist of you to say so.

However, what you are neglecting is that cable news exists in it's own little ecosystem. So, while it's ratings are small compared to other things, what is relevant is how it fares with it's more direct competition. So, while it's painfully obvious you are trying very hard to spin this negative news, it's definitely not good news for CNN.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Sexist of you to say so.

However, what you are neglecting is that cable news exists in it's own little ecosystem. So, while it's ratings are small compared to other things, what is relevant is how it fares with it's more direct competition. So, while it's painfully obvious you are trying very hard to spin this negative news, it's definitely not good news for CNN.
                  Stop focusing on the main point and get to the peripheral stuff!

Comment

Stop focusing on the main point and get to the peripheral stuff!
                    To the contrary, cable news is peripheral.

Comment

CNN has Family Feud on? Well if that don't beat all.

It would come as no surprise if CNN had experienced massive drop in viewership. They pretty much were the impeachment network even more so than MSNBC, and with Trump gone they really didn't know what to do and it shows. But 90%?
                      As noted, the 90% (actually "almost 90%") comes by comparing their ratings during a super-big news time (the week of January 6 of last year) with a not-so-big news time (that time period this year). It's similar to saying a network lost 95% of their audience by comparing the viewership on Super Bowl Sunday to the same date next year (which would obviously not be the date of the Super Bowl).

One should always be extremely wary on press releases from networks either bragging about their own ratings or saying others are doing poorly. They are very adept at spinning numbers by doing things like this.

Comment

To the contrary, cable news is peripheral.
                        Not to people who watch cable news, Jesse.

Comment

Not to people who watch cable news, Jesse.
                          Cable news is only slightly less damaging than crack cocaine, and an oxymoron to boot. Whatever it is, when it comes to informing the public, its popularity is meaningless.

News comes from newspapers.

If it's broadcast, it's either talking heads spouted half-formed opinions or carelessly collected factoids that can't be selected and googled to check or cherry-picked because they've got compelling video — and compelling because it presents an exaggerated impression. In any case, it's an opportunity cost, misinformation that actively prevents learning what's actually going on in the world by teaching things that just ain't so. If learning is hard, unlearning is twice that.

Comment

Comment

Cable news is only slightly less damaging than crack cocaine, and an oxymoron to boot. Whatever it is, when it comes to informing the public, its popularity is meaningless.

If it's broadcast, it's either talking heads spouted half-formed opinions or carelessly collected factoids that can't be selected and googled to check or cherry-picked because they've got compelling video — and compelling because it presents an exaggerated impression. In any case, it's an opportunity cost, misinformation that actively prevents learning what's actually going on in the world by teaching things that just ain't so. If learning is hard, unlearning is twice that.
                              I appreciate your input, Jesse. I posted the thread for comment, and yours is certainly welcome.

Comment

"newspapers" today merely report what other newspapers report that other newspapers report, that usually end up being something said by someone on TV, or social media. It's all a huge game of telephone and you have to be a freaking detective to dig down to the original story most of the time. Which is usually behind a paywall.

Comment