Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience

Fox News tops ESPN as most-watched cable network while CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience

I like Jesse Wattes --- good on him! Not so much Tucker Carlson or Greg Gutfeld.

Fox News Channel kicked off the new year as the No. 1 basic cable network from Jan. 3-9, 2022, as CNN saw staggering declines, shedding nearly 90% of its early 2021 audience in multiple categories.

CNN averaged 2.7 million viewers from Jan. 4-10 last year as the network experienced a brief post-election spike but plummeted to only 548,000 average viewers last week, for a stunning year-over-year drop of 80% of its total audience.

During the same time periods, Fox News averaged 1.4 million total viewers last week for only a 15% drop compared to the first full week of 2021, when a jam-packed news cycle that included the Capitol riot ensued. Fox News has now outdrawn CNN and MSNBC combined for 21 straight weeks. Fox also outdrew NFL-heavy ESPN’s 1.1 million viewers to finish as the most-watched basic cable option.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This is a press release from Fox News. Somehow I doubt they are particularly neutral in the question of how their ratings are doing and how CNN's ratings are doing.

Ratings press releases are one of places where networks have the most bias and have the most opportunities to skew the numbers. I remember how series that were massive flops and cancelled after a few episodes were still (prior to their cancellation) being used in the press releases, with them finding ways to pull out claims like "improved 20% in its timeslot!" through highly selective comparisons.

So, for example, this press release is trying to make much about CNN suffering a big decrease in viewership this week compared to this week last year. Well, duh, last year there was astounding press coverage because of what happened at the Capital. Might as well compare viewership on February 2 2020 (Super Bowl) to February 2 of 2021 (no Super Bowl).

So the claim of "CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience" is rather misleading because it's basically comparing one specific week (in which it got a big boost in ratings) with a more regular week.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      This is a press release from Fox News. Somehow I doubt they are particularly neutral in the question of how their ratings are doing and how CNN's ratings are doing.
      Thirty seconds with Nielsen shows ... Family Feud beats Tucker Carlson nearly three to one

And don't get me started on the TikTokers
      Born: May 1, 2004 (age 17 years), Norwalk, CT
      Full name: Charli Grace D'Amelio
      Followers: 130.9 million

Spinning ratings is what I used to do for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Thirty seconds with Nielsen shows ... Family Feud beats Tucker Carlson nearly three to one

CNN has Family Feud on? Well if that don't beat all.

It would come as no surprise if CNN had experienced massive drop in viewership. They pretty much were the impeachment network even more so than MSNBC, and with Trump gone they really didn't know what to do and it shows. But 90%?

And all the scandals plaguing the network, many of which they ignored, hasn't helped.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          CNN has Family Feud on? Well if that don't beat all.

It would come as no surprise if CNN had experienced massive drop in viewership. They pretty much were the impeachment network even more so than MSNBC, and with Trump gone they really didn't know what to do and it shows. But 90%?

And all the scandals plaguing the network, many of which they ignored, hasn't helped.
          I believe there's a reason CNN has started changing it's tune and is starting to act like "regular news" again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Fox News tops ESPN as most-watched cable network while CNN sheds nearly 90% of 2021 audience

I like Jesse Wattes --- good on him! Not so much Tucker Carlson or Greg Gutfeld.

Fox News Channel kicked off the new year as the No. 1 basic cable network from Jan. 3-9, 2022, as CNN saw staggering declines, shedding nearly 90% of its early 2021 audience in multiple categories.

CNN averaged 2.7 million viewers from Jan. 4-10 last year as the network experienced a brief post-election spike but plummeted to only 548,000 average viewers last week, for a stunning year-over-year drop of 80% of its total audience.

During the same time periods, Fox News averaged 1.4 million total viewers last week for only a 15% drop compared to the first full week of 2021, when a jam-packed news cycle that included the Capitol riot ensued. Fox News has now outdrawn CNN and MSNBC combined for 21 straight weeks. Fox also outdrew NFL-heavy ESPN’s 1.1 million viewers to finish as the most-watched basic cable option.
            Agree with you on Carlson and Gutfeld plus I would add Hannity and Levin to the list. I like Harrison Faulkner and Steve Hilton and enjoy the shows Outnumbered and The Five when I can catch them.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I believe there's a reason CNN has started changing it's tune and is starting to act like "regular news" again.
              I will give CNN credit. Their news shows (not the nightly and weekend opinion shows) are more professional than Fox.

I do find I have to watch both networks plus my local news to get more complete coverage.
              Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 01-13-2022, 07:34 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Inflation numbers should have been the top news story yesterday, but CNN's top story was Trump making a speech. I'll just leave that here for your own judgment.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Agree with you on Carlson and Gutfeld plus I would add Hannity and Levin to the list. I like Harrison Faulkner and Steve Hilton and enjoy the shows Outnumbered and The Five when I can catch them.
                  I liked Gutfeld when he hosted Red Eye and when he was on The Five (then they moved it to PM then back but I rarely see it now).

I love the fact that his show has been creaming the network's Late Night shows

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I will give CNN credit. Their news shows (not the nightly and weekend opinion shows) are more professional than Fox.

I do find I have to watch both networks plus my local news to get more complete coverage.
                    For years I have strongly recommend getting your news from "both sides" if you want an accurate picture. Or at least as accurate as you can get.

Comment

I like Greg Gutfeld. I don't care for Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingram, or Hannity. They are just a bit too extreme for me with their conspiracy crap. I also like Brett Baer - he seems to do an excellent job of reporting the news without injecting his personal views into the mix. I do like to watch "The Five" - that is about the only regular opinion show I watch regularly on Fox News.

Comment

From your link:

ratings.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          This is a press release from Fox News.
                          I knew somebody would lead with that. You simply need to look at the numbers they cite, and see if you can dispute them.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, and Jesse Watters will be up against Wheel of Fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

There's hope. I used to be a CNN fan way back in the day.

Comment